deepblack

Bullet Proof Popper Wiring

Hi Guys,

Just after some information on the best/strongest way to build tow points and rear/belly hook hangers into large (up to about 10") lathe turned poppers. These poppers will be used for Giant Trevally ect. and as they grow to about 50kg pretty close to where I live the construction method needs to be fool proof. I was looking at drilling a centre hole all the way through for the tow and rear hooks and 90* angled holes to the centre line with wire loops or strong swivels threaded onto the main centre wire for the belly hook and pack the whole lot with epoxy. The only sticking point I've come across is how on earth do I terminate the rear hook loop properly using this method? If anyone has the answer to this or an alternative I would really like to hear about it as the trevally are really starting to hurt my bank balance with a good popper over here going for anything up to US$50.

Cheers,

John.

John, First of all welcome to Tackle Underground! Glad ya found the site. As for an answer to your question here is my solution since I have a tendancy to over build everything and dont trust screw eyes. Why I dont trust them, I dont know. I have never yet had one break or pull out. But I just like to do through wire construction if at all possible. First I start by gluing my blank together with a piece of construction paper sandwiched between the halves so the lure can be split straight down the center after it has been turned. (The paper keeps the glue from bonding the wood permanently yet is strong enough to hold together on the lathe to turn it).Once split into two halves all groves for the wire, rattles, weight, hook hangers or anything else you feel the need to add can be placed in the wood. Then all your conections can be made and fastened. When you have the conections together and in place your ready to glue the lure together permanently.

Edited by MTfishingrods

MT,

Thanks for your reply, the method you have described makes perfect sense and will enable me to make ultra strong through wire connecions, thanks for your help, I went and purchased a lathe and drill press today so I can't wait to have a crack at it, what sort of glue are you using to bond the construction paper? And am I correct in assuming that you sand or cut the construction paper away prior to final glueing? More questions I know but I want to get this right as the fish around here are tough critics....

Cheers,

John.

I use wood glue. And yes just touch the blank lightly to a belt sander or whatever you have to remove the majority of the remaining paper to get a good solid bond when gluing for the final process. Its not necesary to remove every little trace of it so dont over sand it and mess up the matching of the two halves. It will be solid even with a trace of the paper left, but do try and remove what you can. Between the wood glue and the epoxy top coat you should have plenty of stength. Glad I could be of some help. Tommorow there should be more people on here that do more lathe work than I do so maybe someone will have better ideas or an easier way. But it looks like its just me in the middle of the night tonight.:lol:Good luck Deep Black and be sure to post some results as you get them.

In this case, I drill from the nose to the belly. I complete the rest of the fit with a belly slot to the tail, cut with a dremel. This allows the hanger to be pulled out of the slot and formed. The wire is held in the slot with a few drops of instant glue, prior to epoxy.

A split body solution, as described above is a superior solution, this is just another option for you.

@ MTfishingrods

Sorry to interfere , but what exactly is "construction paper" and in which kind of sources I can obtain it ?

That question may seem a little dump to you , but English is not my motherlanguage , and I couldn't find an exact translation for it :huh:.

I ever intended to furnish lureblanks in that way , that you've described , but I never thought of a safe method to get the two parts together for turning .

Only idea , that I have , is to screw them together on either end , but this would be quite unsafe , as the blank would get thinner whilst turning and the whole thing might brake up and hurt me , so I left it up to now .

Therefore I find your method very ingenious , and I would be glad , if you could provide the requested information:worship: .

Greetings , diemai

Edited by diemai
Double question refering to other post

Construction paper is avaliable pretty much every where here in the states. Im not sure how to describe it other than it is thick paper and comes in various colors. Kids use it a lot in school for different projects. It does sound like it would break up, but you would be surprised how strong it is. It takes a pretty good rap with a hammer and chissel to separate the two halves. I was taught this method years ago in highschool woodshop for making exact duplicate halves of turned products. Made shelves and such for my parents. So I just took it and used that in my lure building. Here is a link to a description of what the paper is exactly. Construction paper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I am sure that it is available to you somewhere. If you have kids, ask them.

@ MTfishingrods

Thank you very much for your rapid reply and also the wikipedia link .

Immediately when I read your explanantion about kids/school/projects , the German word for it just flashed into my mind , by viewing the picture in the link I even knew immediately , in which corner of a local shop I can find it:wink: !

And I was thinking about a special technical device:(:(:( !

So , THANKS A LOT , I now have another new lure project ahead !

Greetz , diemai

MT,

Thanks for your reply, the method you have described makes perfect sense and will enable me to make ultra strong through wire connecions, thanks for your help, I went and purchased a lathe and drill press today so I can't wait to have a crack at it, what sort of glue are you using to bond the construction paper? And am I correct in assuming that you sand or cut the construction paper away prior to final glueing? More questions I know but I want to get this right as the fish around here are tough critics....

Cheers,

John.

John,

Welcome to Tackleunderground.com. One of your countrymen, Pete (hasmail) put together a great tutorial on through wire construction. If you are planning to put a bill in your lures, you may want to review his tutorial on compound bending Lexan. One thing you may want to do is see if the lures you're planning to make can make use of jigs for getting common tasks done.

Several of us had a chance to meet Pete at the TU Meet in Clinton, MO and he is a talented, creative fellow, who really seems to enjoy both building lures and using them. Good luck