mnchartier

Lip Removal?

The last time I removed a lip it was very easy.First buy a new plug,then go fishing,and on your third cast(with new plug)hit a small rock ever so lightly and you will be amazed at how easy it is.I'm sorry but I had to vent about it to someone,five bucks gone in about eight minutes.I have removed one with a razor blade and exacto.Just run the blade on top and bottom,and wiggle it a bit...Robert

The best thing to do is contact the maker of the bait. Tell them you would like to mold one of there baits and ask them if you can have one with out the lip. At the same time you might want to ask the exact placement and amount of weight they use.

If you are talking about molding a bait you made/designed, then just wedge the lip in to test it and it will slip out when you are ready to mold it.

How to approach it depends on the type of lure. Since all are not put together identically, your approach will need to vary depending on the lure. Much depends on the thickness of the lip, lip slot or if theres a clear connecting the paint, lip and lure together. With some weak built and weak glue installed lips you can wiggle them out like a loose tooth w/ steady side to side pressure.

For a well built lure or stubborn lip, put the lure on its side in a jig (make sure the lure is flat) and use a drill press & 1/16 to 5/64 bit to tap a straight hole in the rear of the lip/lexan from each side. This will create a weakness at the rear of the lip slot and the lip should come out easily with pressure. Minimal cleanup with sanding is usually needed . If the lip has been heavily cleared to the lure, thats another ball of wax in the many levels of repairs.