Tacklejunky

can you recommend an inexpensive compressor?

Been using that expensive "canned air" for my airbrush lately. The stuff you can get at the craft store made by badger. I can get 2-3 baits done before I need to go spend another $12 for a can of air!

Since I've owned this airbrush I've been through 10 or so cans of air over the year I've owned it.

Needless to say I need a more permanent solution. $12 every time I pick up the brush is crazy (might as well go buy a few pre-made baits at that rate!)

So, can anyone recommend a compressor under $100? Is there any that are worth my while for that price? The compressors they sell at the craft shop are like $250!?

In case it helps any, I'm using a badger anthem 155 airbrush.

I have a bicycle pump, so I'm not against getting some sort of rechargeable air canister if it will actually work well.

call Badger ...... they are having a garage sale and they have some compressors on sale ....... I got an incredible deal and bought 3 of them and still paid less than $100 total ....... also check out Harbor Freight they have a couple of them that will di the job ...........

Do a search on the topic for specific brands/models. It's mostly about sustained pressure vs noise. Some have reported good results with specific models of inexpensive imported airbrush compressors. But watch out for cheap imported compressors advertising 30 psi. They usually have sustained pressure of about 15 psi after you pull the airbrush trigger - very marginal as most guys want at least 30 psi sustained. Others use (and like) a larger tool compressor with an integral storage tank. They are often cheaper than airbrush compressors, louder, but develop lots of pressure (not a problem if you add a pressure regulator). Either option offers units in the sub-$100 range.

Just bought the 30psi one from harbor freight. IT was on sale in the store for $44.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Hopefully this will do the trick! I didn't see your (bob's) post before I left! If it doesn't work out I'll let you guys know and return it. As long as it'll shoot paint without having to buy air cans, I'll be happy :) (click link above to see model)

Look for an update soon! Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Tacklejunky

It's working!

This is the one I have now. Harbor freight 3 gal, $60. Click link below to see it.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Built in regulator. Running airhose off a 1/4" adaptor. Works great! Just applied a coat of some very thick opaque white createx paint no problems.

I set the regulator to 50lbs, and it drops to about 42lbs when I start spraying.

( I can set the regulator to 100psi if needed)

The compressor turns on and off automatically, but it's somewhat loud. (not a problem for me).

Hope someone finds this useful. this seems to be a great solution for less than my budget range. Please note: If anyone gets one of these, you will need a 1/4" to 1/4" male to male adapter and a 1/4" female to male airbrush hose adaptor. (an extra $4)

Edited by Tacklejunky

That looks like a Harbor Freight airbrush in the picture. I bought one similar but have issues getting it to pick up 30% thinned acrylic paint from the bottle. It is OK from the cup. I was running at 30 psi.

I bought a Paasche single action on sale at Hobby Town. It seems to work better at 30psi but stops altogether at 40psi.

Has anyone else used these units? Can you give me any suggetions?

That looks like a Harbor Freight airbrush in the picture. I bought one similar but have issues getting it to pick up 30% thinned acrylic paint from the bottle. It is OK from the cup. I was running at 30 psi.

I bought a Paasche single action on sale at Hobby Town. It seems to work better at 30psi but stops altogether at 40psi.

Has anyone else used these units? Can you give me any suggetions?

I don't think I can be of any help there.

I don't know ANYTHING about these airbrush things.

I bought this Badger Anthem 155 airbrush on sale at Michaels craft shop last year for about $60-80 on sale or something like that.

I bought it for painting remote control helicopter canopies, but it's come in handy for many things since.

One thing I would like to know is what kind of airbrush I need for super fine detailing. Or if that can be achieved with my badger 155..

I just use the airbrush like a rattle can, but sometimes I'll use some finger control and do some light detailing. It's a blast to go to town on a piece of paper and see what you can really do with it. But doing so seems to make me think I need another brush for fine detailing.

Edited by Tacklejunky

WBF, Hmm - If your compressor runs at 30 psi SUSTAINED, it should shoot unthinned acrylic airbrush paints OK. Now, if you're shooting hobby acrylics, maybe you need to thin them some more. If your compressor is running only 15 psi sustained, you'll need to thin everything more. The basic "rule of thumb" is you want your paint to be thinned to the consistency of milk.

Edited by BobP

WBF, Hmm - If your compressor runs at 30 psi SUSTAINED, it should shoot unthinned acrylic airbrush paints OK. Now, if you're shooting hobby acrylics, maybe you need to thin them some more. If your compressor is running only 15 psi sustained, you'll need to thin everything more. The basic "rule of thumb" is you want your paint to be thinned to the consistency of milk.

I tinkered around with the air pressure and the Paasche's flow rate and got a very good spray pattern. I have the 'hobby' acrylic thinned by the mfg's recommendation, which is about the consistency of milk as suggested. When the airbrush is off, the compressor is stable at 30 psi and it drops to 23 psi when spraying.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Edited by WannabeeFishing