Tacklejunky

I made these! lol

Whats up folks,

Started carving up crankbaits the other day with no idea what I was doing.

Made these two baits from balsa. Caught one on the crankbait before it "melted" and got a hit on the topwater walker but it's already losing paint from the hooks after one trip.

The crank has recessed "googley" eyes, weight, a monster bill, home tied feather trebles and internal rattles. It dove about 1-2 feet depending on the rod tip hight, but got soggy and started running sideways.

The topwater walker is just a scaled down rapala skitterwalk with internal rattles, rearward weight for nose up presentation and dog walkin' and home tied feather treble. It still works but it's losing paint fast from "jerkin" it with the hooks chewing it up. It requires a super fast repetitive twitch to get the dog walking action going.

Making a few more lures now. I'll throw them up when I'm done.

Actually did some searching this time and learned more about waterproofing for the new baits I'm making.

Seen some great work on this site! Hopefully I can contribute something half as nice one of these days.

Here's my two junk baits..

homemadehardbaits.jpg

Edited by Tacklejunky

They look great, especially for your first lures.

Try "T"ing your trebles to cut down on hook rash.

"T"ing? I'd assume that means blocking the trebble from hitting the bait in some way? Either that or bending it?

Thanks for any input you can provide :wink:

The first crankbait (blue one) is already retired. One fish on it though, so not doing bad! I have a second crankbait blank cut up the same shape and the lip glue is drying now. Just need some epoxy and to rig up a drying motor. I plan on replacing most of the store bought hardbaits in my box with home made lures once I get the hang of this..

Can't wait to get this one sealed up good and tight so I can go on to my first hardwood dowel topwater popper on my mini lathe!

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Edited by Tacklejunky

I'm using a Badger Anthem 155 airbrush.

Is this any good or should I get something nicer? I'm basically using it like a rattle can because I don't know how to do fine lines and all that with it.

This brush has proven it's worth in multiple applications, so I'm not against upgrading to one that might work better in the long run. I want to try foil and scale patterns and all that but I figure I'll just keep it simple for now 'till I get them solid.

Thanks for the help. I'll try 1/4oz this time.

I don't have those nice small dia. long screw eyes so I'll have to figure out how to twist up a bottom hanger with weight on it without them.

Oh and I searched up "T"ing. Thanks for the tip. I will do that on the next one =)

Edited by Tacklejunky

My concern is the thickness of the lip material on the very small bodies. Because of the lips relatively large mass compared to the body, it could have a damping affect on the action. Don't change it now, it is just something that you can try and compare on future bodies if you are not satisfied with the action.

Edited by Vodkaman

Doh!

Did some cleaning in the photobucket account and the first image got erased.

Here it is again.

homemadehardbaits.jpg

Off to walmart to pick up some epoxy and get this bait complete!

I'll try a thinner lip next time. I added a good amount of weight already.

I'll make a wakebait with the next one.

Will also look for thinner lip material. I thought it was a bit thick as well..

Here is the bait weighted down..

It weighs 8 grams in this configuration (just over 1/4oz) without hooks or paint!

weightsplugged.jpg

I am under the impression that if I don't add any weight, the bait will float on it's side..

Picked up some chemicals.

epoxy.jpg

Then..

Sanded the bait with 220 grit.

Masked off the bill with scotch tape.

dipped it urethane.

sanded with 220 grit.

dipped it.

sanded with 320 grit.

dipped it.

sanded with 320 grit.

Dipped it a fourth time and let it dry.

You cannot feel a single imperfection on the bait and it is hard as a rock! When painted it should look very smooth. It is undoubtedly waterproof at the moment..

Just have to test and tune it then paint! Will have to look up some scale painting tips.

urethane.jpg

Nice! I threw it in the tub and she runs level and waterproof! Nice wide shallow thumping action to it too. Can't really tune it in the tub though. I'll get out fishing tomorrow and tune it then, and come home to paint it.

Found a scale tutorial on this site and wouldn't you know it my GF had some fine mesh fish net stalkings that should be just about perfect.

Custom baits own! This bait is going to last! Thanks for all the help everyone.

I'll post pics when it's completed.

She's waterproof! Took it with me to lake Silverwood on a bassin' mission to test it out.

Swims perfect! Even floats level and will "wake" if I crank it very slowly.

Cranked quick or "burned" it dives 3-4 feet, exactly the depth I was looking for!

I'm painting it tonight! What a killer little lure with some great action!

DSCN0035.jpg

Sitting level on the pause

DSCN0036.jpg

Off topic: did C&R some fish today too! (but not on this bait yet)

DSCN0029.jpg

Edited by Tacklejunky