Florida Don

Turned this today

Just thought I'd show you my latest try at turning a lure.

I wanted to see how close I could come to reproducing a lure. So, I opened one of my books to any page at random and picked out a picture to copy.

Here are the results. I did it all free hand (or free sight) as I don't really have all the equipment to do things properly.

I know the center section is a bit too thin but other than that, I am pretty satisfied.

Do you think I should paint this lure or just leave it natural? The wood is redwood.

I have no intension of selling these "reproductions" - I am strictly trying to learn how to turn different items.

lure comparison.jpg

lure comparison.jpg

lure comparison.jpg

lure comparison.jpg

lure comparison.jpg

lure comparison.jpg

lure comparison.jpg

lure comparison.jpg

3045_thumb.attach

It is a beautiful , natural material , I wouldn't paint it , only apply a tough , glossy topcoat !

BTW : many years ago , at the beginning of my luremaking carreer , I once tested a clearcoated(to prevent lure to soak water prior to final painting) teakwood lure in a canal , pulled it right along the bank , to see how it would swim .

Suddenly a nice perch inhaled the crank , I could clearly view this , it is not always the color , but the action:wink: !

Greetings , diemai

Thanks! I am thinking of hanging the hooks on the "plain" sides. Both sides have "eyes" 180* apart and plain 180* apart.

I think it may be cool to have the "eyes" left alone to make it something new to the fish. Then again, it may not look very tempting to them. I will only get one shot at drilling for the hooks - so I am spending some time trying to decide.

You are correct about all the hooks - hell, with all that weight it may not even float.:lol:

Just thought of something - I will tape the hooks on in various positions and see what works.

Thanks! Yep, turning is fun. I also made my first bowl today. Came out pretty good for not having the correct chisels.

I just have an elCheapo lathe that I got at Harbor Freight. It works fine, but I have decided I need something a bit larger - not for lures but for other things.

:lol:Sorry, I didn't mention the name before. I had meant to, but simply forgot.

Here is the info I have on it.

It is called Moonlight Dreadnought by Moonlight/Paw Paw Bait Co.

Circa 1913

Length 4"

NOTES: " Not often found. This unique lure has flat cup hardware consistant with Moonlight baits".

Value $700 - $1000

Really, it is not that hard to turn a lure. I never ran a lathe until about a month ago. If you make a mistake, the design just changes a bit.:lol:

Thanx

Now I can get a good nights sleep and if I ever see one I will know what it is (ifn I can remember) ....

Tried that lathe work many years ago .. just do not have the touch ..

You guys are great with wood ...

JSC

Vodkaman,

Thanks. But the original has a larger diameter. I have to get some hardware for this lure in order to finish it. I need to find some of the "old" propellers.

My lathe work has piqued my interest so much that all I want to do is turn wood. Will have to get a bunch of lures done and go fishing soon.