miles

wiffle vs. deep spool/spool weight

I saw a thread somewhere about spool weight and how different spool weights handle certain baits better than others. im using a deep spool for my crankbaits and I dont know if that is the right option. Deep spools are good for long casts because of the line capacity, but when your using 10 lb test, you dont need all that line on the spool. Would it be a better option to switch it out with a wiffle spool?

And what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type of spool? Thanks!

The advantage comes from lower startup inertia, and the most noticeable differences come generally in applications such as pitching and flipping where you are not imparting a lot of energy to the lure to make the cast. A wiffle spool generally is not only lighter in and of itself, but holds less line, further reducing the weight of the spool/line assembly. It's all about Newton's first law, an object at rest tends to stay it rest. The greater the mass of the object at rest, the greater the energy necessary to overcome the inertia.

So you are throwing crank baits; a wiffle spool would make sense with smaller, lighter baits because you will get a bit more distance with the lighter weight of the spool bringing the spool up to speed more quickly. If you are throwing larger, heavier baits I doubt you would see a major improvement in distances, but I imagine there would be some. Also, if you have the brakes cranked up and the spool tension loaded up, I think the differences between the different spool types would be negligible.

When casting baits over about 1/4 oz. I see little difference in performance. A high capacity wiffle spool, such as that on the Pflueger Trion, would be my choice for throwing those heavy lures as it has a lot of inertia by moving a lot of line further from the axis of rotation. When it comes to casting light lures UNLESS the spool is made of magnesium, I prefer to use a small deep spool such as that on say a Shimano Citica 100. The magnesium wiffle spools offer an advantage because they are signicantly lighter than the aluminum spools and can achieve the same amount of inertia by moving the line further from the axis of rotation, thus sending off more line per revolution giving longer casts.

The rule of thumb is higher inertia spool for heavier lures, and a lower inertia spool for lighter lures.

If any of my explanations are unclear, let me know and I will try to clear them up.

Joe

You pretty much summed it up (although a lighter shallow wiffle spool is always better for pitching and flipping even with heavier lures, and I would say sub 1/2oz, not sub 1/4oz as the weight I would switch from one type to the other).

You can throw heavier lures on a shallower wiffle spool, but you won't see much benefit AND it will be "hotter" and easier to backlash. Also, if you are using a shallow spool and get hit on the end of a very long cast with a heavy bait and the fish takes a run, you run the risk of getting spooled.

You can throw light baits on a deep solid spool, but your distance will suck.

okay cool. i am starting to get into cranking a lot and i am using the BPS david fritts reel. It has a deep, solid spool so it would be perfect for using with dd22 or dt16 ect.. since it is a BPS reel and almost all spools on their reels are interchangable, i can switch out the deep solid spool with a shallow wiffle spool since I use only BPS reels. I appreciate everyones input! Thanks!