MTfishingrods

I think I grew out of another room.

Well last night my wife finally had enough of the airbrush compressor kicking on in the middle of the night. She said something had to change. Well we have had this conversation many times before. That is why I cant run most of my woodworking tools after 10:00PM and why I have a bed taking up half of my assembly room so I dont wake her up comming to bed whenever I decide to. If I am not in bed by midnight, I know where I am sleeping. (Ha, look what time it is :lol:):whistle:

Well heres my solution. Obviously she cant make me put everything out in the woodshop area because it needs to stay in a clean enviornment. And the room in the house barely can be classified as that. So since the flytying desk looks the nicest Its now been moved into a part of the living room that does not get used much. No problem there. Its the Made2fly desk, if I keep it straightend up :lol: we wont have any arguments. I cant even type it without laughing. Oh well.

Heres the important part. I need the compressor moved out to the woodshop but I also need air in my assembly room. Would there be a problem with running pipe around the outside of the house and then into my hobby room and adding a connection in there for my airgun hose? Now I have done this before and I know my compressor will handle it. I know what type of pipe I need. What I need to know is I have never done it specifically for an airbrush. The outside pipe will be the flexible poly pipe being used in homes today for waterlines. It will handle the airpressure and everything but with our long cold winters here in MT I am worried about moisture getting into the system. Should I have a dryer at the compressor and at the outlet where my airhose attaches? Hopefully someone has done this before and will have some advice.

I almost have her convinced to give the airbrush a try. I think she would be awesome. She had some real artistic talent in high school and I dont think it woulld take much to get it back. Definately would not take much to pass me up. I have thought about a smaller one for after hours. Problem is I dont know for sure It would make the difference. I am dirrectly under the bed she is sleeping in. No insulation between floors to amount to anything. Atic is out of the question because of the layout of the house. There is a way I could run the pipe all inside, but it would mean taking this from a half day job to a couple day job. Im not sure I have it in me. I really need to make this as quick of a transition as possible. I need to dive in here in the next couple of weeks and just comit to whatever I decide and go because i have way to many have finished projects going and im beginning to feel them comming to bite me in the a$$. If anyone thinks this will not work then maybe another small compresser will be the way to go. I guess I can always figure out some sort of an insulated sound box for it to go in to or something.

About 25 years ago, the old dot matrix printers used to be almost deafening in closed in office spaces; in oder to minimize the noise, they used to put the printers in a hush box. They reduced the noise by about 65 to 75%. With the improvements in sound proof insulation, it may by simpler to make a hush box for your compressor. It's something I'd look into if I was in your position. Good luck

I recently had the same problem here. My work shop is in the garage but I do all of my painting in the basement. What I did was bought another compressor hose and ran it from the garage through the sheet rock in the rim joist of the house and then through the floor trusses and dropped it down right over my bench. My basement is unfinished so it took all of five minutes to do, dont know what your situation is.

I leave the garage end of the hose sticking out of the wall about 12 inches so I can hook up to it when I need it, when I'm not painting just I just unhook it so none is tripping on it in the garage.

Works great for me and alot easier than piping.

Hope this helps.

I live in an apartment complex and don't get home until after 7pm. A noisy compressor is not an option. I bought a noiseless compressor from a craft shop. It was rediculously expensive, but that is mainly down to my location and craft shops double the price anyway. The sound was about the same as a fish tank aerator pump.

The reservoir tank is vary small and pressure drop problems may be present. But, I have no experience of normal compressors as I am just learning to brush. I am away from home at the moment and I cannot recall the manufacturer. It is another option to consider.

I would not do away from the hush box just yet. I am going to be moving my compressor to an outside wall and build an insulated box around it and then add a make up air hole that will supply more then enough air to keep the compressor cool. iF IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HOUSE YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. iF YOU GO TO YOUR LOCAL HARDWARE STORE YOU CAN GET ALL SIZES OF MESH COVERS FOR ADDING AIR TO A SPECIFIED AREA. yOU JUST NEED (SORRY) caps were locked. If you look at the compressor on top you will see where the aie needs to pass over the compressor. I do not like the idea of warm air going into the cold then back to warm. That spells condesation and lots of it. If you do it be sure to put pipe insulation on the pipe to help maintain the air temp. JUst my opinion and can not be held liable for you wife beating you if it does not work.:teef::teef::teef:

D3

It seems like the amount of heat was pretty fair with the printers too, on the bottom of the box was a baffled air opening with a 3 or 4 inch computer fan. These were for late 1980s printers with 16 pin print head, something like18 to 24 dip switches and the wide formated fanfold paper.

LedHed - I think you'll find that insulation has advanced some from the days of the old Pink Corning days, but I suppose you could always run an 4 inch A/C flex duct into the hush box. Seriously, I think if you add just a 6" air space around the compressor and have a small fan running in the box it should work okay.

I have some good sound board insulation from making m sound box for my sho vac. That project went great and I cna litteraly turn my shop vac on close the door and almost not hear it. I also have enough fans and flex ducts left over from my Heating and AC days I should be able to ventilate this one if it ends up needing it. This will be strictly for painting in this room. I cant think of anything else I would want to do with it. I have looked into the silent ones, but ouch. Thats going to be for when all else fails. Some good ideas here. will let everyone know what I decide and what ends up working

Edited by MTfishingrods