matt duarte

new to site! thought i post some of my work

hey guys! this is a awesome site im glad i found it! i just started making my own baits about 4 days ago... i thought id give it a try since ive lost over 65 bucks in lures my last 2 fishing trips and that was only 3 lures!

so far i think im doing pretty well i havent got to test out the lures in the water yet, i still need to get some epoxy to cover the baits so they are protected from water and to also give it that "real lure" look well here are some of the pix. my crank is pretty much done just needs epoxy and paint. im still working on the swimmie. i still need to sand it a bit, add the hooks and a lip but tell me what you guys think.. i know its no wear near pro material but i think it should catch some bass!

crank:

homemadelure2.jpg

fisheye.jpg

basslure2.jpg

basslure3.jpg

mattslurewithooks.jpg

finishedlure.jpg

finishedlure3.jpg

swimmie in the works:

jointedswimmie.jpg

jointedswimmie2.jpg

ill post more pix of the swimmie as it get closer to being done. so far i redid the joints of the swimmie in the pic there kinda spaced far apart so i counter sank one of the segments eyes into the body of the bait so it now is closer together and works better to (doesnt flap around as much)

well let me know what you guys think!!! tips, tricks, constructive critisim all welcome!

Matt,

Welcome to the addiction known as Tackleunderground. It seems like once you get started it's difficult to put down and spend quality time with the wife and family.

Your lures look like there coming along pretty good to me. It might be a little early in the day for most of the folks, being at work. Non-members can look, but can't post, so that could be part of count. Most members introduce themselves and give us a little background, that way we can figure out why your working on the baits your working on. There are several tutorial that might help you with the building and finishing processes in the Member Submitted Tutorials - you can get there real easy by hit the "How-To" button on the top menu bar.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

welcome aboard, did you ever think of trying the paint scheme you have on your thumb? never know it may be a winner.

haha ya that paint is "tracer paint" i sprayed it onto a small piece of aluminum to cut out the lip for the bait... i was going to use a plastic lip but with the alum there is no need for the crank to be weighted..

i hope to get at least one of these painted by this weekend so i can give it a test run but we will see i dont have any good paint off hand so ill proly rattle can them with some hobbie bait for rc cars.

oh ya also for the eyes i used POP rivit ends.. they seem to work good and have a nice size to them.. before i epoxy the baits im going to go down to a craft store to find some plastic rubi colored gem deals to put in the hole of the rivit so it has a shinny eye

Edited by matt duarte

Welcome aboard and I like how you started your lures with your own design.

btw, my other nick is LaPicky so be warned if I were to offer comments LOL.

Anyway the segmented lure doesn't show any weighting yet but I'd garner a guess that u'll have to weight the tail segment a bit right at the bottom so it can float upright as u intended(?). A flat piece like that with a single join will tend to want to twist and float flatside up. The design sure looks promising and pretty unique.

First of all, welcome. If the addiction has truly got a hold on you you will have a crank finished by weekend, 'couse you will be up 'til 3 or 4 in morning like rest of us that come up with a new idea. Sleep? We don't need no stinkin' sleep! :yeah:

Baits are lookin' good. As far as weighting the swimmie, definitely epoxy the weights in. Don't know what the wood is, but some woods don't like hot lead and you won't get a good bond, not as good as you will get with epoxy. Epoxy will seal all the gap between lead and wood. If you get a crack beween them, as you might by melting lead, you rin the danger of getting moisture seepage into bait and weight will eventually fall out.

Keep up the good work, and check out the tutorials. They will be a big help, now and later also.

David

You can pinch some split shot on the treble or hang some drop shot weights on the hooks to get the weighting close. After you seal the lure, of course.

I typically start with a weighted hook hanger, since the hook position is usually where I want my weight, and work back toward the head from there if I need more weight. Your hook is farther forward than I usually put my first hook hanger, so you might want to add some weight just behind the hook hanger, far enough away to leave enough wood to keep the hanger connection strong.

If the tail is floating up, and you don't want it to, try using stickon weights, like the Suspend Dots or Strips, to figure out how much to put where.

Remember to take the time to test the lure after you've weighted it, and before you finish paint it, so you don't wind up with a pretty paper weight. And allow 2-3 grams for paint and epoxy. So you should keep that much lead out after you've figured out how much you want to add to allow for the finish.

Good luck.

And don't be afraid to drill out some weight, or add more.

I've learned a lot from my mistakes.

Edited by mark poulson

Cool stuff my man.... Cool stuff! Keep up the good work.. You can use epoxy like David said.. but I dont use devcon to keep my weights in the wood.. I use Epoxy putty.. Got that tip from Fatfingers.. Heck that would be a good thread.. what is the best stuff to keep your balls in:eek:.. :lol:!!.. epoxy...epoxy putty.. or TOOTHPASTE!!!! dont laugh but I fill nail pops with toothpaste if Im too lazy to go to lowes and get the good stuff.. It actually works for door trim.... dont think it would work on fishing lures.... REDNECK FIX IT TIP of the week..!!! Now if you do use toothpaste.. dont blame me if it doesnt work.. you might not be using the correct toothpaste... Its 12:35 AM and I been smellin paint all day long. So my mind is not actually focused on the thread at hand! But now I promise you will get some replies... Welcome to the board good luck with your lure swimbait flat crank majig!

The Rookie

"Its not how deep you fish.. its how you wiggle your worm"

Edited by The_Rookie

I love threads like these. This is what building is all about...balls out, go for broke engineering.

Pop rivets for eyes? You betcha. Adding lead as you go? (*Fatfingers does his best impression from the jail house scene with Gene Wilder)"That's right, that's right.We bad, we bad."

Welcome to the boards, my friend.

You'll fit right in here, Matt. Soon the world will look very different to you.

See that sugar you used to thoughtlessly throw in your coffee? Now, before you stick your spoon in it, you'll consider its possibilities as glitter. Plastic will no longer be something you casually discard....oh no; you must first examine it for even the least potential as some type of stencil. Your wife's makeup drawer takes on a life of its own...its brimming with color (nail polish) and applicators (little makeup brushes) and stencils (that huge variety of thingies she uses to curl and otherwise toy with her hair-do). Your friends will look at you with raised eyebrows as they respond, "Why yes, Matt, I'll save my kids popsicle sticks for you." And woman will view you quite differently too...as they question your masculinity after seeing you in the lace and fabric department at Walmart for the third time this week.

Welcome to the insanity. You can never go back...never.:lol::lol::lol::teef:

I try not to ballast the tail section since that can cut down on the bait's action; but if it needs some, put it at the lowest part of the tail. I'd fit some trebles on the hangers and insert the lip temporarily, then find the nose-tail balance point of the lure. Using that as an index, either put the ballast there or shift it front/back to alter the attitude and action of the bait. Best would probably be to waterproof the wood and do a float test. Hang different ballast weight on some ss wire and attach it to the belly, moving it until you get the float attitude and depth that looks best. Unless it's very heavy wood, I bet it will need some ballast to keep from flopping over on its side.