Husky

Lee Sisson lures.

I missed it, and I really sorry.

I'm in the process of repainting two of his lures whose paint bubbled.

I sure would have liked to know what paint he used. It came off like lacquer, but it was really hard and tough.

I did see some telltale mill marks under the paint, like he'd used a copy lath to make the blanks.

I heard some of his stuff was being bought (I know the buyer) but I didnt know he was selling everything.

I sure would like to see his proprietary carving machines. They were well guarded, I only seen a few cropped photos.

Where did you see this info?

Thanks,

Jerry

Several models of Sisson's cranks are legendary on one of my local lakes...for musky.

To me it is proof that there are baits that are different and highly effective, because no other bass-class crankbait comes close to the Sisson bait as far as the musky are concerned. They eat them so regularly that many of the musky guys use nothing else on that lake.

His baits are proof that building your own, as we all do, can truly have amazing results at times.

What show was this?

It was on the "Christian Angler". I just happened to tune in during the middle of the night, and there it was. (I wish I recorded it as I was watching with "Sleepy Eyes"

His carving machine is a jig cutter. The master is in the middle and 2 cutters, on on either side cut 2 blanks, as they follow the master.

He has a cutting jig made up for lip slots. It works like a mini Chop Saw.

He uses lacquer exclusively and his top coat is urethane.

To seal, he puts a load of blanks in what best could be described as a clothes dryer like contraption, and then tosses in about a Qt of "Sanding Sealer" and lets them spin until dry.

Sold to Worden Yakima Lures

What the deal exactly entails, I'm not sure.

Edited by Husky

Were they slotted before or after being carved? did it show?

After! He placed a carved body into the cutter and pulled down a lever. I couldn't see, but I assume he had a "Positioning Cradle" to hold the lure in place. The cut was perfect!!

The Show was "Angler" with Tony Sellers a the host. The network logo on Comcast says INSPR #113.(The show will get canned as of 5/1 on tha network)

Here's a link to their site. Christiananglertv.com Maybe you can scrounge a tape if you want to give some sort of donation.

http://www.christiananglertv.com/home.html

Edited by Husky

About 90% of the time if there is a dipping operation involved in sealing or bascoating a bait they usually cut slots after carving, sealing and basecoating.

I did see numerous dipping procedures but I don't believe the lip slots were cut yet. The spot that showed the cutting was as aside and only showed how it was done but I don't recall the stage of production, sorry.

Just about all the major lure companies of the past dipped baits in white enamel and performed all the drilling and cutting after primer, painting and clearcoat. As you are most likely aware that dipping a lure with pre-drilled hole and cuts presents numerous problems. Fills the holes, runs out unevenly around a hole or cut out and requires extra effort to clean out prior to hardware and lip installation. What really baffles me is the dumping of sanding sealer in a tumbler, I have never heard of that procedure. They did however, use tumbling with a medium to further finish the bait prior to dipping in sealer, primer or whatever. That for sure is a new one to me. It seems to me the sealer and plugs would become one lump as the sealer dried. However, with out seeing the equipment I can't say for sure, may have been some type of centrifugal operation to quickly seal the baits. Or he might have been using a old sealer can to throw the meduim in the tumbler. Who knows! I sure would have like to see the program though.

Edited by KcDano

Polishing rocks you say! That is the same thing as tumbling with a meduim. It seems to me that if the bodies are removing material by abraiding against each other and absorbing sealer with the removed material held in suspension that the finish would be full of balsa dust. And what keeps them from sticking together as it dries. Not questioning veracity of the method, just would like to hear more about the operation

Edited by KcDano

Those were my same thoughts exactly, but I remember watching a documentary on how jawbreakers & jelly beans are made, (I know, I know)

Anyway, it's done the same way. the centers are quite small & they keep adding liquid ingredients & dry sugar until it builds up a good layer, then add a final wax to make em shine. All done in a stainless mixer that resembles a concrete mixer.

I understand that you can build a coating up by employing that method, I think the real trick would be arriving at the proper amount of sealer to add. I still have my doubts about actually smoothing the lure and sealing at the same time. However, since Mavrick has done this procedure perhaps he will come back and enlighten us some more.

Edited by KcDano

I understand that you can build a coating up by employing that method, I think the real trick would be arriving at the proper amount of sealer to add. I still have my doubts about actually smoothing the lure and sealing at the same time. However, since Mavrick has done this procedure perhaps he will come back and enlighten us some more.

He seems to have the whole process down to an exact science. While it appeared that he haphazardly tossed in about a Qt. I'm guessing the number of lures and sealer were measured. Too bad no one lives 20 minutes down the road from him, so they could visit and ask.:whistle: