RBASS57

rattle can-what kind of paint?

Hello and welcome to TU.

Daymon here and I'm a "Krylon man"! LOL. I've been making lures for about 4 or 5 years now and I've never made the jump to an airbrush. I've painted lures with just about everything you could imagine from rattle cans to water colors to nail polish and wouldn't hesitate to try anything. I do like the Krylon though because their flat white is a great primer base coat to start from and Krylon dries FAST!

Here's a couple lures I've made with various paint styles.

This one was painted entirely with rattle cans and nothing else.

spoonbill007asold20d.jpg?t=1209821294

And here's a couple done with a brush and fingernail polish............

bgminnows1and2.jpg?t=1209822502

So just grab something and start painting, the possibilities are endless. Check out my TU gallery pics, everything you see there is either rattle cans or brush or a combination of the two.

Have fun and post some pics of your work.

daymon

newbie here , want to try a few rattle can lures. what is the best paint to use ? thanks to all-great site

I have had some trouble today with the paint wrinkling up.I do my eyes with a drill bit dipped in the paint,and some today just wrinkled up when applied.For now I just spray in a small container and dip,I am going to get some bottle paint and try that.Hope this helps,because with rattle cans if you mess up one thing the whole thing is junk.No washing it off and starting over....Robert

Hey stonecoal your not the guy I ran into last month on buckhannon river? I with with a guy that makes Musky Mikes Musky baits and we talked about baitmaking for a while. Im sorry Im bad with names If it was you I think you said you took over alot of Odie Cutlips tools when he pasted away. If not I hope to see you up there sometime.

RBASS57,

Krylon is great paint but it's not a requirement that you to use it. I recommend white Krylon primer base coat because it dries fast but as far as colors go, you can use anything. As a general rule: the cheaper it is, the longer it takes to dry. The hardest part about rattle cannin' is the waiting. Auto parts stores have cool & unique metallic colors. Hobby stores, like Michael's, have gold and silver glitter sprays and nice pearl colors. Experiment, play around and have fun with it. That's what this game is all about.

I've yet to find any pearl colors in larger cans. Just the 3 oz sized cans of testors or tamiya which run about 5-6 bucks. I've been using all brands of rattle can paint with success (and Krylon does dry amazingly fast!). House of Kolor also makes high end rattle cans (including kameleon colors)you can find at hobby shops.

I've also used the cheap stuff ($1ish for a large can) without problems. Just need to waaaaiiiiittttt a while longer for it to dry.

Both acrylic and enamel rattle can paint seems to work fine.

Hey Jamie,

It couldn't have been me you met on the Buckhannon, cause I haven't been fishing yet this year :mad::angry::(:cry:. Been flat out busy for me so far this year (see my post in "The Docks").

It sounds like you might have met Nelson Brown. He makes some fine Musky lures and I believe he was the one who ended up with Odie's stuff.

I unfortunately did not get interested in lure making until after Odie passed away so I missed out on his wisdom. However I do have a few of his lures and the last of his stash of poplar wood given to me by his nephew.

I've never really tried to Musky fish on a serious level but maybe I'll run into you sometime when you're up this way and you can teach me.

Later,

daymon

You can mix and match, too. I use Michael's spray glitter over Createx water based paints all the time.

If you want to, you can "recoat" most rattle can paints after a short length of time, so you can build and blend colors relatively quickly. Just be sure to do it outside, or with good ventilation and a solvent respirator mask. The fumes are really bad for you.