.dsaavedra.

5-min epoxy

hiya

anybody ever use devcon 5-min epoxy to do lures?

i only do one lure at a time, and they are just normal sized bass baits.

i havent used 5min much at all (only for repairs, never on lures) but i was thinkin it would be easier to apply that to a lure because it will cure faster and since i dont have a lure turner, it would save me the pain of sitting and turning it by hand for 30 minutes.

is 5-min suitable for clearcoating a crankbait?

It is OK for lips, hangers and body halves etc. As a top coat, it will yellow and would still require 24hrs to harden properly.

For one off turning, I use my regular drill. I can set it to run at between 60 and 100 turns per minute. It sounds too fast, but it does work. It might not do the drill much good, it gets quite hot, so I don't turn for much more than 30mins, this seems enough to prevent sagging.

Dont use epoxy.. Dont use Dick Nites.. Dont use Auto Clear.. Dont use clear at all... Be a freaking man and paint the sucker without a clear coat!!! WE DONT CARE ABOUT QUALITY were MEN!!!!! The only quality we want is a eye candy wife... Great food on the table and control of the remote to HDTV!!!.....And to fish whenever we want!!! SO JUST GO TO DAM LAKE AND FISH YOUR LURE PATTERN!! IF you have a good day on one.. Paint it again and go fishing tommorrow!!! then you will never have to worry about CLEAR COATS EVER AGAIN!!! All you have to do is repaint your bait every day and paintin it is the only fun part of the whole dam job!!!! But think about the money you just saved!!! ON CLEAR AND LURE BODIES!!! 1 lure... 1 million pattern possiblities!!!

See their is always a way around any problem... THE MAN RULE!!!! "JUST DUCK TAPE IT AND GO!!!"

p.s.. Im never serious on any subject!!! Welcome to TU!!!

THE ROOKIE

The Rookie

Edited by The_Rookie

Rookie, you have turned the light on here - we could clear coat underneath and 'practice' paint on top, the ultimate lure- going cod fishin , paint a cod pattern, goin Barra fishin, paint barra colors, how versatile would that be- we could call it 'The Transformer'- I'm still working on that 'shrimp' too. pete

thanks for the responses guys. i figured 5-min wasnt gonna work, but i thought i'd ask.

as for using a drill to turn it...the only drill we have is an ancient drill that you have to plug in the wall and it only has one speed...fast.

my dremel doesnt do anything lower than like 8000 rpm's i think?

i have heard of people buying rotissarie motors and fashioning a lure turner that way, but i really dont wanna go out and pay 20 bucks for a motor and then some more money for the random supplies i will need to complete the turner.

any suggestions of pretty common household stuff i could use?

ps. im not new here, i just dont post much....i have been on here for about 2 years. my profile doesnt say 2 years, thats because i had to get a new accound because i forgot my old one.

Here's what I used to do and it turned out just fine - make up a couple of small "C" hooks and put one on the tail and line tie after you put on the clearcoat. Hang it up on a nail, flip the lure from one hook to the other every 3-4 mins for the first 15 mins, then every 7-8 mins for the next 15 mins. Voila

Any drying wheel is going to involve some money and time. No way around it, unless you can get the kids at the park to spin your lures on the carousel for you. :lol:

Rookie,

I tried your transformer method, but the paint keeps coming off on the first cast. I don't think water based paint is up to the task. :oooh:

My drying wheel cost about 3 bucks in scrap wood and dowel. Found an old microwave sitting at my neighbors garbage can and decided to be a garbage picker that day. I took out the carosel motor(2.5rpm) and put it on a dowel with clamps placed about ever 8in. cut a couple pieces of plywood to mount the motor too and to run the other end of the dowel through and wa'la......turning wheel. I'll send you a pick if you need one. posted one here a while back but cant find it right now.

Rookie,

I tried your transformer method, but the paint keeps coming off on the first cast. I don't think water based paint is up to the task. :oooh:

Rookie, it seems to me that your idea is not going to work. I have a solution to the problem above, in case you promise we share the winings ... Done? OK, gentlemen's agreement then.

You paint your lures with water based paints, than you wrap the lure in clear adhesive tape. Bright, isn't it? (:lol:)

What is going on. This thread is all over the place.

Imagine putting the lure on a Dremel to turn it. Better put some goggles on or you might get some E-word embedded deep in to your eye. But at that speed it would make a very nice, thin topcoat.

Next question. What are we talking about? Making a lure that changes colors, or a lure that you can paint over and over? Changing the colors seems cool but I think the fellas on that auction site are already painting the lures over and over. I saw a bait on there other day that looked like it had 4 or 5 (very clear) exoskeletons on it. Looked like a table top at that 80's bar.

Legos... I like that one. Are you going to add a fixed lip or just include one in the kit that snaps on? Will they be glued or just a freestyle lure so you can change it while it is still tied on? I don't care, I'll take 2.

Is someone going to make a lure out of a Transformer? If not, that will be my idea:yeah:. Where is that little Cha-Ching smilies when you need it. It is an Action Figure, it has the action built in. If I wanted to change it to a different lure on the go, I would have to take a kid with me to transform it. (Child not included)

thumb-transformer33.jpgThis is not the actual bait, or the child.