bc trout boi

What kind of wood should i use?

What kind of wood should i use to turn some pencil baits on a lathe? they are a gift for a couple of people that have helped me and i would like to use a wood that looks good just sealed...no stain, no paint! These are purely decorative baits. I am planning to add a special hook that i make, and burn the eyes on, as well as burning in small details like gills etc. But for the most part just plain wood? Is there a wood that fits my idea?

Hello BC Trout, Just a silly question on my part... If the baits will not be used, why would you choose a plug-related type of wood? You could simply go with woods that come out nice as is, like cherry, yellow birch, red cedar, bloodwood, tigerwood and others. Add some tung oil for a finish, and you get a really sexy decoration! Pat

Yup I'd say if the baits are purely decorative, any wood will work.

I see you mentioned earlier that you would prefer the wood "doweled" to save labor, Maple, various Pines, & Poplar are usually available in dowel stock.

Also, try Googling some "pen blank suppliers" for some really cool exotics & engineered blanks.

for purely decorative work-curly cherry birch or maple are beautiful (cherry is my favorite), birdseye maple, kingwood, zebrawood, canarywood, almost any burl has lots of figure (cherry, maple, walnut), tulipwood, rosewood, olive

less to no figuring but nice colors-purpleheart, padauk, yellow heart, bloodwood, walnut,