b75nweav

Mosquito's are back!

I'm going to post a pic soon of a bait I coated last night. Wasn't on the drying rack 1hr when I came in to check on it, it was covered in mosquitos. I wonder if I could call them fish attractant and jack up the price. Not sure where there getting in at, I had my spray room closed up, but they just cant resist that devcon! PS. 100+ here in florida, any of you guys way up north want to trade paintjobs for some cold weather!

We have some so big they have ticks on them! lol. Weather on the News always gives me a laugh. 'It's going to be another beautiful day today' There frigin' crazy. I guess if your in the AC looking out the window its a great day, but when you work in a manufacturing plant and paint in a room with no AC you think your in Hell!

Man the skeeters can get bad here to but nothing like you guys in the north . I never forget my first fishing trip to canada. On the way up to North bay I would see kids playing in the yards with full bug suits on and I was thinking why, until I stepped out of the truck and the swarm attacked. As far as the skeeter bait you might get lucky and and light sand them out.

There must be some smells or vapors , that attracts these little beasts a lot , maybe , that topcoat is one of these ?

At my work(metal industry facility) we keep all doors and gates open in the warm season for fresh air , you can see these mosquitos by the hundreds sticking dead on the outer casings of the grinding machines , but only at places , where coolant oil leaks out and sets to a thin layer on the machines outside .

For some reason they must like this stuff , I even considered to fill a bowl of that coolant and take it to night fishing(no lures , but sinker and float set-up):wink: , just to place it next to my chair , maybe then they would not bug me but all drown in that bowl:angry::angry: !

But on the waters edge I won't like to be reminded of that stinking work , so I left it so far .

Yeah but those Florida skeeters are relentless; they take on a t-shirt like it's a challenge. I had to leave feeding snook in an Everglades back-country creek, one cloudy day because of them--I had skeeter dope on every inch of exposed skin except my eyelids...have you ever had a mosquito bite on your eyelid? I know of no misery to really compare it to!

Dean

Back in '93, my wife and I stripped and repainted our garage door a beatiful gloss white. Sanded and stripped down to bare wood, oil based white primer, caulked all the t&g joints, two coats of high gloss enamel.

The last coat went on in the morning, and then, about mid-day, the Med Fly truck came by, releasing sterile males. You all remember the California Med Fly invasion.

Well, those flies went straight for my new white paint! Something in the enamel said come hither.

My wife and I were sick when we saw a living coating of those little buggers, stuck to our newly finished door.

My wife wanted to get them off right then, but I convinced her to let the paint dry, and then we'd clean them off as best we could without further damaging the paint.

The next morning, a Saturday, I went out first thing to see how the paint was drying, and, lo and behold, there was sweet revenge.

All of the spiders that lived up above my garage door had dropped down, and were feasting on the trapped Med Flies.

I never did try to clean them off. The spiders did it for me.

Summer up here in N. Florida is murder unless you have plenty of deet. If the mosquito's dont carry you off, the sand gnats (no see ums) will.

Worse yet the yellow flies just showed up around here. They are alot like a horse fly but they fly and attack in swarms.

Dont see how the deer and other animals survive 'em around here.

Diemai, Putting attractant beside your fishing chair is like camping beside a wounded zebra on the African plain. The lions are definitely gonna want a snack after they finish the zebra. You're it. A better strategy is to invite along a friend who's allergic to DEET, and then slather it on yourself while he acts as your "sacrifical anode" :)

@ BobP

I'm always with my wife night-fishing , and she always refuses to put on some bug protection lotion , she says , the smell would scare of the eel from the bait , after she's put that worm on the hook with her fingers .

Well , science has proved , that it really does , eel can smell a drop of blood in a lake , but I'm always lucky , she's with me these nights .

I put on protection on my bare skin , and I fish for Zander(like walleye , but gets bigger) , they can't smell that well , so I don't get bitten as much as her and I still catch fish:) .

Take two garlic pills it will come out on your skin. The mosquito's don't like the smell and taste. Thats what most guys I fish with at night take and they leave them alone. Then don,t eat bananas before something in them attracts them to you if you eat one. Their may be some other fruits that do it to.

Back when I was a Scout Master, at one of the district meeting, some camping wizo claimed the over loading your system with vitamin B-12 for about 2 weeks before summer keeps mosquitoes away for about 70% of the population. Five or six of us actually tried this I didn't need any Cutters that summer. The only guy it didn't work for was a royal pain on "seat" and it was funny listening to him at leaders fire as the only one in our group going "Slap! Slap - slap."

I've also heard about the garlic, but I thought that was more for ticks. But, leeches are the worse and warm swampy areas always seem thick with them ~ I hate nasty blood suckers!

The person that told me about the garlic was one of thoes collage types. She said her doctor friend told her that. She said it was for ticks, chiggers, mosguito's and some other things. Then a guy she knew a pro fisherman said he took them before fishing. I think he took'em because he would rub his bait to get the garlic flavor on the soft baits faster(LOL). Really she said he took them to keep mosquitos off. I think I am going to try it I had gotton minanjites(not speiled right like west nile)three years ago from fishing a lake that was over run with them. It was the only lake I had been fish from the begging of the yesr till I got sick.