Palmetto Balsa

epoxyunderground.com

Can we go ahead and change our name?

At this point, 13 out of the most recent 29 are epoxy topics.

Does anyone feel the same way about this topic?

Now I feel better.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Many years ago, my top coat was Spar Varnish. It dried in hours and gave a great finish. If it wasn't for it's yellowish tint, I'd still use it!!

I am one of the new guys here, but im not new to tackle making. I also dont know anyone on this site well enough to point any fingers or make any accusations so this post is not dirrected at anyone in particular. But I love to flyfish and also put the fly rod away and use any and all other means of fishing. There is a flyfishing site on the internet that is in my opinion the best resourse for flyfishing/rodbuilding/flytying handsdown. But the Arrogant pompous attitude that generally goes along with a lot of flyfisherman runs rampant on that site. So much so that I wont even post on it anymore. I still use the resources and will recomend it to people but the attitude has just flat turned me away. One of the things I really like about this site is the people who want to share information and the talent of the people here. No one forces anyone to answeer the posts, yet someone usually comes along and answers. Should the new guys use the search function first and try to help themselves? Hell yeah. And I hope that they show enough respect to do it. But anyone that has ever visited any of these sites knows that the search is depedant on how things are worded and sometimes for whatever reasons just dont work. So questions just get asked over again. It happens, Oh well. If it pisses you off, Ignore it. Dont answer. Im sure either they will get the point or someone with more time or patience will come along and answer. But if I can save a new guys first paint job by telling him that epoxy is going to turn yellow on you or save the guy $10.00 and have him buy the right stuff the first time, then why not. A year from now we may be learning something from that new guy.

Awsome post!!!!!! Most people on here are great but there are more than a few #####s. If you don't like a post IGNORE it. If something I knew could save a guy some money I'm more than happy to help out. If you've got plenty of money to try everything than good for you, some of us do not. The search function should always be used first but it doesn't always get you the info you are looking for.

One of those topics was started by me. I searched "createx envirotex" and got no answers to the question I posed, try it and see if you get an answer. I agree with MTfishingrods completely, I signed up on this site to learn, not to be belittled. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes. Should I waste $20 on clear and a few hours on a lure only to find they are incompatable when if I asked a simple question about it on a website someone who has already made that mistake could have warned me in a few keystrokes? Is that what this site is for or is it just to show off your lures? If you don't like the questions all you have to do is skip over them, but don't worry, you'll never see me ask another "stupid" question. Maybe I'm beating a dead horse but some of you need knocked off your high horse.

Whoa there. No one was accusing anyone in particular. And like you said, you searched, and didn't find what you were looking for. No harm in that. Its just an internet forum, there is no need to get all worked up just because someone was venting frustration over reading about epoxy over and over. No one is upset with the people asking the questions.

This may be a bad analogy, but its kind of like a guy who works in IT who gets 20 phonecalls in the same day asking the same question. He's not ticked off at the person asking the question, he's just frustrated that he is answering the same question over and over.

We all know the search function is a bear on here, and I don't think there is anything the admins can really do about it. So, the same questions will come up, and people will answer them because this really is a great community, and occassionally one of the old guard will vent their frustration over a situation that doesn't have an easy solution (other than just answer the questions). Thats all it is, venting, and its not directed at the people asking the questions because everyone was new here once.

How about a 'sticky index' with headings like; Top Coats & problems - Screw Eyes - Properties of Paints - Lip Templates - Weighting Baits, bla bla. Inside each category could the initial Thread Title be put here, with a link to all the posts on that thread???

With 6800 members and probably 2 new members a day, there is bound to be some repetition of questions and it's only going to get worse.

I know from experience, looking after a thousand people, you can email, post on a web portal, text message them and they will still ask questions on things that, if they would only take the time to read, they would realize, it has been there all the time, staring them in the face.

Maybe it just has to be made easier, rather than looking for a word to fit a problem, we list the problem and add the solution.

As always it's easy sitting here typing, and not having to do all the categorization. pete

NOW, there is only 10 DAYS to GO ! !

Is epoxy flexible enough for use on a whipping cane? Is varnish better? Will it yellow?

Is there some humane society regulation regarding what kind of finish can be used?

So many questions, so little time! :wink:

Enough is enough. Let's get back to fun, talking lure const. in whatever form we like, and asking whatever questions we need answers for.

That's what makes this site shine. :worship:

For what it is worth, my epoxy top coats got a lot better this year as a direct result of these discussions. I learned somethign on a topic that has a lot of finesse involved. I don't mind learning and sharing.

Tutorials are great but they are directed towards a single person's technique. By readign through these threads, you can pick up little tricks and methods that can improve your work. Trial and error is fine, but the purpose of these forums is to share and learn faster is it not?

For what it is worth, my epoxy top coats got a lot better this year as a direct result of these discussions. I learned somethign on a topic that has a lot of finesse involved. I don't mind learning and sharing.

Tutorials are great but they are directed towards a single person's technique. By readign through these threads, you can pick up little tricks and methods that can improve your work. Trial and error is fine, but the purpose of these forums is to share and learn faster is it not?

That was my understanding.

Well here's my two penneth...

If needed a disclaimer could be put into the registration process which could read "if you want to ask questions about Epoxy, createx, airbrushes, sealants or finishes go elswhere we are fed up of you newbies and your boring questions :yawn:".

If that happened I would leave myself. I say this, bring on the questions and bring on the answers as well no matter how many times they have been asked, do not make people feel bad about using the board because after all it is a public forum and should not become a closed shop for the chosen few.

Whoa buddy! Hold on there, PhilB. Nobody said anything about "don't ask boring questions", or "newbies should go elsewhere". I know I sure didn't, so let's not suggest that I did.

When I can shed some light on a topic, I try to answer questions thoroughly, and conscientiously. Look through my posting history and you'll see just that. All I said was,

If you want to try something a little different, for goodness sake, try it, and let us know how it works for you. If you have a problem, let us help.

I believe in that philosophy. The new folks are going to ask questions, and I field my share of those questions-- and never consider it a waste of time, or a boring exercise.

I'd prefer we all stay friends here, and not let this discussion get too bent outta shape.

For what it is worth, my epoxy top coats got a lot better this year as a direct result of these discussions. I learned something on a topic that has a lot of finesse involved. I don't mind learning and sharing.

Tutorials are great but they are directed towards a single person's technique. By reading through these threads, you can pick up little tricks and methods that can improve your work. Trial and error is fine, but the purpose of these forums is to share and learn faster is it not?

There are as many different learning methods as there are people in the world. Is any one way better than the rest - Not really. Studies on learning show that if you can appeal to the more than one sense and make it enjoyable, it will be better retained.

When you stop and realize that the more different ways a lesson in taught, the more likely to internalize the information in your own words. The whole objective of most training is behavior modification or knowledge transfer. Task criticality is a key factor in determining the best method of training... someone on a bomb squad or preforming surgery, those tasks need to preformed 100% prefect the very first time and every time.

Isn't tackle making supposed to fun and relaxing? Most of the time it is. If your willing to work and apply yourself, you'll get a basic idea of what or how something works, but it's going to take time the acquire the touch, gain a feel, develop the eye, or just get some experience. Put it into simple terms, learning is the process of going from the known to the unknown.

We all have a common interest in tackle crafting, just different levels of abilities. If you're finding yourself getting stressed out, it may be time to check what's happening in other forums. You'd surprised how much you can learn around here that will have a positive effect on your fishing or tackle making.

Tight Lines everyone and have a nice day.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
7.3 brain fart

now this is interesting, let's get realistic, you don't use the search function...OK, but , you enter on the "hard baits" topics and you see 5-7-11-13 topics about epoxy, why bother to read them? you skip this phase, click the "new topic" button , put "Another epoxy question" or "Another Devcon2ton question" and ask a question that was posted 1 hour ago. Is this the way to learn from others? If you are in such rush , why don't you try to see what happens if you use that epoxy? I understand that some questions were never asked or they are so oldies that you can't find them, but if you see an epoxy question ( for example ) why don't you put your question there? Than if someone else comes and reads that topic , it will find answers to different problems related to that product. Oh, no!!! I forgot, that "someone else" won't read the topic , it will create "Another epoxy question" topic

Edited by pikeman

In defense of the new guys that ask the same basic questions, on epoxy and so on ,they see the amazing work that all the people do here. Its like a student asking the teacher for some help. I see nothing wrong trying to help a new guy out and save him or her a lot of time and a lot of money. Time is a valueble thing and some people just dont have any to spare. Maybe the new guy works 12 hours a day plus being a full time dad or mom and is looking for some help because they have no time for the old school of life like I went through, trial and error. You guys here are some of the best Ive seen and looking at your work for a new guy or a guy like me who has been turning baits for years makes you wonder how? Everybody will agree that lure building is theropy for all of us and lets make this group theropy.

I think the problem is that many of us believe lure making is a learned skill. It something that an individual learns by doing, bottom line. Be leary of anyone that has it figured without spending the time in the shop. Some learn quicker than others, many make cranks in no time and will even sell some but these are the same guys that 5 years from now won't be around because they never really lurned how to make a solid lure.

Many are willing to help guide someone down the right direction but usually only when someone seems to have attempted to do so first and doesn't come off as some guy wanting to make a quick buck on Ebay selling a "custom" lure. We were all newbies at some point you bet, but many of spend most of our time out in the shop making lures and testing them out to find out how bad we screwed up, a huge part of it is figuring it out on your own. If one won't spend the time in the shop at least take the time to scroll thru the posts. I can't count the hours I spent reading through posts. The I want it now concept doesn't fly with many guys. Honestly most have spilt their guts on the easy stuff devcon, poly, probinate, bills, wood, sealers, airbrush, etc.... all one has to do is read a little.

If somebody posts a repetative question or remark, and it really annoys you, just think......did anyone ask me my opinion? Maybe this person is learning how to use these boards. We don't know age, education, background. People throwing out answers, or directing them to the search function......Is a positive thing. Just saying. This place is great place to hangout. Thank-You

Amazing... 33 members have added a comment to this thread in just a little over 24 hours.

I was not trying to point fingers or stifle questions on the site and I hope the new members will keep asking questions. I do hope at some point the ones that want to get to the finish line so fast will take a little time to relax and enjoy the hobby.

I might be the only one that views our obsession this way but here is a few reasons I do what I do.

I have loved fishing and tackle since I was little, 3, 4, 5 years old, I don't remember when it started. I used to sit in my Granddads basement and look in his 2 tackle boxes for hours on end. Looking back, his lures were not that amazing, but something about it drew me in. I think the looking and playing with tackle was a way to pass the time till we could go fishing again. Putting these simple thoughts down has brought back so many memories. I now have all the tackle I could ever use and I want more (not more tackle). This hobby has given me that. Lure building has given me a new outlet to dream about fishing. I can carry it with me any where I go. With a wife and children, I need something to pass the time till I can go fishing again. I have found it, making baits. I like ever part of lure building. The relaxation, learning, testing, experimenting, tinkering, destroying, shaping, exploring, and sharing thoughts with others that have similar interest. Tackleunderground has given me that outlet. I spend about 12 hours out of every day thinking about fishing related things. I only have one friend that has admitted that he feels the same but it is good to know I am not alone.

BTW, the dead horse image was an afterthought.

How about if we turn this thread into a why we do what we do, and what we get out of it (or what we hope to get out of it).

Behind every great lure maker is a box full of toxic firewood. Mine is not full yet.

Well said, however, I dont see a need to change the course of discussion.

Threads like these are helpful to me to help understand & better suit TU to be functional for everyone.

We will soon have more search options & with Bruce's help, the Tutorial section is growing tremendously.

If anyone has suggestions, lay it on me.

This thread made me think of when I first came to this site(03) and the questions I asked...repetitive i'm sure but there were alot of guy's who still answered my questions Lincoya,Coley,Skeeter,Dtrs5Kprs,Blackjack,Hughsey,Dean Mclain and Riverman to name a few(thank all of you) While it does seem the same post pop up in cycles I still read everyone of them, reason being it seems that everybody who tinkers in this craft are continually evolving and you always seem to pick something new up or maybe give you a different perspective or idea(1,000 ways to skin a cat). At times I've left this site for various reasons but have always returned to read some of the same type post but with newer and well thought out answers fom someone elses perspective that has helped me also:)

I'm right there with you Palmetto from pouring blade baits,jigs,cranks or whatever if I cant be on the water this is my 2nd choice:teef:

Quote:

"I spend about 12 hours out of every day thinking about fishing related things."

I envy you for that, Palmetto. I can spend only about 10 hours a day to this end :)

Speaking about epoxy, I remember having answered a question about Devcon epoxy, on the time when I did not even once used it, based on the repetitive answers about Devcon, from those who have experience with it.

There are cycles to lure building. All of us are in one or another. If you are reading this thread, you were once a beginner and asked one of those many questions...questions you now consider elementary.

I often send emails and pms answering some of the questions, which receive the classic impatient retort, "Do a search!" In the process, I've learned a lot...yes, learned a lot, by answering the questions. Most importantly, I've made a lot of great friends along the way.

If you don't have the patience or the time, you do no harm by simply allowing the elementary questions to slide right past you in the course of a day.

And think about this...the repetitive questions usually concerns the critical aspects of this hobby such as which airbrush to purchase or the application of that sticky, nasty, temperamental stuff called epoxy.

Once there was a time, when you knew nothing about an airbrush. They are not cheap, are they? Who wants to buy the wrong one for this hobby? Who wouldn't want to rely on the experience of those currently posting beautiful baits?

Epoxy is something that few of us use with regularity in our normal daily lives and the newbie is faced with the daunting task of spreading this goo over his pride and joy in the form of a bait. Is it any wonder the questions pop up almost daily?

Yea, the search can do great things, but even the use of a search function requires something of a learning curve and there are degrees of computer familiarity and sophistication along with the fact that this is an international forum with English being the second language for some of our members.

Somebody, somewhere along the way, helped you once. They were patient with your elementary questions. If each of us helps a few new guys with those common basic questions, we all win.

While we're on the subject...which is better...Devcon or Envirotec Lite?:teef: