Palmetto Balsa

epoxyunderground.com

Whoa buddy! Hold on there, PhilB. Nobody said anything about "don't ask boring questions", or "newbies should go elsewhere". I know I sure didn't, so let's not suggest that I did.

When I can shed some light on a topic, I try to answer questions thoroughly, and conscientiously. Look through my posting history and you'll see just that. All I said was,

I believe in that philosophy. The new folks are going to ask questions, and I field my share of those questions-- and never consider it a waste of time, or a boring exercise.

I'd prefer we all stay friends here, and not let this discussion get too bent outta shape.

sagacious

My comments were not a pop at you it's just that your quote got caught up in a general reply to the underlying sentiment of the thread. My apologies to you and I'll be more carefull when quoting in future. I think I maybe went off on a tangent whilst typing my reply :o, what I meant to say was if someone want's to seek advice before they try they should be able to ask and everyone should be prepared to answer without prejudice. As it happens I myself do exactly as you suggested and try before asking.

PhilB, no worries-- I know that sometimes it's just a reaction to type out what one's thinking and hit: submit. No offense taken. :yay:

For the record, and for anyone new to tacklemaking: I encourage questions. I often ask questions, even about topics I'm well-versed in, so I can learn the latest trends...... and maybe even pick up some new info. This is just one of the ways people learn.

But people also learn by doing. I'm not saying not to ask a question before trying something, I'm just saying don't be afraid to try something new. To me at least, there's a huge gulf of difference between those two concepts.

Asking questions is good.

Trying new things is also good.

I don't see the conflict-- as in my world, both things work together to further my abilities and enjoyment as a luremaker and as a fisherman.

Cheers, and good fishing!

I use the search once in a while but who has hours of time looking for that one key thing your looking for ?

The search function is hard to use because of this.

I hate posting my question in someone Else's post because like me if I am not interested in what is being discussed and I do not read anymore of it or never open that thread again and then someone comes and steals on the post I will never read it and the person with the answer will never see it.

Usually their is only a few that will answer questions on a certain thing,

Look here at this thread, WOW 6 pgs and it is all drama stuff, a place for some to complain.

One of the 13 posts was mine, and it never got a answer, you cannot tell me no one has tried the 2 top coats together.

Look at the band saw/ scroll saw question in here, when the next guy looking for that info do you think by using the search function he is going to find the answers that were given ?

I do not know if key items were categorized would help but it might be a start.

We all want to make the best and trial and error sucks.

This post will make some not want to ask questions and that is not right.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone here so please do not take it that way.

But for those that put up with the questions being asked all the time and answer them time and time again you guy's rock and people will look up to you.

Tons of guy's here that have the answers here but do not want to give them up because they may think that there stuff is the shizzle, or it is my little secret ?

I hate posting and answering because I am not good at putting words correctly, I failed English.

Predator, thinking about your epoxy + DN question, I think the logical thing would be to use a coat of epoxy, lightly sand it to remove gloss, then apply the DN. DN is very tough, slick and glossy. It's what I'd want on the outside of the bait for appearance and to ward off hook rash. I see zero advantage in using DN first and there could be be possible adhesion problems with the DN solvents. The epoxy levels nicely, covers any boo-boos, gives visual depth to the finish and is mostly chemically inert when cured. It should be a good base for the DN. I haven't tried it myself though.

Wow, what a can of worms. As a relatively new guy, I would like to take this time to add my .02. "Do a search" is used on almost all sites I have visited. I guess there is a time and place for such a response, but this type answer really puts me off. On one such forum, which shall remain anon. , I asked about rigging a specific bait. ( one I had just heard of and was not at all familiar with ) I got several responses to my post. All of them were in essense, " this had been answered so many times, you need to use the search option to find it" . Well, this embarrsed me and I went to the search, nothing showed up. Read ALL 157 pages of site, still did not find one single item that even came close to an answer.

My point is that that site is filled with arrogant butts. That is why I visit this site exclusively. I can always find answers to my problems here from some one of the fine folks here. People on this site will and do go to extremes to help guys like me who don't know a lot. I have learned TONS of stuff here and know I will continue to learn. My phylosophy is that when I log on and see a question that has been asked, and asked, and asked some more that I may skip that post. However, sometimes in reading a new post about an old question, VOILA, I find something new. OK, not always, but sometimes. If I had been met with "do a search" as the only answer to one of my first questions, I may have left and not come back. But thanks to those who have answered my questions and kept me hanging around. There is no limit to what can be learned here and I hope there never is.

I would also like to add, remember, no matter how old, experienced you are you will never know all there is to know about this hobby/profession. And for some of us it is only a hobby.

This post puts me in mind of the one not long ago about "takers" vs. "givers". Didn't much care for it. Gives people new to this site a bad taste.

Enough rambling

David

Here is something to think about.. what if someone wanted an answer to an epoxy question and he did his search and did not find out the specifics he was looking for? Now, lets just say that one of the members had his answer but was a newer member and had not participated in those posts he had searched.

Now he decides to ask the epoxy question in a new post knowing there had been a lot of posts on epoxy before. Suddenly the new member that had the answer reads the post and gives him the information he has been hunting for but has failed to find in the old ones.

Now he has his answer, but he had to make a new epoxy post to get it.

What is wrong with that? Just goes to show all the answers have not already been posted.

Predator Bass Baits!!

Hey Jim, I did answer your question in a post I made in another thread, when you were asking about topcoats, and I was responding directly to you; I just didn't answer it in the thread where you posted the question. I believe my answer was something to the effect of, "And yes, Dicknite's topcat is compatible with epoxies."

I know it was mentioned more than once in the previous pages that some people don't have much time to search for the answers they're seeking. But I suppose it is okay for someone whose time is less important, to answer a question requiring a 250 word answer. I'm merely saying that it is fairly presumptuous to ask someone else to spend time answering them, because they don't have the time to see if there is already an easily found answer to their question. And most assuredly, the answers are always a lot longer than the questions. Many lure builders from all over the world have contributed to a remarkable knowledge base here at TU, and spent a lot of expertise, thought, and many hours in doing so . It is discourteous to come here and blatantly refuse to research it, while demanding answers to questions easily answered by it. I'm only saying that courtesy is a two way street.

Dean

Predator, thinking about your epoxy + DN question, I think the logical thing would be to use a coat of epoxy, lightly sand it to remove gloss, then apply the DN. DN is very tough, slick and glossy. It's what I'd want on the outside of the bait for appearance and to ward off hook rash. I see zero advantage in using DN first and there could be be possible adhesion problems with the DN solvents. The epoxy levels nicely, covers any boo-boos, gives visual depth to the finish and is mostly chemically inert when cured. It should be a good base for the DN. I haven't tried it myself though.

Thanks Bob, I am coating with epoxy first then second coat of DN now, I really like the way the gloss looks rather then just doing DN.

What is the reason for sanding epoxy ?

This post should be on the subject itself so others may see it but then again not many use the search correctly including myself. LOL

Edited by Predator Bass Baits

Predator Bass Baits!!

Hey Jim, I did answer your question in a post I made in another thread, when you were asking about topcoats, and I was responding directly to you; I just didn't answer it in the thread where you posted the question. I believe my answer was something to the effect of, "And yes, Dicknite's topcat is compatible with epoxies."

I know it was mentioned more than once in the previous pages that some people don't have much time to search for the answers they're seeking. But I suppose it is okay for someone whose time is less important, to answer a question requiring a 250 word answer. I'm merely saying that it is fairly presumptuous to ask someone else to spend time answering them, because they don't have the time to see if there is already an easily found answer to their question. And most assuredly, the answers are always a lot longer than the questions. Many lure builders from all over the world have contributed to a remarkable knowledge base here at TU, and spent a lot of expertise, thought, and many hours in doing so . It is discourteous to come here and blatantly refuse to research it, while demanding answers to questions easily answered by it. I'm only saying that courtesy is a two way street.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Well I do usually try and search first, hate to look like a dummy but like stated unless you hit the correct KEY words you could be reading allot and still not get the answers.

You have always seemed to add your thoughts and I appreciate that so I hope you did not mean I was discourteous. :)

Jim,

No I was not referring to you, but to those who start popping questions 2 minutes after they find the site, without taking any time to check the place out. I don't expect eveyone who comes here for lurebuilding help to dedicate a certain amount of time each week to TU, but we all like to see some enthusiasm for the lure building craft in the people we help, as opposed to those whose sole purpose in coming here is to find someone who will solve their lure building problem for them, so that they can get on with their tackle business on ebay, etc, in their quest to make a quick buck in the custom lure business. I think most of us here who are giving advice find it very rewarding to help those with a genuine interest in this craft, which is everything that makes TU a really great site.

Dean

ROFLMAO!! this is probably the most exciting thing that's happened to TU since the Epoxy discussions!!

really, I believe that most people who visit this site and become members and ask the "already" asked questions are trying to communicate with the TU community rather than being lazy! "Finding a common ground". New members want the community to know that they are interested and would like some guidance and in the meantime make a friend or two.

This has been a very useful thread and it too raises its head as a frequent visitor. Useful because is brings us all up to date with various points of view and teaches us all, new and old, how we should be operating on TU and basically what it is all about, learning and hopefully, a little teaching.

Ihave an epoxy question,can u put it on the head of tubes?I'm tired of 1 fish and their gone!!!!:teef:Really i couldn't resist.The problem is that alot of people take this from hobby mode to perfection mode.Iknow alot of info was lost during the crash so expect alot of people to ask these questions that anoy.lets remember that before 1970's that it was just fishing and not arrogance during tournements.The questions will continue and answers also.I read alot threads on this site for info and laughter and enjoy evryones point of veiw.Now if anyone could invent quick set epoxy in lipstick colors,please give a tube to hillary:yeah:

Hey..........the poloticians always try to win over us sportsmen right before the election. You will see........a week before the presidential election you will see Hillary hunting bear with a shotgun or bass fishing on a Sunday morning tv show.

I have a joke..............

Why does Bill Clinton hang out with George Bush Sr. so much?

He doesnt like Hillary either.....................

Predator, I sand epoxy just enough to remove its gloss whenever I'm covering it with a different coating to give the surface extra adhesion. For me, that's usually just covering an epoxy undercoating with acrylic paint. I haven't had problems NOT sanding but I guess it's just making double sure.

Thanks BobP.

You know up till yesterday I thought dentatured alchol was from my dentist ( dentured alchol )

I asked my dentist for some, he was a bit confused, then I asked again and he said are you sure it is not denatured,

Spelt with a A, well I did a google search and DUH,

Just goes to show that not all posts are spelled out right for some of us dummies..

I am not into the Epoxy thing but I love to read and post on this site. I make soft baits and molds and learning other trades of the tackle making by reading, searching and posting. We at TU like this web site so much because were getting better at we do, flip crap to each other, compalment each other on our works of art that we hand make, but the main reason most of us are here because we don't have anybody to talk to in are areas. I am maybe one of five plastic makers in a hundred miles of Lincoln, Nebraska. None of my fishing buddy's give a crap what colors to mix what flakes to add to get that color or how to paint crankbaits, make skirts for spinnerbaits and on and on. We can do all of that here with threads or post. Some sound nasty their most likely not. Were are reading black and white with no tone of a voice to hear or facial expresson to look at except the yellow one's :nuhuh: like that. I have learned so much here its unreal I am probaly years ahead now from this site. If I can save you on a timely or costly mistake I will. I hope someone would do the same for me. Which has happend sevral times. If no one ask stupid questions or whants to post something a hundered diffrent ways and you don't like it turn your computer on and then you won't have to look at it. I am asuming this site was made to have fun sharing, meet others you have the same passion for what we do, learning and are STUPID QUESTIONS. Oh ya I forgot are great speling and typing$. Live a little!!!!!!!!!!!!!