Cuttem Jack

Epoxy in screw Eyes

Okay guys, I'm having problems with epoxy getting on the middle eye screw when epoxying lures. I used a wire in my drill to drill it out, but took a big chunk out of the epoxy on one lure when doing so. Do you have any solution to keep it out while epoxying? I've though of sticking a ziptie in there while putting the epoxy on, but thought there must be an easier way.

If epoxy topcoat should get into a screweye or even cover the biggest part of it , I carefully press it against a rotating drill bit , fixed in my drillpress .

I guess , that on your lure epoxy broke away in a bigger portion , because you used wire for this operation , this doesn't have a cutting edge , so it rather more put pressure on the material instead off cutting through it , thus it broke , I assume .

The bit should be 1/2 to 2/3 the inner diameter of the eyelet , once drilled through , move lure a bit , so that shank of drill bit would scrape off all epoxy inside of the eye .

After I take a sharp carpet knife(the type with interchangeable blades) and carefully cut around the "root " of eye , though not by "pulling" the blade through , but by just carefully pushing it against the eye , this way I eliminate the danger of sliding off the blade , thus damaging the finish .

This way , bit by bit , small epoxy particles break off from the metal , finally I use the blade along the the outer diameter of eye to scrape off the epoxy there .

Work carefully and concentrated , always lead the knife's blade AWAY from the lure , so nothing should happen:wink: !

Greetz , diemai

I'd agree with diemai about drilling a hole in the eye, but I would be tempted to try a small easy-out as a reamer to remove the remainder of the epoxy. While having never tried it in epoxy, it has worked with wood, plastic, and aluminum. I would think the sooner you do it after putting the epoxy on, the better. The longer and harder it cures, the worse it will be to get through.

I use toothpicks or small rolls which I make out of toilet paper (:)) to clean the epoxy out of the eyes immediately after brushing the epoxy on the lure. I will let you know a secret, on condition you do not tell others about it: epoxy can be removed much easier while it has not started to cure.:whistle:

Yep, these guys are right. I would like to add that the drill bit work better if you turn it by hand. It is a slow process but will not damage inside of rings, and this is important if that eye happens to be the line tie. Slow and easy is the way to go. Don't know how large your eyes are but if a round toothpick will fit snuggly place one in each eye while applying epoxy, then remove them when you are finished. Hope this helps.

David

Hi Cuttem

I dont protect the eyes when epoxy coating and when dry I wire brush the eye with a dremmel wire brush. Works for me.

I've seen his work up close and the level of detail is meticulous. From what I've seen and heard, a Dremmel is a pretty standard tool with a lot of tackle makers. Good luck...

When I was tying flys alot I used a cheap hackle and slide it threw the hook eye after cementing the head. This would pull all the glue out of the eye and around the eye so it would not get back it. It would also leave a clean coated eye to attach your line to.

Okay guys, I'm having problems with epoxy getting on the middle eye screw when epoxying lures. I used a wire in my drill to drill it out, but took a big chunk out of the epoxy on one lure when doing so. Do you have any solution to keep it out while epoxying? I've though of sticking a ziptie in there while putting the epoxy on, but thought there must be an easier way.

Putting some greasy coating on the eye part of the screw eye will prevent epoxy from adhering. A small artist brush and Vaseline will let you do that w/o getting oil on the body.:twocents: