KcDano

Tu-mo 08 Meet

Trying to post on a borrowed lap top sucks. I am back in Clinton to do some day trips, and leave on the 21st, and will try and catch up with Nathan again. I will do a 'proper post' when I get MY computer back. Thank's for all your generosity and unbelievable hospitality. pete

Man, hearing all these stories about things that happened after I left makes me regret not going for a second day! Phil, I'm glad you got to stop by Bass Pro. They opened one in Olathe, about 25 mins from my house, and I've never quite been the same since...as if you couldn't have known by all the BPS clothing I was showing off at the meet. Maybe next year I'll drag my bass boat down and a few of us can hit Truman Lake.

Sounds good to me :yeah:. Just hope I will be able to make it.

Just heard on the radio there is a BIG civil war thing going on in Kansas City this weekend- might have to drive up and have a look. I was lucky enough to have Gene take me along to a small demo in Tennessee a few weeks back, saw some really interesting stuff there- hope you all will excuse my enthusiasm, we don't often get to see this stuff, where I come from.pete

Pete,

Good to hear from you again! How's your head?

Gene

Gene

I have been getting weird looks (weirder than usual) all around the country. I have just completed the scab clearing, this morning.

Spent a few days last week with Vince (Fatfingers) in Ohio, fishing and talking, nice guy and like you and everyone else I have met, extremely generous with their time, I'm learning all the time and have loved it -I leave here on the 21st

Linda and Gene thanks again, you made it even more memorable. pete

Edited by hazmail

Pete,

I had heard that you and Vince dropped in to say "Hello" to Cuttem Jack in PA. I know he's recovering from the two broken feet and he said that visit just made his day and got him to get back into his tackle making again. He also said that you and Vince had forgotten more about making tackle than he would ever know about it.

Hope you have a good, safe trip home next week.

Pete,

Linda & I are glad that you spent some time with us. We enjoyed your company. I'm sorry that we didn't catch more fish though. I want you to know that you are welcome at my house any time.

p.s.

I finally got the blood washed off the porch. :lol:

Gene

Well I’m back, and compared to the beautiful Missouri weather when I left, it’s freezing here, it was -8C the other night (17F).

I have left this until I returned, because it was such a hassle posting from a borrowed laptop, by the time I typed the message, I would be logged off TU and have to start again.

I had an amazing time due mainly to the generosity of a lot of people who were good enough to show me around, and were so generous with their time.

Nathan and Deb, fed us, entertained and ‘Fishing Guided’ us all, for 3 full days, and I with all the other guys who have already posted would sincerely like to thank them. Coley’s cooking, which was a treat for me, and the ‘grits’ for breakfast, which were different.

Gene and Linda, put up with me for 3 days in Tennessee, fed me, rendered first aid when I bashed my head against their brick work - took me fishing for a day on a beautiful lake, tried to update my GPS so I would not get continually lost (I was more confused than the girl in the GPS sometimes) and gave me a personal tour of Gene’s work shop, with some of his secrets revealed – these 3 days were a testimony to ‘Southern hospitality’.

Dave, at ‘Hook Solutions’, showed us his little factory, and all the in’s and out’s of “Spin Casting” jigs – Dave I still marvel at the time you have spent on template’s and jigs, for making moulds etc, must have taken years of work to set up – thank you Dave it was very instructional, as was the “break and enter” on Jerry’s car.

Then there was the ‘bait’ swap’ which never seemed to end (I got all the wood, plastic and paints through customs) – it’s great to actually see and hold some of these gems in real life, masterpieces all of them, which I treasure, and will be mounting in a special case – I’m a bit embarrassed for not having enough lures with me.

Mrs Redg8r for all your work on the hats and shirts, thank you, and Jerry, I am sorry I could not get to Florida, maybe next time, when the copy lathe is finished???

It’s hard to imagine so many strangers meeting, and getting on so well, so many characters - Dan, I would love to have spent a couple of days talking s--t and drinking that concoction, you called beer, we could change the world. Bruce and his ‘Tin things’, amazing wire work here and George had all the knowledge on Jigs and wire. Josh, what a nice young guy, which I hardly had time to talk to, Coley and Gene, gave him the rounds of the workshop, shame you had only the one day, but boy were you taking it all in – Unfortunately, I missed Tally, who was in Clinton the day before Phil and I arrived, maybe next year.

Phil, what a nice guy (for a pom!!), we met for the first time at Kansas City Airport, and got on like a house on fire (even when I was late - lost again), his sense of humor and enthusiasm for anything, including lure building, is something to behold. I also saw “That Thing” in the shadows, when Jim (great guide) took us fishing on Truman Lake, another great day out, but still no fish.

From Gene’s place in Tennessee, I drove up to Lake Eerie and on the way stopped in and saw Vince (‘Fatfingers’) and Mark (Cuttem Jack), who lived nearby. Vince took me fishing, on another beautiful lake for a day (Silver Lake I think), I had a great time, talking, building, coatings, paints etc, this guy is an encyclopedia of lures, I can’t believe how many different shapes/styles he makes- I came away a few pounds heavier with all the paint flakes, plastic and lures he gave me for future experiments, thanks again for your time and knowledge Vince – no fish here either. As with every other day I fished with Gene in Tennessee, and all the guys on ‘the pond’, fishing is only part of the fun, being there was a privilege. Also, the ladies at the Clinton-Hampton Inn, looked after both Phil and I, like were their kin, this was great place to stay. Thank you all, you made an old man, very happy. Pete

Edited by hazmail

That cap and ball pistol I showed you at the meet was plowed up near the river and east of Lexington. I would have liked to take you around and showed you some of the spots around that area, however, circumstances didn't allow it. Glad to see you had the opportunity to visit those towns. If you make it here again, I will show you some spots not found on the travel guides and we will drink some of that swill too!

Dan

Edited by KcDano

KC- I was just driving home and for some reason I recalled 'That cap and ball pistol', you had, and how much rust was on it- Have you ever used the molasses trick to remove rust/dirt off steel tools etc. I have done a fair bit with old woodworking tools, planes, spokeshaves etc and they come up pretty good? Just wondering!! pete

Pete, no that is the first I have heard of using molasses for rust removal. That pistol has plenty of rust no doubt, most likely more so than steel. I think if I removed the rust it would be in pieces. I'm always in need of something to remove rust, though. I will try the molasses solution on some old lure hardware. On occasion, I use muratic acid it is cheap and goes a long way, quick acting too. However, not so good for your well being.

Thanks!

Edited by KcDano

Pete,

Any ideas for how to move Australia into the Gulf of Mexico??? We could be neighbors!!!! I guess it's goofy thought, but, it would rally cut down on the travel time to next years meet.

Who knows, maybe we can brainstorm an idea that actually would work... Probably won't, but, you never know.

Bruce - we could 'brainstorm this - How about we stick that nice U.S West Coast curve into the Great Australian Bight, we could all walk then. The way petrol (Gas) is going, we may have to. I miscalculated when I was there (your little gallon), it's only $6.08 a gallon here now*** (about $1.60/litre). pete

Hi Dave- Yes, they keep telling us we have some of the cheapest petrol around, but nobody believes them. My theory is, you have to have it , no matter what it costs, so not much point in #####ing about it, I'm sure the oil companies aren't listening. pete