haulinbass227

possible new record large mouth

Got a phone call from my 37 yr old son 4/13/08 9:30 am. Said he was fishing a small pond in upstate NY where he lives when he heard someone behind him. Just as he looked up and saw the game warden he got a huge hit. The game warden stood and watched as he started fighting the fish. As he played this monster he heard him shouting words of encouragement. Then his Johnny Morris pole with spider braid line snapped in half but he kept on fighting the fish.When he got it in he couldn't beleive the size of it. Keep in mind the record large mouth in NY is 11lbs 4oz. He weighed it with a digital fish scale and to there amazement.

12lbs. 15ozs.

He took several pictures of the fish with him and the game warden then released it back in the pond as it is catch and release only in NY at this time of season. Then came the inevitable question from the game warden.

SON let me see your license. Second time in the last few years my son couldn't wait to fish so i guess he was in to much of a hurry to buy one.

Anyhow at least he has documented proof he was there that day and caught what may end up being termed as the new state record. The warden says he will back up his statement and help him try to get it certified. If not he will wait until he can keep the fish and catch it again as he is the only person that fishes this small remote pond. Sorry i dont have the pictures yet of the fish but i will try to post them on this thread when i receive them. Good luck son.

Relax a little viper; he didn't take the pictures and I know how kids don't move as fast as parents would like them to. If you don't have kids; try to remember how you where when you were but a lad.

The pictures are coming, so is the TU meet in Clinton, as is Christmas... Just figure the correct finishing order.

Ok my turn to open up another can of worms here. I was waiting for someone else to do it but since it hasnt been yet. I hope that the fact its catch and release is not the reason to keep it from being a state record. If it can be proven and verified. Then I see no reason the fish has to die. But... and heres the big but, if he was fishing with no liscense, then would that or should that not keep it out for that reason?

thank you for the info 6 feet deep. i just went on the site you posted and don't see anything saying no license no record. As far as the other requirements he meets them as he has pictures of him, the game warden, and the bass from several angles. Can't wait to see the pics. myself.

hopefully i will receive them today and post them on here if i can figure out how to do it.

...don't see anything saying no license no record.

I'm in NC, but everyone I talk too says that license doesn't matter for a record. The record is for the weight of the fish caught, not the weight of a fish caught by a licensed angler. Who know's...I guess we'll find out won't we. ;)

Glad I could be of some help. I can't wait to see the pics...13lb largemouth is huge no matter what state you're in!

Nice fish and truely a fish of a lifetime. Something we all hope to do but most never get a chance. WHY did he not have his license!!! States have made it so easy and many states have some harsh penalties for repeat offenders (jail, loss of fishing and hunting license, potential loss of vehicles, boats, rods, etc.). I seriously doubt the fish will count based on two if not three of these reasons:

1. Fish must be taken by angling in New York State waters in accordance with New York State fishing regulations.

2. Fish entered in the Annual Award and State Record categories must be weighed on a certified scale by the owner of the scale or an employee, and must be witnessed by at least one other person.

3. Fish submitted as a potential State Record entry must be identified by a DEC biologist or a designee.

Fishing without a license would disqualify the record because he was not fishing in accordance with New York State regulations. The digital scales and not being certified would be the second strike. And the game warden might not be a DEC biologist and designee.

I would think #2 could be handled simply by getting your scales certified.

#3 can be identified through photos. So in my mind that just leaves #1. What a bummer if that is the way it turns out, but unfortunately I agree. We all pay our dues to fish. I know simply because of me manufacturing and selling tackle locally I make a greater effort to not break any fish and game rules. But it is really simple. You have to have a liscenes to fish. It wasnt his first time getting caught either. Anyone want to bet its the last time he ever fishes with no liscenes if that keeps it out of the record books.:( Still like I said before. No need to be discouraged. Pay the fine. Buy the license and get his but back out to that pond and get that monster again. He did it once, he can do it again.

From my understanding the scales must be certified prior to use, not after the fact. This is typically done for accuracy and bracketing by calibrated standards. Also they say it needs to be weighed on a certified scale and typically don't waiver too much.

When it comes to identification the the New York regulations seem to read for a State Record Catagory Fish (not catch and release record) "Make sure the fish is identified and examined by a DEC fisheries biologist or his designee prior to any cutting of the fish or removal of entrails. Section F will be completed by the person verifying the fish". This always seems couter productive to me.

Both these issues held true for the possible world record bass from few years ago (Paul Duclos). He released the fish instead of likely killing the fish to get it to a biologist and they used a bathroom scale that was non certified . Supposedly the scale was certified after the fact. But needless to say we still have the Perry's "World Record Bass".