haulinbass227

possible new record large mouth

"When it comes to identification the the New York regulations seem to read for a State Record Catagory Fish (not catch and release record) "Make sure the fish is identified and examined by a DEC fisheries biologist or his designee prior to any cutting of the fish or removal of entrails. Section F will be completed by the person verifying the fish". This always seems couter productive to me."

It can be examined. The entrals have not been removed yet. As I said before it can be Identified by the photo. LoL. I do know what your saying though. Interpretation is everything. I think your right on the scale issue also. After the fact probably is not good enough.

As far as Perry having a liscense? Do you think Georgia was issuing state fishing liscenses then? I dont know but I would guess maybe not? I tried to find an answer, but it wasnt on the first 3 google searches I tried when it dawned on me that really does not matter to me whether he had one or not. Different times different rules. I guess if we can allow fishing without a liscense, then netting, poisoning, dynomite, draining a lake or pond is all ok right. In fact I think I will cram a few lead bars down the throat of my next Pike and submit that. It will be a monster!

Let me start by saying that I really do hope the pictures back up the story and prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. I've seen too many stories like this one posted on other fishing forums, only to disappoint, either with pictures that show a much smaller fish than claimed or no pictures at all.

Breaking down the details of this story...

"his Johnny Morris pole with spider braid line snapped in half but he kept on fighting the fish."

So his $170 rod snapped in half? Must have been when he was trying to swing the beast out of the water and onto shore instead of lipping it.

"When he got it in he couldn't beleive the size of it. Keep in mind the record large mouth in NY is 11lbs 4oz. He weighed it with a digital fish scale and to there amazement.

12lbs. 15ozs."

Not only is this bass big enough to break the NYS record, but it's more than a pound and a half bigger!?!

"SON let me see your license. Second time in the last few years my son couldn't wait to fish so i guess he was in to much of a hurry to buy one."

In New York State, the license term for fishing runs from October 1st through September 30th. That means he's had 6 months to buy a new license. That's not exuberance due to the opening of a new fishing season. It's either laziness or blatant disregard for the law.

"Anyhow at least he has documented proof he was there that day and caught what may end up being termed as the new state record. The warden says he will back up his statement and help him try to get it certified."

So your son broke the law, a game warden was there to witness his violation first-hand, and not only did he not issue him a ticket but he's going to back up his statement so that he can try to get the record certified?

"If not he will wait until he can keep the fish and catch it again as he is the only person that fishes this small remote pond. Sorry i dont have the pictures yet of the fish but i will try to post them on this thread when i receive them. Good luck son."

Of all the bodies of water in New York State, the game warden decided to patrol this small remote pond that only ONE person fishes?

Again, if the pictures clearly show a 12 lb. 15 oz. largemouth caught in NY, I'll gladly apologize. But right now the only thing that surprises me about this story is that it wasn't posted on April 1st, because I think we're all being played for fools.

Edited by fishstory

Men and their fish storys....You can't even believe pictures these days.

This is my father-in-law when he went fishing with us a few years back. it was his christmas card picture.

I Googled the story on the pike and that picture has been on every fishing forum with results that look like this thread. It wasn't totally wasted time... I found a great site of Reptile oddities: Welcome to Texas Reptiles.com :: The Greatest Reptile Shows and Expos!

Pretty Cool

120852680009924287(1).jpg

Reality Czechoslovakia! :D

Ha. That's good. Sorry for the lack of an intro, but stories like these tend to pop up every few months or so. Maybe I'm too cynical.

I'm from Orange County, NY near Newburgh. I fish for both largemouth and smallmouth (where I can find them) but unfortunately I only get out once every few weeks. Even so - I will always renew my license in September because October and November can be great times for catching bass as long as the weather cooperates (and yes, I know that year-round catch-and-release for bass is a very recent regulation change in New York).

braveviper, in an earlier post you mentioned that if you caught a possible NYS record bass, you would have the pics up within minutes. So would I, because I wouldn't post the story until I had the pictures in hand. Any time you're talking about a potential record-sized bass, people are going to want to see the proof. If someone says they caught a 6 lb. largemouth that they weighed on a digital scale, I'll tend to believe them even if they didn't take a picture. BUT, if someone says they caught a 13 lb. largemouth (in New York State), you bet I want to see the pics before I believe the story!

mrs.redg8r, that' a funny photo of your father-in-law, and I love the fact that he used it as his Christmas card picture. You're right, you can't even believe pictures these days, but unless someone is REALLY talented with Photoshop, it's pretty easy to spot a fake. There will always be out-of-place pixels/fragments around the areas that were edited. All you have to do to spot them is magnify the photo 2x - 5x to find them. In the case of your photo below, the fact that the bass are a) identical, B) blurry, and c) levitating is enough. Still a funny pic though.

One more thing, when a story has one detail that's amazing/crazy/unbelievable (a largemouth caught in NYS that is over a pound a a half larger than the current state record), it causes you to raise an eyebrow. When it has two details that are amazing/crazy/unbelievable (a largemouth caught in NYS that is over a pound a a half larger than the current state record after the person's rod snapped in half), you definitely want to see proof. When it has three or more details that are amazing/crazy/unbelievable (a largemouth caught in NYS that is over a pound a a half larger than the current state record after the person's rod snapped in half by someone fishing without a license at a pond that no one else fishes that was witnessed by a game warden who decided to turn a blind eye to the fact that the fisherman was breaking the law), well...

Edited by fishstory

Breaking down the details of this story...

Bravo...

But right now the only thing that surprises me about this story is that it wasn't posted on April 1st, because I think we're all being played for fools.

:D...good one

I wonder who you really are though...tag name "fish story", first post is a riot, about a fish story. :nuhuh: Are you....Batman? :huh:

:popcorn:

His best bet is to go get a card reader from an electronics stare as oposed to finding a cord for the camera. They are less than 20.00 and are universal for any of the types of cards for digital cameras. Some of the cords for them older digital cameras can be spendy. Ask me how I know that.:lol: Went to order a cord for mine, 90.00 bought the card reader at best buy, 14.99. Hmm easy descision for me.