maltrout

2nd Coat Powder paint ???

Last night I was putting some powder paint on some football heads and shaky heads I made and I used a little bit of a different method then I usaully use and I got very different results.

I usaully heat up the jig with a lighter and then dip it in a fluid bed and let it cool and they come out pretty good.

Last night I heated them up in the toaster over for 20 minutes or so at 350 and then dipped them in the fluid bed and then put it under a heat gun to even it out a little. I had a problem with 2 colors Watermelon Pepper and Watermelon red flake ( both pro-tec). The problem was that the coat was so thin using this method that they are almost see through with a little bit of a lime green shinny look to them. Not even close to the color I get when I use a lighter to heat them up.

I then baked them in the oven to cure them and after taking them out decided that I dont like how light the color came out. Now I am wondering if I can put a second coat on them to darken them up to the color that they should be? If so do I just heat them up again and then dip them as I did the first time?

Thanks for the help.

I then baked them in the oven to cure them and after taking them out decided that I dont like how light the color came out. Now I am wondering if I can put a second coat on them to darken them up to the color that they should be? If so do I just heat them up again and then dip them as I did the first time?

Thanks for the help.

Yes. I have done this on several occasions, with no problems at all so far.

You must heat the jigs in the oven (instead of the lighter) for the re-dip. 10 minutes or less at cure temp should do it. Then dip as before, and cure as usual.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I had some jigs that were just white, and wanted to add some life to them with extra color. They were baked already, so I put them in the toaster oven for 1/2 hour, (1/2 oz. up to 2 oz.) and went to work with 2nd colors. Maybe I should have left them in longer, but it was not as nice of a "blend" between the 2 colors compared to if I do both colors together the first time. Where the 2 colors meet, it's more "speckled" than "blended". Had a more "lumpy" look to them. That's about the best I can describe it. Prefer to do multi colors during the first heat up. Now I'm talking about looks for selling jigs also, if I was just doing it for myself, results would be good enough, but I'm going by what customer opinions and my label reputation would be.

I dip up to three colors with the same heating using an alcohol burner.....I count the heat time on each side, dip in the first color (usually black for example) then touch the bottom half in the jar of white and then tip up the jig and touch the nose in red. If the red doesn't stick, I wave the nose over the flame just a couple of times and dip in red again. I then cure.

Maltrout.

If you are not satisfied with the lure after baking the first time,

i.e (flaws- bare spots- or color not dark enough) just set your heat gun up and re-coat the problem lures.

Heat the lure (make sure you keep moving or rolling the bait over the heat) and dust it in powder quickly.Just make sure you dont over heat and dont leave the lure in the powder long.

You can actually heat the powder on the previously painted lure up enough to make it tacky without burning or bubbling the paint.It just takes a little practice.

Then bake them again and and 10 minutes to the time.

Regrads,

Blades