bassn1

need some advice

I just got an order for 100 foamie's (top waters). The problem I have is the hook hangers and line ties. I make mine from twisted .41 or .35 ss wire. Has anyone had experience using regular screw eyes in a foam bait? I'm worried about the holding power. I'd have to use a screw thats only 3/8-1/2 long. I really don't want to have to make 300 of those things.

I have fished some foam lures before. never made them but I know these lures were epoxied in.. the screw eyes were.. I never had a problem with them.. I know through wire is better.. .. but best way to test it would be to epoxy the screw eyes in... Hook the lure to a car bumper... tie 50 pound line on it... then tie the 50 to your truck and pull... see which breaks first.. my guess is the hook will bend first... JUST DONT SAY "HEY YALL WATCH THIS!! before start your truck" Famous last words of all rednecks!!!...Im betting screw eye will not come out and the hook bends!!! but im just a rook..and this is about as scientific as I get! .. Heck let me know how it works out I have always wanted to try it but I dont have a truck that starts.. all mine are on blocks!... this could be a good subject for Myth BUSTERS!!! Through wire vs Screw EYE!!!

Good Luck

The Rookie

A through wire harness is easier to make than mixing epoxy for the screw eyes. Look at the ones Husky showed photos of in the thread pouring foam molds. It can even be easier than that one. The harnesses I make take about 15-20 seconds each and they have 4 more turns than the one in Huskys pics and use a single wire.

I am not sure I would purchase a foam that was made with screw eyes.

This is more like the harness I build.

wwbau007.jpg

Photo is from the German site diemia gave us the link to.

Edited by Palmetto Balsa

A through wire harness is easier to make than mixing epoxy for the screw eyes. Look at the ones Husky showed photos of in the thread pouring foam molds. It can even be easier than that one. The harnesses I make take about 15-20 seconds each and they have 4 more turns than the one in Huskys pics and use a single wire.

I am not sure I would purchase a foam that was made with screw eyes.

This is more like the harness I build.

wwbau007.jpg

Photo is from the German site diemia gave us the link to.

I dont know much about foam but I think I would be more comfotable with a through wire. I fish for musky and maybe thats why I think like that , but I always think about the monster that could have got loose because of faulty craftsmanship or even worse somebody else loosing a fish of a life time.

I think you may need a new approach to getting your through wires twisted up. I took the picture that Husky used to show where I would put screws or pegs to form the wire around. You could save yourself more time if you bought the close looped wire from a supplier. With a little practice, I think you could get the time to under 2 minutes.

thru_wire.jpg

thru_wire.jpg

thru_wire.jpg

thru_wire.jpg

thru_wire.jpg

thru_wire.jpg

thru_wire.jpg

thru_wire.jpg

2978_thumb.attach

Bruce, nice one! Under 2mins or under 15secs?

I agree with Rookie, the thing should be tested, but lose the truck. I use a length of nylon string, tied to a beam and the lure. The rear eye of the lure is tied to a large bucket, the bucket is arranged to be a few inches off the ground, to prevent flooding. Water weighs 1Kg/litre. Add measured water to the bucket until it fails or leave over night.

Vman,

If you want to do this by weight, lets make it respectable and start with a gallon of water and 1 gallon weighs 8.345404 pounds.

Since I think it would me about 2 minutes to build and refine the first few, after that, who knows. If I were to use my safety wire pliers, 15 seconds would allow for 3 or 4 to be built.

By the by, my friend, 15 seconds is still under 2 minutes last time I checked... The metric system didn't change that too did it? Just to difficult to razz Pete... only one thing left to do.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Fact checking

This bait is a knock off of a Creek chub mouse. ( no longer in production). It has 2 hooks that hang from the belly and no rear hook. Suport for the thru wire is a problem.On most thru wires the wire is suported on the front an rear keeping the wire centered and suported in the mold. I tried a thru wire on a larger version of this bait and the wire would flop to one side in the mold and some times show on the outside of the lure. Thats why I was leaning towards screw eyes.

This bait is a knock off of a Creek chub mouse. ( no longer in production). It has 2 hooks that hang from the belly and no rear hook. Suport for the thru wire is a problem.On most thru wires the wire is suported on the front an rear keeping the wire centered and suported in the mold. I tried a thru wire on a larger version of this bait and the wire would flop to one side in the mold and some times show on the outside of the lure. Thats why I was leaning towards screw eyes.

You might want to use a very thin piece of solid SS leader wire as a support for your hangers, to keep them positioned. Have it run the length of the plug. After you cast the lures, cut the SS flush and give it a swipe or two with a fine file. Now the hangers have a support that will be invisible.

hookhangers.jpg

You can make up the hangers like the one in the picture in seconds and once they're encased in Foam or UR, they're in for good!

DSCF0001-4.jpg

Edited by Husky

15 to 20 sec... now that I got to see.. Takes me a 2 hours to find my wire in my shop!!! Then another hour to find the wire cutters... the only thing I have ever done in 15 to 20 secs...its make my wife upset!

man Rookie whats your secret on stamina my wife wants to know LOL.

Thanks for the help guys, I started making the mold tonight so I wont get around to pouring until the end of the week. I'll try a few of the tips posted here and see what works best for me. I like the bumper idea Rookie, if the screw eyes hold I can say my crank was "tested Ford tuff"