Rick S

I need alot of help

Hi,thank you taking the time and reading my post.I'm trying to learn how to make a hard plastic trout lure that has three joints to allow it to swim more natural from begining to end. I was wodering if there are any books DVD's or any other kind of information that may be found. I'm a concrete conctrator and I have no interest in owning or running a tackle co. I'm totally addicted to perfecting my bass fishing hobby. Again thank you to everyone out there and all your help,

Rick

Rick,

I am also working on a hinged swimbait, but it is far from finished as I continue to work on joint spacing and bait profile so I cannot be of much help, but do a search and you will find a great number of ideas on this site.

BTW are those spiny lobster in your avatar? If so, are you a So Cal resident? I fish San Diego to Marina del Rey and plan on using the baits I am making for the calicos I hunt on a regular basis.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Hi Rick, welcome to the maddness. Hope you are ready for the late night/early morning hours. Not kidding either. I am working on three section baits that are knockoffs of the triple trout. After several months of working on them and re-designing as I go, the resemblence is only coincidence. The name's been changed to protect the innocent, and all that crap. :lol: I did start with a triple trout that I was lucky enough to pick up on e-bay, as they are HARD to come buy. After examining it for some time, without digging into it and destroying it, I started in with some poplar, Dremel tool, belt sander, band saw. After destroying the first 4-5 blocks of wood, I came out with what at that time was acceptable to me. I managed to get some joints in it, get it weighted, and amazingly enough it swam well. I was excited. Since then I have changed the shape of the original a couple of times, changed the hinge method more that a couple of times, even made a mold to pour it in plastic. I'm no expert by any means so I have done a LOT of trial/error. Mostly error. LOL

Sorry this so lengthy, but guess what I'm trying to say is there is no simple piece of advice to help you out. It is a lot of work and there have been many posts in last couple of months about various areas of building these baits. I would suggest that you research the pages here for that info, and I will be glad to answer any specific questions that I can. If I can't, I think I can point you in the right direction to find answers.

As far as "need a lot of help", all of us here at TU need that. We all suffer from the same addictionaddictionaddiction ( oops, sorry ) but we all refuse to look for any cure.

Don't be discouraged, you will have to go through trial/error regardless of what advice anyone here gives you. That is just part of this wonderful world of bait making. Waking up at 2:00 'cause a dream has given you an idea and heading for workshop to work it out. Really! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hope this has helped, not hindered. Pm me or e-mail captsully@aol.com if you have any questions you think I can answer. Can't promise, but will try to keep answers shorter than this post. :nuhuh:

Good Luck

David

Rick,

I don't know anything about making plastic baits, but, if I were going to, I'd find the type of plastic I wanted to use, then find a type of wood the was the same specific gravity....one cubic inch of plastic weighs the same as one cubic inch of wood.

Bear in mind that you'll be adding a little weight to the wood with a couple of coats of sealer that the plastic probably won't need.

And the paint you use for the plastic may be different, and heavier or lighter, than for the wood prototype.

That way I could carve my prototypes out of wood, and weight, seal, and hinge them, and

then test their action and buoyancy.

I find wood much easier to work with, so that would be my choice.

Once I'd figured out the shape, hinging, and weighting, I'd look into making whatever mold I needed to make plastic copies of my prototype.

I'd keep the prototype safe for future mold making.

Edited by mark poulson

Hi again,

I can't thank you guys enough for your responds to my adiction. David I'm trying to make(improve if possiable) the triple trout. I think the problems I need to address is how to make simlier joints and what finish is favorable to alumite plastic. I"ve done high end commerial staining project as well as high tech molds for universal studio's in ca. please check it out on my web site at richardsmithconcrete.com In all we do I share all secrets only to make a better trade, so I really apprecate all help I can get.