MR KNOW IT ALL KIND OF

Anyone ever use KILZ on a crankbait?

I ran into a problem last night.. I prime this Lucky Craft CL 55 2 times... and the old paint that I scuffed kept coming through.. I did it the way I have done all the my other repaints.. but this little sucker was a nightmare... I just about got out the kilz paint I use to cover drywall stains.. what you guys think.... I know I could try it rather than post a new thread.. normally that is what I do.. try it and see if it works.. but Im being lazy tonight and thought this could be a interesting subject.. dont know if we have covered it before or not..

The Rookie

Yes I have used kilz on occasion it worked for me(oil base), although a shot of automotive lacquer primer I consider a better option. You might also consider dusting a few light coats on to avoid saturating the finish below with solvent.

Edited by KcDano

Thanks KC!! Its a mess.. I thought it was ok.. then I cleared it.. woke up today to find colors on the lure I never put on the lure!! LOL. Its really funky lookin now.. Im just giving him his money back.. he only paid me 15 bucks. not worth trying to fix..I will send him a free lure and his one of kind paint job.. I couldnt match this color if I painted the same lure 1 million times!!!

Rookie, try some Van Dyke's Translatex Cover White or Polytranspar Super Hide White. They are heavily pigmented white acrylic latex airbrush paints and will cover just about anything in one or two coats. I favor the Translatex Cover White because it adheres great and is durable. You can lightly scrub subsequent coats of color off of Cover White with a sponge and running water without affecting it. I'm leery of oil and solvent based primers because of the odor they can leave on the bait after finishing.