Jump to content

- - - - -

a new problem

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jcb19983



  • TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

I just used a bait that i recently made and the paint started to crack, i cant remember if i used createx or testors paint ,and i used polyurithane as a clear coat. there were no rocks were i was fishing either.

#2 Kribman



  • TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

There are two regions where I can guess you may have gone wrong. 1st is the sealing prior to painting. I like to soak the body in a polyurethane stain/sealer I have. I leave it in for a minute or so, and then pull it out and let it dry. Then, I sand, and repeat. Three coats or so and this baby's ready to go. Thats how I seal. Some use dissolvable pellets in water or acetone, and thats another option. The 2nd area could be with the clearcoat. I would just simply go with the tried and true Devcon 2 or Envirotex Epoxy clearcoat. They are great products, and if applied correctly, they will keep water and teeth out of your bait. Good luck jcb.

#3 woodieb8


    Advanced Member

  • TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Location:
    lake st clair

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

use a sealer first. then you must use compatible paints for good adherence. then a good clearcoat. read the threads. theres a world of good onfo here.