Boskabouter

Working on my first plug.

Currently I'm working on my first plug.

I cut out the shape, sanded it, installed the hardware, epoxied in the lip and weighted it.

I just took it to the water to test it and I'm quite satisfied.

Next comes painting and clearcoating and it will be ready to meet teeth.

I made a small clip of the test, however the quality isn't too good I guess you will get the picture.

Grtz Paul

Holland

YouTube - Plugtest

Foto-YWZUJBFT.jpg

Thanks guys for the thumbs up.

I can't wait myself to get this thing between jaws.

I have to wait till the 31st of may, it's still "closed season" in the Neths!

This big bad boy is about 6.5 inch long and weighs 42gr including the lip but excl the hardware.

It's made out of a piece of maple.

Edited by Boskabouter

Paul,

Looks real nice in the water, cannot wait to see one of your great paint jobs on the bait.

Curious to see the specs on that bait. I have been working on one that is almost identical in shape. One is a glider and I like the action. When I put a bill on the second one I did not get any wiggle at all. I think the bill may be to narrow. Mine is six inches laong and weighs about 3/4 ounce.

My relative in Holland fishes mostly by trolling and throwing lures. I know he fishes pike, but not sure about the zander. What do you think about lure choices. PM me if you prefer.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Edited by KelpKritter

Hi Dave, did you read my pm few weeks ago?

As goes for lures I'm sure your relative would like a nice glider jerkbait to throw with and for trolling the wigglin' like plugs like the type we both build. Dave, perhaps I can help you out on your bait that doesn't wiggle.

If you have specific questions shoot me a pm!

Grtz Paul

@ Boskabouter

The video isn't that bad , also not the action of your plug . I like it !:):)

I noticed , how the visible color of your unpainted lure changed , as it dug down in the coffee-stained water , but still reflecting the sunlight , it looked kinda impressive to me !

How about just putting on some decal eyes and clear coating it:teef:?

good success,diemai

@ Boskabouter

The video isn't that bad , also not the action of your plug . I like it !:):)

I noticed , how the visible color of your unpainted lure changed , as it dug down in the coffee-stained water , but still reflecting the sunlight , it looked kinda impressive to me !

How about just putting on some decal eyes and clear coating it:teef:?

good success,diemai

I have been thinking about this before Diemai.

However I don't like the weigthholes to be visable. Not that it is a secret but this is how it looks after sealing. Screaming for paint :eek:

Foto-LE8RNBZZ.jpg

I spoke out a warning in the gallery , but obviously it didn't help , some of of your lures also got the measles , just like fatfingers' bait :lol::lol::lol: !

OK , just joking , you achieved some very well-looking crankbaits , and they are colored very neatly .

Again you managed a certain alikeness in some details from lure to lure .

But are these not running too deep for your shallow ditches in the Netherlands ?

Greetings , Dieter

But are these not running too deep for your shallow ditches in the Netherlands ?

Greetings , Dieter

Don't forget about the canals and lakes Dieter :P

The plugs with the larger lips dive quite deep and I'm trolling these on the deeper waters.

Next is to try and build in some rattles.

I'm impressed by your latest works Dieter!

Grtz Paul

I am just about finished with my first plug, a 9.5" musky plug for my dad for Fathers’ Day. I won’t see him until this Sunday, so it is okay that it is late. I took it to my in-laws to give it a “test dive”, yes I mean dive, not drive. It swam like a turd. Quite pathetic if I do say so myself. I am hoping the paint job will do it some justice but, I am no artist and I am going to use an air brush for the first time. I will post a picture of the nightmare when it is finished. Since a lot of you guys name your lures, maybe I will call mine the “Pile ‘o Poop Pathetic Perch”, “Quad P” for short.

FERG

Ferg, really sorry to hear that the "Quap P" is being such a pig, the learning curve can be a tough road. I do hope this stressful experience does not dampen your enthusiasm too much.

As you stated, you are committed now and must push forward to the finish. You must give priority to the lure in question, but are you considering a second backup? Only you can decide if there is enough time for that. I've never made a large musky bait, but I know enough to understand the work involved.

If I was the recipient of such a personalised gift from my son, I would be absolutely over the moon. It would be perfect, regardless of what you think. Often we are far more critical of our own work, this is a good thing.

I wish you good luck completing this project and hope you enjoy the weekend.

@ Boskabouter

Hi , Paul

Sorry , didn't think about it , that there are also different waters in Holland than those drains and ditches:o .

And do you already have an idea about how you rattles would be like ?

Also thank you for your kind words:) ! Geetz , Dieter

PS: Seems , that the "Oranjes" are gonna be champion , they played pretty well so far , though I am not into soccer a lot:yay: .

@ FERG DADDY

Try posting a pic or two of that "Quad P" pretty fast , maybe you'd find someone here to give you advice on how to get your lure to perform better or even well , sometimes with a little luck such is possible on a distance , even with minor work efforts :wink:.

Diemai's right. Before you invest your time and energy in a paint job and topcoat, try to get a picture posted here, along with an explanation of what your lure does and doesn't do. There are guys on this site who know what they're doing, and are really generous with their hard earned knowledge. If it can be tweaked to work, they'll figure out a way.

[quote name=diemai;98683@ FERG DADDY

Try posting a pic or two of that "Quad P" pretty fast ' date=' maybe you'd find someone here to give you advice on how to get your lure to perform better or even well , sometimes with a little luck such is possible on a distance , even with minor work efforts :wink:.

You guys are all too kind. This lure was not as fun to make as I wished it would be. I think the time constraints made it more of a chore than a joy. I have a timeline written out as far as what I need to get done and when. It does swim, but does not have the action I was hoping for, it is very tight and only dives about 6 inches. Way too bouyant. I think I'm just going to put some eyes on it and add a few details, give it a couple of coats of clear and present it to dad and laugh. This better than the one I made for him from a broom handle when I was 8. I think I can do better than this though. I will post a final picture when it is done.

FERG

Quad P.JPG

Quad P.JPG

Quad P.JPG

Quad P.JPG

Quad P.JPG

Quad P.JPG

Quad P.JPG

Quad P.JPG

3281_thumb.attach

Paul,

Those first five look great. I've known for a long time that you were working very hard and that they would be every special, and they are! You're going to love it the first time you catch that big pike on one of those. Good luck!

Hey Ferg,

Adding musky hooks might add the weight you need to cut the buoyancy and if that isn't enough, add so lead wire to the hooks to determine how much weight to add; this is all part of the learning process. The next one will be a little better and easier to build. And in a few lures, you;ll be passing on what you know to the newbies that come on board four months from now - oh, and Welcome aboard the Tackleunderground.com. These guys will hook you up.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

@ FERG DADDY

Allright , this is something to talk about :

Your lure does not dive deeper , since the angle of the lip (is it made of aluminium ?) is very steep , rather more like a wake bait .

It has the tight action , that you mentioned(I suppose , it does not wobble strong enough for your taste) , mainly because of the heigth to width ratio of its body , second issue about that is the relatively small lip .

If you would have made your lure maybe halfway thicker and into an rather oval cross-section , it would have had a better wiggle , since that oval shape would provide a better roll against the water as this rather flat body .

Obviously the lure is thru-wired , so you cannot alter the towpoint anymore , but placed rather more down at the chin towards the bill , it would surely have caused a better action .

Since the wobbling action is poor , I don't think , that added weights would help , but on a short term you could still try it (suppose , your lure still has a lot of buoancy , since it does not go down deep ?) .

Allright , try taping some weight(leadshot , rolled leadsheet , etc....) onto the outside of it and try it in a bathtube , swimming pool , shallow bank , etc....) .

Try the spot between bill and first hookhanger , but I think , in this case weight on the back of the lure would do better , since it makes it unstable to tend to capsize , so maybe this would provide a sufficient wobble . Try different weights and locations . If the weight-testing should work out , you must embed the weights into the body and repaint .

Off course such only works , when the internal wire form is not disturbing .

If you somehow have a chance to pull out the lip again , you should also try this , but only when the weighting thing failed . Make the lip about almost halfway longer and wider , its base end (root) a little narrower than width of lure , the other end should be fully rounded .

This would not increase the diving depth a lot(in my point of view not absolutely neccessary for a gift lure , since there are shallow and deepwater fishing situations alike , paramount is the action) , but a bigger lip would surely also cause the lure to roll and wobble more !

Another option is , though the most elaborate , to shave the lip(if you are unable to remove it)back flush to body outline and then make another lip slot :

Draw a pencil line sideward onto the nose portion , leading from the tow eye to the rear eye , than draw another line from the spot , where the bill enters the lures belly , to hit the first line 90

Finally making my way back to this post after a few years.  Dad and I fished together two years ago and for a laugh I decided to throw the Quad P.  To our surprise, a 32" pike decided to nail it.  The only fish it has taken, but 1 is better than none.  Moved to from Wisconsin to Utah last year, so I haven't had the chance to fish it again.  It is hibernating in dads tackle box. Planning to make a few "better" lures and fly back to Wisconsin for a June fishing trip with dad next year.

Edited by FERG DADDY
Spelling error
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1