Big Splash

Tested a new lure today... YES!!

I've been makin lures all winter, but no open water to test them untill last week.

I made a new lure, kind of a cross between a lead jigging spoon, and a surf caster's 'tin squid'. Kind of a lead 'Johnson silver minnow' with a single hook cast in, point up. Took the pototypes out to try on the river with a group of guys fishing for Bull Trout. I tied one on my girlfriend's rod and made a test cast. The swimming action was killer!! It wiggles, but will not spin. On the third cast of the morning, (is that cliche` or what?) with a new lure, with a crowd watching I hooked a big one! Almost as fast it came off, but the important part was done!

Everyone wanted to buy one and I only had a few to test out! I sold the ones I had with me, and I could hear comments about the lures' action and cast-ability up and down the river!! I took orders for a dozen more.

I don't have a photo, as this thing is hard to get a good scan on. (I tried) I will try again later.

You are right about that, Nathan. I've been working on a batch today, but I managed to sneek out to the the river for a couple of hours, mostly to do some testing, yup testing , thats it...yeah. I made up some variations of the lure to test, and some are awsome and a few were a bust.

A large Bull trout missed the spoon on the surface twice before hooking up on the third try. Nothing beats a surface take from a large fish!! I could see the fish was photo worthy, (5-6lb) so I called for my girlfriend to come and snap a pic...The fish got instant stage fright and was gone! Oh Well, I'ts only a matter of time...

As a side note, I believe this is the same fish I remember catching and releasing in the same spot last fall, just before ice came. And it is maybe the same one my girlfriend caught in the summer. CATCH AND RELEASE AT WORK!!!