KelpKritter

Newbie ????

After doing a few searches I have found some of what I am looking for but could use some more specific advice.

I have shaped some 4" taildancer style baits and some 3" flatsided cranks. I want to get as much depth as possible on the dive, 15' if possible. I believe a longer lip is needed but have used production baits that dive this deep with different lip angles, what is best? Also, with lips how what is screw eye and how do you attach it to the lexan lip. Finally, a post I found stated .032-.040 wire for thru bait wiring, is this good for these size baits.

Looking forward to finishing off some new baits.

Thanks for the help,

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Hi Dave,

I'm not a real expert at building plugs but if I had to make one I would refer to production baits concerning lipsize and angle. Just pick a production bait you like the action of and copy lipsize and angle. Most deepdiving cranks I have, carry long lips with a small angle. E.g. Deepdiving Bombers and Deepdiving Fatraps. As goes for the screw eyes, you don't have to particulary mount that through the lip. You also might consider to fix it to the bait itself just above the lip. That's how lots of plugbuilders do it to avoid the hazzle of needing to go through the lip.

Good luck!

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for the response. I have been thinking of some ways to attach line ties, but thought the placement had a lot to do with how deep the lure would run also.

I see you are in Fryslan. My father-in-law grew up in Fryslan and has been in America now for a little over 40 years. Small world!

Thanks again,

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Paul,

Thank you for the response. I have been thinking of some ways to attach line ties, but thought the placement had a lot to do with how deep the lure would run also.

I see you are in Fryslan. My father-in-law grew up in Fryslan and has been in America now for a little over 40 years. Small world!

Thanks again,

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Placement of the line ties do matter. But if

Paul,

My in-laws are in Southern California, along with myself. My father-in-law has a sister in Grand Rapids. My father-in-laws parents grew up in Birdaard and moved to Zeist when their children were young.

I know pike fishing is big in the Netherlands and my father-in-laws cousin is still in Holland and is a pretty serious angler. I would like to make some baits for him. Any suggestions on style, size, and colors that he might find success with?

DaveB.

KelpKritter

ernel,

I pulled up that thread, and started reading, but I had to stop before my kid grew up and left home and I missed it.

How does the story end? :lol:

If I were making a lipped crank, I'd find one that was similar to what I wanted, copy it, but with my own design, and test it. On the prototype, I'd probably put a line of holes in the bill, so I could use a removable line tie to test the action with each position.

Paul,

My in-laws are in Southern California, along with myself. My father-in-law has a sister in Grand Rapids. My father-in-laws parents grew up in Birdaard and moved to Zeist when their children were young.

I know pike fishing is big in the Netherlands and my father-in-laws cousin is still in Holland and is a pretty serious angler. I would like to make some baits for him. Any suggestions on style, size, and colors that he might find success with?

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Dave, I live next to Birdaard!!

You have a personal message.

Grtz Paul