Sonny.Barile

Compressor noise

How loud are these little desktop tankless compressors that are used for airbrushing? I will be doing my airbrushing in the house at night and noise is an issue. Also, has anyone ever used one of those 5 gallon air storage tanks as a quiet option? I have seen them with shrader valves....Im not sure if they can be hooked up to the airbrush though. Any help would be appreciated................

Most airbrush compressors should hum, I'm a bad judge because I run 60 gal all day, so how loud comparatively?

My airbrush compressor makes more noise vibrating around on the bench, in other words the motor is quieter than the vibration it creates.

Holding tanks work, but a 5 gal wont get you very far, your mileage will vary of course.

Almost silent, a 50hz hum from the transformer only. I am fairly sure that mine has a small tank built in, as it clicks in and out with the pressure. I have not dismantled it yet (for fun).

I cannot tell you the make as I am away from home at the moment.

Edited by Vodkaman

Mine are Badgers and are very quiet .........

BTW ....... you may want to check out Badger's Garage Sale ....... I picked up a good airbrush and a good compressor cheaper than the one you are looking at ......... but that was several months ago and I don't know exactly what they have left ...... but it's worth a look ......

I use a Badger 1/10 hp AB compressor and no, it is not quiet enough to use inside the house. Most of the quiet AB compressors are also expensive. If you have a tool compressor, you can buy a portable air tank and fill it up outside, then use it. Like Spare Tire says, a CO2 tank is ideal since it is silent, dry gas and nontoxic. But of course you have to buy a tank and get it refilled periodically.

I use a Badger 1/10 hp AB compressor and no, it is not quiet enough to use inside the house. Most of the quiet AB compressors are also expensive. If you have a tool compressor, you can buy a portable air tank and fill it up outside, then use it. Like Spare Tire says, a CO2 tank is ideal since it is silent, dry gas and nontoxic. But of course you have to buy a tank and get it refilled periodically.

Mine are Air Star V's and they are very quiet ....... bought 3 of them at the Badger Garage sale for $25 each .......... I think they were for sale less than an hour though ........ haven't checked the prices on the others ...... just telling you what I got ........ might be worth checking it out ......

Yep, those look like diaphragm compressors.

I may be mistaken, but I think these use an electromagnet & rubber diaphragm to pump, rather than the normal cylinder piston pump, which in turn, reduces noise because theres less moving parts.

Wonder what the prices are on those :eek:

Once you get a compressor and if you want to quiet it more build a wooden box to cover it.

I bought my compressor at Walmart and it's loud. I built a wooden box to cover it and lined it with styrofoam, then I bought a computer fan for $3.99 and put it on the back of the box, it cut the noise in half.

You could build a box for $10 or $15.

000_0015.jpg

I got one very similar to the AC100. It is quiet and only runs when you pull the trigger on the brush.

I had the same problem of it vibrating and dancing across my work table while I was painting. I took a scrap piece of carpet the size of the compressor footprint and stapled it to the work surface to act as an insulator and that thing doesn't move one iota anymore. Paid about $80 for it about a year ago on ebay and it has been a real workhorse so far.

Did anyone see that episode of dirty jobs were Mike the host was working with the crew of guys that was useing the spray in insulation inside of walls of new homes This insulation was sprayed from the floor to the ceiling and packed tight and trimmed flush. Were im going with this is , in the show they hade a bucket lined with this stuff and took one of those alarms ,that hurt your ears that women carry for when they need help or to scare off an intruder,and tossed it in. They put a lid on it and you wouldnt believe how much noise it cut down you almost couldnt here it. Cant remember the name of the type of insulation this was, maybe one of you contractors could help,but maybe you could line a box or cabinet with this stuff and make a large kill box for it.

I ended up buying a Badger 250-3 and a small "quiet" compressor. The gun was $33 and the compressor was $130 I got 40% off the compressor ($78). I got them home to find that the hose doesnt fit the compressor. I plugged the compressor in anyway just to hear it. It was really loud. The box said it was "Quiet", so I would hate to hear what they mean by loud. Anyhow, I ended up bringing the compressor back. I picked up a Badger 1/4" adapter. I then hit Home Depot for a quick disconect fitting set. I hooked it up to my 5 gallon air storage tank. I added in the quick disconect so I can change from the airbrush hose back to the schrader valve hose quickly. I have a small portable 12 volt lighter plug compressor in my truck to keep the 5 gallon tank full. The cost of the adapter and the fittings was $8 total. SUPER QUIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!