LURE JUNKIE

Another newbie

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys-

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help getting started making hard baits. My wife and I just started last week after looking through the TU web site. You guys have taken alot of the trial and error out of it for us. This webs site is great, so much incredible talent here.:worship:

We made about a dozen baits already. We used solo cups melted in laquer thinner for a sealer (5 coats). Thanks Tally! your Tutorial is great.

Then we airbrushed them with createx. And for a top coat we used one coat of T2 epoxy. Looked very good for our first time. (I think)

Here's the problem. I waited one week to test them out, and when I did the bait hit a rock as I was bringing it in and took a big chip out of the nose right down to the sealer. Is this normal? T2 seams very brittle. Or did we do something wrong?:(:(:(

If this worked, here's some pics of our first batch of cranks. The pic with the 3 baits are my wifes, and the one with 4 are mine. Still waiting for the lips and screw eyes to come yet.:whistle:

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

stacey.jpg

bill.jpg

2922_thumb.attach

2923_thumb.attach

Hers are better than yours :wink: JK Great looking baits by both of you.

Not an expert but if you are using those baits for musky or northerns you will prob want more than 1 coat of 2ton on them. Not sure about the brittle experiance

Very nice, it's nice to be able to share your hobby with your wife instead of spending to much tim on it.

The devcon question I'm not to sure, but mabey to sharp of corners.

Or mabey water getting into the wood and popping finish off with help from rocks. All screw holes must be epoxied well.

Just my ideas, hope this helps.

Tim

Hey Junkie, your baits look great.:worship: Welcome to the sickness:teef: At least it has affected you and your wife. As for the devcon I would try putting more coats. I myself think etex is a better coating its not as brittle and seems to bend but not break. Plus if you do alot of baits its cheaper. Thats my opinion hope It helped you........Oscar