82 replies to this topic

#81 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

Too funny! I'm sure the dead horse appreciated the use of lacquer, instead of some kind of epoxy.

#82 hazmail

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

Dave- I have never been able to get a good 'glassy' finish dipping with prop. Do you use lacquer thinner and how thick - I have dipped them with the coating @ a thin sprayable thickness and finish up with waves all over. I would love to top coat with this stuff, it would make life a lot simpler, compared to D2T etc. Just realized I have hijacked the thread again, sorry about that. pete

#83 philB

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Sorry for jumping in here. I have experimented with prop as a finish and came to the conclusion that it aint really hard enough for the baits I make eg. jerk baits for toothy fish. However a good finish can be attained but the prop has to be really thin almost the consistency of water and the baits dipped loads of times. I have covered the baits finished with prop with epoxy so cant post an example. When done succesfully the finish can be as good as any I have seen but it is real thin but if one has the patience it could be built up. Also its worth adding that it does not 'harden' straight away it does harden over a period of time although it does dry very quickly. I have problems with prop because of the type of paints I use which cannot withstand the solvents so I only use it as a sealer.

Just as a footnote and I have pm'd you with this, you can airbrush prop but it fogs badly.