carolinamike

Trout & Redfish colors

Does anyone out there in TU land know anything much about redfish and trout fishing? I have someone interested in some baits for these species, but living in western NC, I'm not sure which are good colors. You guys did such a great job helping me out when we asked about favorite colors across the US. We did end up doing, by the way, a field test for North American Fishing Club. We sent out green pumpkin, watermelon, green pumpkin/green shine, pearl white black flake, and arctic blue. The arctic blue is a real light clear blue with a small amount of highlight, some hologram and blue flake, and it made a great looking bait. I'd appreciate any help on this one, I'm stuck in fresh water.

Thanks,

I am not sure if this well help with me being in a sea of cornfields. I have watched some redfishing on tv and they were using firetiger Rapalas. The used a few soft plastics they were firetiger, shrimp darker orange with light light brown on them. I think their almost like bass colors it seems. Some of the colors seem to almost be clear with a hint of color or clear with a colored dot on the head like red or chartreuse. I hope that helps a little. I am sure somebody that fishes them will say I am wrong. Thats what I seen on tv though. I haven't upgraded to HD yet so I could be off.

A few of my buddies fish reds at Corpus and Matagorda. I called one of them and he says... Flukes and shrimp in chart/white, red/chart, dark watermelon and green pumpkin w/chart, pumpkin/chart and "electric chicken" (chart/bubblegum). The chart can be pearl or transparent with silver or holo flake. Red and white, white and silver (white over clear w/silver flake). Pretty much any color we use for bass fishing he could add a chart tail and catch reds.

Edited by MDC

Here are some colors from Louisiana.

Top: Mostly for Trout/ Pearl and Clear Salt & Pepper

Middle: For Redfish/ Rootbeer, Black back, Gold flake/ Chartreuse tail

Bottom: For Redfish/ Avocado, Red Flake/Chartreuse tail

These worked well for us. The water was slightly stained most of the time.

As usual the darker the water is the darker the plastics I would use.

S7302046.jpg

S7302046.jpg

S7302046.jpg

S7302046.jpg

S7302046.jpg

S7302046.jpg

S7302046.jpg

S7302046.jpg

3017_thumb.attach

Mike: 95% of all of my fishing is done on the LA coast for trout and reds. Here are some of our most popular:

1. LSU (purple (like junebug) with a chartreuse tail

2. Glow or pearl with a chartruese tail

3. Smoke

4. Pink Champagne

5. Blue moon

The last two are more of a shrimp color. Please let me know if you have any questions. Saint.

Oops

Reds in clear water -- clear/gold glitter -- paddle tails or sticks

Trout -- clear/gold glitter -- shrimp or sticks

Stained water

Reds -- dark green/silver or gold gliter

Trout -- black over dark red

I fish the Tampa area for reds and trout.

Someone mentioned water clarity.. good point so I'll give colors for each.

Reds -- clear water

Thanks guys. We really do appreciate it very much! I'm working on putting together a color chart for redfish and trout now and considering that I'm 200 miles away from the ocean and never targeted either one of these species, although I did catch 3 or 4 trout off the pier one time at the beach, so I was really in the dark. Sounds like everything's going to need bright flashy colors or either a chartreuse tail. But there is one other thing I am wondering about. Is the plastic that I use for my bass baits sufficient for saltwater? I was thinking that it would be considering you are not fishing the open ocean. Again, we thank you so much, this website never lets us down. It's guys like you that make TU such a great organization.

Mike: I am in the process of testing my bass swimbaits for trout and reds. Unfortunately, because of the coming baby I am not able to get to the coast as much as I used to. I have sent some swims to a bud who is going to test them for me. I will let you know as soon as I here something. Saint.

I have fished Just South La all my life, and I voted for Regan on his first run for the White House LOL

I am a firm beleiver in colors, changes of colors , even slight color differances will make a differance. I know this from the countless hrs fishn here, trial and error ect. But the colors reds/specks bite on from one place to another change, in 100 miles might be completly differant color scheme. I have fished clean water here, at times could see 7' deep, to times where you can't even see your hand on top of the water and caught fish with plastics. Our normal clarity is about 12" here. I only fish artifical lures. So Mike, you can play with colors that were mentioned here and they all could work, just depends on what the fish want where

Also, colors change on yearly basis. You might catch bou'cou' fish on one color this year, and might not do well for 4,5,6 years then it will be excellent again.

Edited by Kajan

One color that sems to be used every where is "Texas Chicken" Trouts & Reds ...And I am hear to tell you Kajan is saying it right about LA colors ... the guys I worked with from NO area sold colors that we in FL never thought of using ... but in those water colors change a lot I can ce from where he is comin from ... Thanx Kajan for gettin that strit for me as thos boys could not tell me why .... and one u mit no Nolan M. ?? He fished a lot of the Bass Tournaments down toward "The End Of The Road" and knows them marshes like the back of his hand.

JSC