radu

Water based paint over seal

I have this problem: for sealing the lure, i use a flooring sealing urethane. it is shiny after drying. When i want to prime the lure by hand, i use a water based email paint. And even when i do not prime, applying this water based paint, it runs, it is not stable on the lure and the colors will mix, resulting in a very berserk-looking lure.

question 1: will the use of an airbrush for both priming and painting with water based paint over urethane make the paint not run?

q2: if i still want to paint by hand, if i change and start using oil based paint, is it sure it that the paint will nor run over the sealer surface?

thanx

radu

Radu

I spray over Devcon or similar sealer w/ airbrush(createx) I havent had any run problems,maybe your going to thick ? or not allowing enough dry time between coats, however I do scuff my sealer with a light sandpaper(600) to help with the paint grab the surface you might try that

Vmaxx

radu,

Floor type of urathane is usually what we call moisture cured urathane. It gives a slick glass type of surface. Water based paints have trouble holding on to this type of surface. It is like trying to paint glass. Littlebear is right. If you still want to use that type of sealer then you really need to use lacquer paint. Lacquer sticks to just about anything. I have never tried the vinyl paints, so I don't know about them. If the lure is made from hard wood then you can get a can of polyurathane and just wipe on a thin coat with a rag. Let it dry for a day and then paint it with your water based paints. It will work fine. Oil based paints are just a pain in my opinion. They are messy and hard to clean up. You might try a Japanese acrylic pait that I have used called Takimi or something like that. It is some tough stuff and it dries very quickly. It is a paint used for models. If the lure is made of balsa, send me some email and I will tell you what to do.

Skeeter