Tally

Tally"s Dryer

Thanks to everyone for sharing their dryer's and ideas. This is mine. It is not pretty, but it is productive and really that is all that matters to me.

Material:

Motor-Alligator clips-Round Styrofoam-Doll Rod-Wood Skewers-Devcon 2-Ton-2 nuts and bolts-welding knowledge-scrap iron.

Room for eight baits and the nice thing is if I ever need more, all I have to do is add another piece of styrofoam.

Tally

tallys_dryer.jpg

tallys_dryer.jpg

tallys_dryer.jpg

tallys_dryer.jpg

tallys_dryer.jpg

tallys_dryer.jpg

tallys_dryer.jpg

tallys_dryer.jpg

289_thumb.attach

Good simple, serviceable dryer. Mine is very similiar, except I used sections of pool noodle about ten inches long (3 of them) for the wheel, and a cardboard box in place of your stand.

I wonder how you keep the shaft from coming out of the motor? I use the friction of the last pool noodle against the box end. I also installed a 'catch bar' to prevent the wheel from falling to the ground, should it ever work itself out.

Thanks guys-

Hey Bigsplash, I ran the dryer for an hour last night and never had any problem with the rod falling out. I used a a grinder to square the ends to fit in the motor. It is a pretty tight fit in the motor, so maybe I won't have that problem. But I do appreciate the warning.

Tally

Caution!!!!

I have re-worked my drying wheel. The styrofoam is a very good dust collector and small pieces of dust or even styrofoam fall into the bait while it is drying. :(

For those of you who do this for a hobby, how many crank baits do you usually turn at one time?

thanks Tally

Tally, normally I cure 4 baits at a time, I could do 8, by the time I

get 4 on the dryer my nerves are shot. I like Devcon, but it

really sucks to coat a bait and put it on the dryer and return to

find the coating has pulled away, leaving a bare spot on

the bait. Some of them I recoat that spot when I do the

next bait and keep it for myself. Your dryer idea is great,

couldn't you spray the styrofoam with Krylon clear and

stop the dust falling off??

Coley

Coley-

I guess I was so aggrevated, I didn't stop and think of that. I didn't really like the aligator clips that much either. I was constantly worrying about the bait falling out. Any way, it is too late now. I will take a picture of my new design and post. It is much easier and more trusting. I set it up to only turn 4 baits but could easily be modified to turn more.

Tally

Tally

One thing that I have done with my alligator clips is drill a small hole at the tip and put a small brad nail in the hole and JB weld over the nail head and some in the mouth of the clip around the nail. When you open the clip now you have the nail that you put through your eyehook stops it form popping out on you and the alligator clip holds it in place. B)

I hope this helps :wink:

-Corey

Here is the re-designed drying wheel for the hobbiest.

material: Large doll rod (kind you hang clothes on), small doll rod, exacto knife (4) #2, nuts(6).

I cut two of the nuts in half to use them for "jam" nuts to position the bait I want it to be on the wheel. I put threads on the exacto handle to thread into the nuts. Everything else is pretty esy to see. The wheel works great and have had no problem with the exacto knife handles holding the baits. I hope you like my new design. Easy and cheap.

Corey, I appreciate the help but me and alligator clips are finished.

Tally

drying_wheel.jpg

drying_wheel.jpg

drying_wheel.jpg

drying_wheel.jpg

drying_wheel.jpg

drying_wheel.jpg

drying_wheel.jpg

drying_wheel.jpg

843_thumb.attach