rlcam

Rattle can Bluegill / Cute Shad

Here is my attempt at a Bluegill pattern with the cans.I looked at alot of

pics in the gallery and of real photos and this is what I came up with.Don't know if I could duplicate it,this one was a PITA to do.

Couldn't get a good pic of it cleared but I tried.Although being a little different,the other one is a take off from a sexy shad.You might just call it a "Cute Shad".Also there is a better pic of the Jitterbug I revitalized...Robert

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/rlcam20/Repaints/Repaints251-2.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/rlcam20/Repaints/Repaints221-1.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/rlcam20/Repaints/Repaints277-1.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/rlcam20/Repaints/Repaints273.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/rlcam20/Repaints/Repaints268.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/rlcam20/Repaints/S3010087.jpg

Robert,

The results your getting from those rattle cans makes me want to ask just one question, have I seen examples of your art on the many freight trains that go past my house every day??? Hahaha. Just a minor piece of advice, if you add and around the your image URL, the photos will show up in you post and still not add to the file size of the post.

Really looking great.

Guys I swear I am using rattle cans from WalMart,the $2.97 cans not the .99 cent ones.(Only the best paints for me :lol:)I just take alot of

time,cut out stencils and play around with it.I appreciate all the good coments on the bluegill,but for realism does it look close enough to the reaL deal to keep painting this pattern.I just kinda throwed that one together...Robert

I'm starting to re-paint factory crankbaits and I just bought an airbrush and some paints. I have to say that bluegill looks really nice.. Can you make a video on how you do it with rattle cans and post it on YouTube? I'd love to see how you made it...:worship:

I appreciate The Love i'm getting over this Bluegill.Just started this a month or so back and already have enough lures from local guys to keep me busy all spring.I really love this painting,although it has put a halt to my carving of lures.I am going to do one(or attempt to do one) for a friend of mine,I may try to video it.The only thing is,I do all mine at work and I work by myself(I operate the drawbridge in my avatar)but I may try it...Thanks,Robert

A video would be great. You rock!.. What do you use to make the color so deep / glossy looking? I was going to use just spray on clear coat but I also heard someone say they use some type of epoxy.

I took a junk bait and painted it white with a rattle can last night. I need a new airbrush as the el-cheapo that I purchased will not allow me to make really fine lines for gills, I could make a stencil though.. I think I'll check ebay or somewhere for a better airbrush..

A video would be great. You rock!.. What do you use to make the color so deep / glossy looking? I was going to use just spray on clear coat but I also heard someone say they use some type of epoxy

Thanks,I use Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy.You have to mix it real good to get good results,just apply it with an elcheapo art brush and it levels itself and you have to turn it so it won't run.I have used Krylon Clear Glaze,it works good and looks awesome after several coats.I don't think it dries as hard as D2T.

awesome job. I totally believe you. i'm new to luremaking and can't get myself to dish out the cash for an abrush just yet. i'd like to be able to do the same on my baits using rattle cans. in fact i've already purchased some.

one question... how do you hold/position your stencils to get that faded effect? it seems to me that holding it too close to the lure will result in sharped-edged lines that wouldn't look as good.

Are you doing this manually or are you using a wheel? If you're doing it manually, what are your times for turning...every 5min, 15min?

I haven't done a lot like this,but I brushed it on and put my watch in front of me and turned them every minute for about 10 min.Kind of a pain but I don't have a wheel yet so I have to make due,besides I have 12hrs a shift to kill.

I was wondering what you bridge operators do all day!

This is what I do,the other guys watch t.v. most of the time.I am just filling in for now,I am use to real work.I am on Maintenance of our bridges.It would drive me crazy to just sit here.Oh,and sometimes I forget :whistle:and leave a rod or two in my truck and somehow it makes it to the bank for a little fishing around the first pier.

one question... how do you hold/position your stencils to get that faded effect? it seems to me that holding it too close to the lure will result in sharped-edged lines that wouldn't look as good.

It is a little tricky or atleast for me to keep the stencils still,but you can spray at an angle with the stencil lifted a little and get the faded look.You are right about the sharp edged lines.I found that out on the first two or three I done.

...but I brushed it on and put my watch in front of me and turned them every minute for about 10 min.Kind of a pain but I don't have a wheel yet so I have to make due...

That's a slight pain, but good to know. I don't have a wheel either, but right now don't need one. We use an extremely durable coating here at work and it's spray applied. I am lucky enough to have a fellow angler in the back/ fishing partner who sprays...You get the point. Thanks for the input, I wanted to start playing around with D2T just to have some options and you helped. Thanks!!

:tipsy:

6 Feet,what is the spray clear,if you don't mind me asking and can anyone get it.The D2T dries hard and isn't too hard to work with,but I would like a spray clear if I could find one that is as good.The clear glaze is extremely clear and easy to use but after several days you can take your fingernail and dent it a little.I'm going to throw some that just have it on them and see how it holds up.The spray would just be easier for me since I have to be mobil with my "paint booth",I do it mostly at work.Just on my breaks of course:whistle:...Robert

Edited by rlcam

6 Feet,what is the spray clear,if you don't mind me asking and can anyone get it...

It's a proprietary coating we use for a completely different process. I work with a company that does a digital imaging process to a variety of different substrates such as glass, aluminum, steel, FRP, MDF, ceramic tile, etc...we're capable of doing 4'x10' sheets of material. We apply our coating to the material and then using high heat and high pressure we transfer photographic quality images to the material through the coating. Unfortunately, it's not something anyone can get. :(

WANT TO START MESSING WITH PAINTING A LURE OR TWO,THOSE LOOK SWEET THAT YOU DID. WHAT KIND OF PAINT ARE YOU USEING? AND WHAT KIND OF CLEAR COAT FINISH ? THANK YOU .sorry i didnt see it was all capitol till iwas done ,not yelling at anyone. lol