KcDano

Tu-mo 08 Meet

Hello,

Another fine time at the TU-MO meet. New faces from far away places and old friends unite again. Who would ever think the event in 3 short years would have international participation. As always it was a great group, couldn't think of a better way to spend 3 days! Nathan and Debbie pulled it off again, Thank You! Coley's fish is the best, he goes to alot of trouble to provide that for us, Thanks for all you did for me and the rest! Charlie Mitchell no more excuses you be there next time! Gene, sure was grand to meet with you again and see what the knife has created, top notch carver he is (Lincoya) First time I had the opportunity to meet the TU boss A.K.A. Redgator, Nice Guy thanks for all the gifts, Jerry, and hope you make it back this way again (I will bring more homebrew next year). As the plug swap goes, I made out like a bandit recieved some fine baits from the fellows! Dave was gracious enough to give a tour of his facillity and operational procedure, Thanks Dave!The meet just gets better every year, my only regret is 3 days isn't long enough! To all that attended this year, Thanks for the memories!

Dan

I have to agree with KC to the max. This past weekend was an event to remember. Finally got to match the faces with the names, a truley great group of new friends, even though through this forum it is like you have known them forever.

As I was driving to the meet, I was daydreaming some and had visions of passing a minivan. As I looked over at the minivan, low and behold there was a guy with a gray beard and a cheesehead hat. How weird! When I pulled into Nathan's yard, another vehicle had just pulled in ahead of me. The door opened and WOW . . . . this guy with a gray beard and a big yellow cheesehead hat steps out. I was only wrong about the minivan. The point is, there was no mistaking who this guy was. Good to have met you Bruce.

A huge thanks go out to Nathan and Debbie for being such wonderful hosts. Jerry also gets a thumbs up for supplying so much, with the help of Mrs. Red, and especially for this site which has brought the group together.

A special thank you to Emory who took the time to explain so much to me about the silicone mold process. PhilB, what a hoot you are,and I am glad you caught on so quick with the art of a buzzbait. It was great to meet Pete from Oz. KC Dano a real spokesman and fun guy to be around, just don't go into politics, stick with lures. And of course it was great to see my friend David again, I'll be calling you soon David.

To the guys chatting about doing the West Coast Meet, FOLLOW THROUGH WITH IT! It is an experience that will be unmatched ever.

Thanks again to all, I had a wonderful time and am already looking forward to next year.

Dano,

Don't forget ChampionBoatGuy; Josh looked like he had found the promised land (and maybe he had). One thing was for sure, he was in sponge mode and while he hasn't been building crankbaits long, I think his learning curve just shot through the roof; I can't wait to see the bait he'll be turning out in the future. Even the wives seemed to have blast, to say had a good time just comes up short... I think they're sisters of something called "Beadingunderground.com", a wives's support group for women married to the tacklemakers. My wife was telling me how next year, we'll getting there on Thursday, and gal's might bead swap... Nathan and Debbie, my hats off to you both for making every one feel right at home and the way the two of you shine when you get within a few feet of each other. Gene was having an off day fishing Saturday, the last count I heard was around 24 and it was still climbing. Coley and Zoe seem to have a real bond, I watched for several minutes, an activity that was new to me, "pig poking" and Zoe had a blast. Got a real time opportunity to watch Pete show us thinking out side the box, and everyone was happy it was a successful demonstration. George Reevses, a fellow wire bender, had me drooling over a box of toys he was passing a round, a word of warning for the spring Musky Hunt, be afraid big boys, Uncle Spike's got a few new toys to show you. PhilB and hazmail will be hitting Truman Res latter this week as international lure testers with Coach guiding them; I hope the weather is clear and fish are hammering everything they cast. Meeting the redg8r was pretty cool, kind of feel I have little more insight to his vision for the future of Tackleunderground and from what I understand, it's only going to continue to keep getting better. The TU attire that Mrs.redg8r as gifts will be enjoyed for a long time to come, thanks Missi for my new favorite cap. I've to agree with KcDano, in regards to the bait swap, I feel like I stoled the crown jewels (sorry Phil), what a haul. Dave, that is some operation you've got going there. There tour and live demonstration of how lead casting is done by Dave was IMPRESSIVE to say the least. I'm hoping that some the fly fishermen that were going through those tiny jigs will post those future creations. To all that attended, it was a pleasure to have met you, talked with you, break bread with you, and fished with you... I can't wait til the next because we're planning to attend. To the other 6,9xx of you, I hope you'll be at the next one too.

So, how many tacklemakers does it take to break into a car?

Thanks one and all, I think my future responses to posts to the new friends I made will take a little longer, now that I'll have a visual of the poster and the memories that will come to life.

Bruce

It certainly was a pleasure to meet you and Buce also. I have a fine picture of the cheesehead in full headgear, HaHa!

We will get everybody covered! Yes, Josh is well on his way,for the few baits he has built you get indication as to what is to come and it looks all good to me!

Edited by KcDano

My appologies to anyone I forgot to mention in my previous post. Gene, you would probably slap me if you were close enough for forgetting to mention you. What a remarkable guy, and a humble wealth of knowledge about the craft of carving and luremaking.

It was a pleasure to meet Josh, a young lad so full of energy and desire to learn quickly. A sponge you are Josh!

Thanks again all!

"Coley and Zoe seem to have a real bond, I watched for several minutes, an activity that was new to me, "pig poking" and Zoe had a blast"

Bruce:

I don't appreciate this remark, period.

First of all I don't think you and I are close enough friends for

you to say something like this.

And you saw nothing of the sort!!!

You owe me and this forum an apology.

Coley

Coley,

I wasn't trying to offend, that wasn't my intention at all. What I was trying to reference was the way I watched you and Zoe interact when she was standing next to you and you where gently poking her with the side of your foot and the way she was grunting back, I assumed you where playing her... That's all it was.

Coley, Please accept my apology on this matter, I value your friendship to much to have this come between us. Sorry.

Hey Coley, you missed it Sunday, in a moment of pure genius, locked my keys in the rental car at Laery's shop. :teef:

It might have very well topped your midday baptism compliments of Dano :whistle:

I gotta say, preparing for the trip, anticipating the event, I was expecting a nice time, but it's literally mindblowing how much fun it was to spend a few days with this group.

I won't go into my experience with each member, I'll do a more formal writeup when all the pictures come in, but pay attention to what these guys are saying, being able to sit down & talk shop with these business owners & enthusiasts takes the luremaking experience to a whole new level. Everyone had a unique talent & I'm humbled to say the least.

I do want to thank each & every one of you who came out, even the couple of you who I didn't get to meet. A special thanks to Nathan & Deb who are extraordinary hosts, and to Mr. Laery of Hook Solutions for opening up his shop for a private tour, Fascinating stuff. And who knew, he had enough spinnerbait wire to break into a 2008 SUV?

It was surreal heading back home, It didnt feel right leaving such good company.

I was so late heading back that I nearly missed my flight, (Evident below)

Thank you again, each & every one of you.

Till Next Year!! :yeah:

youre_late.jpg

youre_late.jpg

youre_late.jpg

youre_late.jpg

youre_late.jpg

youre_late.jpg

youre_late.jpg

youre_late.jpg

2961_thumb.attach

Edited by redg8r

Deb. and I would like too thank everyone for attending..We had a blast!!..A special thanks goes out too Coley for not only supplying the fish and fixings, but cooking them up too!! And thank you Gene and Linda for all your help..You guys did everything from helping with the cooking too cleaning up...

Jerry,you and the Mrs. supplied some great shirts and hats..Thank you..We will wear them with pride..It was great too have so many new faces in attendance this year..Jerry,Bruce,Phil,Pete,George,Josh..I hope I didn't miss anyone.It was equally good too reunite with some old friends..Dave,KC,Coley,Gene,Linda,Tally....As for the lure swap..I also made out like a bandit.These little gems will be displayed with honor in my case.

We are already looking forward too the 09 get together..Everyone keep the first weekend in May open!!

I want too tell you all something....Our shop is sure a lonley old place without all our friends.....Nate and Deb.

I'm glad everyone had such a good time. I will make plans to attend next year. As for the TU gear...I'm glad you all liked them. I am still learning the silkscreen trade so please forgive me for any mistakes on anyones shirt. I didn't get a chance to look them over before I packed them. Its alot like the tacklemaking trade. You learn by your mistakes. Just know they were all made with love for the people who make this site happen.

You guys are great. I know Jerry came home feeling like he had left his family behind. I loved hearing the stories of everything but it's not like being there. I will next year! I just hope you guys don't mind a woman being In the mix. nothing against the ladies but I'm really bad at crafting. I'm a tomboy at heart. I Love To fish! work on old cars, drink beer. Don't worry, I won't be there the whole time... I just want to fish with you all. I will spend some time with the women. I hear I have a twin amoungst you. From what I hear Me and Deb are alot alike. thats trouble with a capital T. Watch out boys ..we might just have to have a Tackleunderground Widowmakers Club going next year. I'll bring the Asti if you provide the straws. :lol: They might be able to teach me how to be crafty after a bottle or two. My daughter is incredibly crafty. she creates and sews her own clothes. I can't even sew on a button. I throw the shirt out. I know she didn't get it from me.

Hopefully Deb and the ladies can help me out next year. I'll start bead shopping and save up for next year. I can't wait.

I respect and love you all for making this all happen. Not to mention the glow on Jerrys face when he talks about it. He needed a little RR.

He works day and night on this site and our buisness.

He had a great time.

Thank you to all!

Mrs. Redg8r

OK, Bruce all is forgiven, lets let it die here and now.

Deb & Nate, love you both. Another great time from

our wonderful hosts.

Tally, so good to see you, even if only for a short time.

Bruce, you make some killer musky spinners, I don't

think I could throw one of those big boys all day long.

George, your powder painting is unreal. Send me a pm

with your phone number and a time to call and I will

tell you of an idea I have for pouring a single cavity

mold from the bottom up.

KC, I agree with the vortex theory, especially after it pulled

me into the pond, beer had nothing to do with it. I am

not to sure there wasn't a force from behind though.

Josh, you are such a nice young person, are you sure you

want to be corrupted by such a group of lunatics.

Phil, sorry I had such a tough time understanding some

words, it will be better next time. Congratulations, on catching

your first bass and a beauty at that. How you make such

large baits without power tools is almost unbelievable.

Pete, glad you made it. I know you had a great time and

your Mylar covered baits and lip bending process

is something I plan to use in the future. Thanks, for

the shirt and cap, what does ACT stand for??

David, good to see you again, even if for only a couple hours.

Gene, your carving, was of great help to many, in case

you didn't notice. Thanks for your help with the cooking.

Jerry, thanks for TU, without it, I wouldn't of met so many new friends. I got the "Sammie" from you and the painting is remarkable. I think I understand the vacuum forming

of stencils, if I have trouble I will let you know. I don't

pour much plastic anymore, if you want a couple molds

for the zipper worms let me know. Thanks for the shirt

and cap, I'll wear them with pride. Most of all, thanks

for coming, I am sure you will be back.

Next year, I think its time for another "HOBO" or meal in

a can.

To Deb and Linda who helped with many meals, thanks

a million. I sure would like to have a piece of that chocolate

cake, right now.

WOW! I miss the thread for a couple of days and I have to spend an hour reading and catching up! The TU08 meet will be my first in a what I hope is a long future in tackle making. I can't even begin to thank all of you for helping me out! I really wish I could have spent another day down there. Too bad. Hopefully next year I'll get some more time away....

I am still in the process of de-sponging all the info from this weekend. I should have written everything down as I heard it, but I'd have carpal tunnel I'm sure... Anyhow, I have a new game plan for my next set of baits. I can't wait to get started. And to think I was only there for one day!

Deb and Nathan, thanks for hosting. You two are an amazing couple. Couldn't have done it without ya! Hope to see you next year!

Sounds like you had a great time. I have my computer set to go directly to the soft plastics forum when I click on TU. I did not hear about the meet until it was too late for me to plan to go. I plan to go next year but suggest you post an announcement on all forums of the upcoming meet or email all members or something. Thanks.

Well for the short time I was able to stay, it was GREAT! Work just does not allow much time off and I had a blast...fishing, bait swap and hanging out with Nathan, Deb, Gene and Coley. You have no idea how relaxed I was just getting out of the office and kicking back. Wish I could have stayed at least one more day to meet the ones I did not.

Tally

Well, I've been home for a few days now and I have read all of your posts. I'm like Phil. What else can I say other than I had a great time!! I made some new friends and met some great people, not to mention that I got to see old friends again. Oh, and I learned some stuff, too!

When I look back at the "first" TU get-together I remember it was just 4 of us; Coley, Charlie Mitchell, and Jack Long. Coley & Charlie & I still keep in touch regularly and have become good friends.

The second TU gathering was three years ago at Nathan's house. We had 7 or 8 people that showed up then. At that meeting I finally met Nathan in person. He and I had known each other since the days of Tacklemaking. He and I have also become good friends thanks to Tackleunderground. A plus to this is that our wives have also become friends.

The third get-together was two years ago, again at Nathan's. And now, our fourth meeting. The number of participants just keeps growing.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, that over the years we have all made friends thru TU but there are none more special than those that we actually get to shake hands with. Personalities show through on the forum but true personalities can only be seen when you met someone face-to-face.

Nathan is already planning the event for next year. I know it will be bigger and better than the last one. I'd like to see more of you show up next year. If it's too far, plan one that would be closer but, do yourself a favor and attend one somewhere. It will be an experience that you will never forget.

BTW, Pete (Hazmail) should be arriving here sometime tomorrow.

Gene

Phil,

How was the fishing on Truman Res and the trip to Bass Pro? Any problems with customs? It was great getting to meet and I hope to see you again at future meets.

Hi Bruce

We fished Lake Pomme de Terre. We didnt have any fish off the lake :( but moved onto the river and up one of the inlets to the river that you guys call creeks and I managed to catch my first small mouth bass, so that is my second new fish under the belt :yeah:. I did hope for Muskie from the lake but it was never really on the cards as the lake was not in true form with all the water and colour to it, 'Coach' our guide really did his best to put us onto fish and next time it may be different, I can recommend Jim as a guide, a top guy. However when pulling into the creek I did spot a very big Muskie laid in the margins which slowly glided into the depths as we arrived so although I didnt catch one I did see one which was a treat.

I tested your muskie spinners and they work well, I am sure on the day they will catch, no problem.

Nice to have met you at the meet and hopefully it will not be to long before we can meet up again.

Bass Pro was a real experience and an alladins cave for a die hard angler like me, we spent all day there and I loaded up with shed loads of gear which is hard to come by here in the Uk. What made the whole trip even better was that I was in the excellent company of Pete who was a real good and funny guy.

Edited by philB

Phil,

Your fishing trip sounds terrific. I'm glad you got to watch Esox Masquinongy in his environment. Some of the larger ones get so broad across the back and deliver so much power when they decide to finally attack their prey that my mouth just kind of hangs there for a few minutes while I get my heart pumping again. I was surprised to learn the UK Esox Lucius weren't more aggressive in their natural setting.

I know what you mean about Pete being excellent company, we walked half way around the pond together. He has a refreshing outlook and I'm positive he's a genius. Vman told me to razz Pete a bit for him, but I didn't know where to start.

I can just imagine the two of you at Bass Pro. Did you and Pete get a chance to see the fish in the aquariums? I know they have a feeding show, but I don't know the schedule or other particulars. You had mentioned that you were looking for an ultra-light rod & reel, any luck?

Well Phil, I hope this won't be the last time you make it across the pond and I look forward to seeing you again.

Man, hearing all these stories about things that happened after I left makes me regret not going for a second day! Phil, I'm glad you got to stop by Bass Pro. They opened one in Olathe, about 25 mins from my house, and I've never quite been the same since...as if you couldn't have known by all the BPS clothing I was showing off at the meet. Maybe next year I'll drag my bass boat down and a few of us can hit Truman Lake.