jcb19983

where do i get wood?

I buy poplar dowels and such from Lowes. Lots of people have deals getting scraps from lumber mills, my roommate and I got a bunch of different stuff from a shop teacher. Usually the size wood you need to make lures is way too small for most other things, so people literally will give it away.

Mike

Balsawood is sold in RC-model aircraft supplies .

I some times gather round beechwood for lathe-turning from local bimonthly scrap collections , or I'd go straight to the public scrapyards over here and saw off some stool,-and/or table legs from old furniture , that people have dumped there .

It's for free and the wood has set already for decades , first quality:wink: !

Only have to dry it thoroughly before use , should it have gotten wet outside in the rain .

On fleamarkets I sometimes find kitchen boards for cutting meat or cheese , most likely made of teakwood .

These are almost always very cheap , people probably don't like to buy such second hand , but it is very important , that these must not have been used a lot , since grease and fat , soaked into the wood , would hinder any paintcoats to adhere well to it later .

These boards are about 2/3" to 1" thick , I like using them for flat-bodied jerkbaits and some crankbait models .

I'm in residential construction on lots of high-end houses so I have some access to some sweet leftovers & cut-offs when the finishing carpenters & cabinet makers are doing their thing! So far I've scored about two garbage cans full of 100% clear cedar, fir, & cherry. In larger cities you should also be able to find a few wood shops which specialize exotic woods (expensive though).

I purchase Balsa off the internet. Many places sell it. I don't look for scrap because it doesn't cost that much and I order the density I want to use. It will make your lure building much more predictable.

Paulownia was much harder to find. I did internet searches and made lots of phone calls. Most of the phone calls ended up with someone wanting to sell me trees. Once I found someone with lumber I still have to find a mill or woodworking shop to get it cut and plained into workable sizes. Investment to get a supply cost near $200 That was enough to buy about 40 board/ft. Now that I know where to find it the cost is about $4.25-$5.00 per board/ft. and I can purchase in smaller amounts. Density of Paulownia does not vary near as much as Balsa so I don't have to worry that.

:DWhere do you get wood... hmmm....interesting question....

I was waiting for someone to take that out of context........ Thanks Rook, it was almost me.

Some of the best balsa I've found was from the bottom of a dunnage pallet 4x4 & perfect heartwood.

Most domestic lumber supply houses can readily supply Basswood, Balsa is a little harder to find (unless you wanna pay hobby prices) Exotics like Jelutong & Palownia are even tougher to find. Cedar, Fir, Yellow pine, Aspen, Poplar can be had at all the big box home improvement stores.

Edited by redg8r

I was waiting for someone to take that out of context........ Thanks Rook, it was almost me.

Some of the best balsa I've found was from the bottom of a dunnage pallet 4x4 & perfect heartwood.

Most domestic lumber supply houses can readily supply Basswood, Balsa is a little harder to find (unless you wanna pay hobby prices) Exotics like Jelutong & Palownia are even tougher to find. Cedar, Fir, Yellow pine, Aspen, Poplar can be had at all the big box home improvement stores.

I looked up Paulownia online, and, as far as I can tell, it either a species of poplar or closely related. There's a wholesaler out hear in SoCal near Lake Casitas in Oak View. I emailed him to see if he sells to the public, but haven't heard back.

I get oak and hickory planks (approx. 3/4") from the pallets used to ship equipment to the facility I work at. I also have plenty of friends living in the burbs that tend to stockpile all sorts of odd hardwood planks for the woodstoves and fire places. I have some thin trunk pieces (about 6") from some young ash trees a friend cleared on his land a couple of years ago. I waxed the ends and have them sitting in my furnace room drying out. I have a nice stock pile going..........

I've gotten paulownia here: Custom Millwork, Historical Reproductions, Natural Edge Slabs, Kiln Dried Hardwoods, 3",4", 5" Wide Flooring, Basswood for Carvers from Full Cycle Woodworks.

It's one of a very few places online that aren't just selling paulownia trees. Kiln dried and cut to order. BTW, like most woods, paulownia density can vary greatly. An earlier batch I got from another source was MUCH harder and more dense (33% heavier). That's not necessarily bad but you should discuss density with the seller to get what you need.

There are multiple sources for basswood and balsa. In buying balsa, I recommend you order "Hard Balsa". "Competition" or light balsa is meant for model airplanes and is very light and soft, requiring heavy reinforcement for crankbaits. I know - I've been working through a box of competition balsa for 2 years and am looking forward to it being GONE.