CL Rods

help on painting bluegill or redear or sunfish

:( OK, I am color blind (deficient) on red, green and blue. :cry:

I am getting tired of my wife and kids laughing at my attempts to duplicate these real fish colors. So I would really like to know what colors you use and or combine to mimic the real thing. All the photos in the world don't help me because what I see isn't what it really is.

I have been using Createx and Auto-Air colors. I don't have a ton but I have some opaques, transparent, and pearls, and I am willing to get what it takes to do the job. I would prefer to stick with acrylics, but I am open to suggestions. I have a little glitter from the hobby shops but I can always take it and see if it matches the suggestions.

I am tired of painting shad colors and the basics and want to practice with the striping patterns for these fish etc.

So thanks in advance!

I use Createx colors:

David's Bluegill...

Base White Krylon Primer

Mix of Pearlized Gold and Dark Brown Shoulders 1:3 ratio (1/2 the bait)

(leave cheeks white)

Scale Pearlized Gold on entire sides

Use Brown/Gold mix to do stripes

Use Brown/Gold mix to do back & Eye Sockets

Dust back and sides with Aqua/Pearl Plum mix 1:2 ratio

Shoot tops of cheeks with Aqua/Plum

Sunrise Yellow Belly and lower cheeks

Orange throat and lower cheeks

Scale Plum over back slightly

Clear

Done

I thin all of my pearls with water too by the way...

Hope this helps.

I am color blind as well. Just to give the color seeing people a little understanding of what we see, here it goes.

Some reds get mixed up with browns and browns get blurred with greens. (gator might see colors a different way than I do) Then some purples and blues look the same if they are in the mid to darker ranges. Darker rich pinks get blurred with lighter purples. Yellow and chartreuse look the exact same. It is all about the shades of colors for me. I have seen bill boards or bumper stickers with a black back ground and bold red letters that I can't even read. Getting dressed isn't too difficult just because you memorize what you can ware together. I was buying paint the other day and had to ask the clerk if the primer I had was gray, green, or light brown (that sucks). Colors don't all look the same or like different shades of gray but it is just hard to tell them apart.

Gator,

I think the fish are color blind also. Just paint up a few with the patterns the way you see them and fish it. The fish and people might like the way you see them. It might turn out to be an advantage to you and you will have your own style.

Palmetto Balsa,

That was perhaps the best explanation I've ever read on color blindness. There will always be things some folks just take for granted that others would treasure. The red over black thing makes me wounder if there any hazard signs out there that you may not be able to read? It would also explain the a few folks driving abilities... And here I thought it was multi-task overload (trying to drive and talk on a cell phone at the same time).

Gator,

If you ever need someone to map the colors to a sketch, let one of us know. I don't paint, but I can help you by telling you the color and where it goes.

Guys,

I feel bad, I never even considered trying to "match the hatch" if you were colorblind. Perhaps it might help you pick up on light/dark contrast better (which I feel is more important than hue). Anyway, I did a quick search, and found these programs. I'm sorry, but I've no idea if they are good:

WhatColor Download by Nakahara-Hikaru Shareware - Colorblind, Colourblind, Color-blind.

If you could find rgb hue values, or better yet cmyk values, you may want to consider etac airbrush paints, as it is based on the cmyk values/recipies.

Bruce: Perhaps the bad driving is from the cheese sliding down over their eyes....

Clemmy

Color blind folk, take heart.

Aaron Martens, of BASS fame, is color blind. And he does okay for himself.

He and his mother, Carol Martens, were members of the Castaic Bass Club when he was younger, and she still comes to talk to us once or twice a year.

So you shouldn't feel alone.

Carol said he matches shades, and trys for contrast. If you look at the Roboworm color Aaron's Magic, you'll see it has contrasts between greens, browns, and reds. He thinks the contrast catches the attention of the bass, more than specific color.

Gator I would love to see your paint jobs. I think you might have a good thing going. We might appreciate your art. I hope this dosn't sound bad. I can still fill your pain and think we all have our weaknesses and try to make the best of them. The help given looks good. I wish you luck.

Got an even better idea. Next time your wife and kids laugh at your attempts. Go wash their clothes, a nice red shirt with all their underwear.

Tell em everytime they laugh, you wash clothes.

Besides your a guy and colorblind, we don't know what "seperate colors" means lol:wink:

My wife banned me from the wash room right after we got married.....

worked like a charm :lol:

hey 76 gator go to Fish Carving - The largest online resource for fish carving instructionals and fish carving classes by Ed Walicki. . you will see a selection of options to select down the left side of your screen, select painting cds. scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a step by step free instructions

Edited by jamie

I use Createx colors:

David's Bluegill...

Base White Krylon Primer

Mix of Pearlized Gold and Dark Brown Shoulders 1:3 ratio (1/2 the bait)

(leave cheeks white)

Scale Pearlized Gold on entire sides

Use Brown/Gold mix to do stripes

Use Brown/Gold mix to do back & Eye Sockets

Dust back and sides with Aqua/Pearl Plum mix 1:2 ratio

Shoot tops of cheeks with Aqua/Plum

Sunrise Yellow Belly and lower cheeks

Orange throat and lower cheeks

Scale Plum over back slightly

Clear

Done

I thin all of my pearls with water too by the way...

Hope this helps.

6 Feet Deep, do you have a picture of this bluegill ?

6 Feet Deep, do you have a picture of this bluegill ?

I always do a little something different or off recipe, but here's the jist of it.

Go to the gallery and search for 6 under "#", it's labeled "Third Attempt" because those baits were from my third session of painting those colors.

Edited by 6_feet_deep