Boskabouter

How do you keep your baits dustfree?

I was wondering if you guys take special precautions to keep your baits dustfree while painting and clearing?

I wear rubber gloves and touch the baits as less as possible. Nevertheless I always see dust on the baits between clearing/painting/clearing and find it difficult to clean them. How do you guys handle this?

Any input much appreciated.

Grtz Paul

Dead still air is the ticket. When I used to spray furniture in my garage, I'd open the front overhead door, take an air hose and blow out all the dust for a couple of minutes, with a fan in the back of the garage blowing out, and the small door in the back open, to make sure it didn't just come back in. Then I'd let the garage sit with all the doors closed for an hour, so any dust in the air settled down. Then I'd wipe down whatever I was going to spray, and, wearing a respirator, spray the lacquer or urethane. I'd let it sit until it flashed, and then leave through the back door so I disturbed the air the least. It worked for me, but it was not a production setup.

For production, a dedicated spray booth with a back fan to collect overspray is the way to go.

In the past we made spray booths for a commercial painting company, before OSHA and all the regulations. We'd build 2X4 walls floor to ceiling in front of the spray booth, cover the inside with chicken wire, and then the painting company would fill the stud bays with some kind of cotton filtering material. They had huge exhaust fans on the roof, and big filter racks behind where they sprayed. When they turned on their system, any loose clothing would be pulled toward the filters. But they did painting and plating for Govt. projects, including the instrument panels for jets, and they couldn't afford to have any dust.

For hobbyists and small lure makers, the remote exhaust fan idea is still a good one, but it would involve a little work. But that way all dust, overspray, and fumes go out, not into your lungs.

Some people on this site have done a good job with their own spray booths. I think you can find pictures if you do a search.