VMAXX

Crackled paint

I've been experimenting with Valspar crackle finish with little to no success, I've searched the net,searched this forum,sprayed numerous

pieces of pvc(test blanks)..... I'm pulling my hair out with no success:mad:.

Im spraying a base coat,applying the valspar then shooting a moderate coat over with no luck. Am I missing something here and is the coat Im spraying to lite? The instructions with the finish kinda makes you think your topcoat has to be brushed on?

Thanks Stacey:)

heres how we do crackle. seal bait

primer.

base coat color.

dip crackle

let dry 45 minutes. then dip next color.

let dry.

apply clear coat.

crackle will crack to an individual way on each one. applying soft heat will advance cracking.

hope it works for you

I don't think you need to brush on the topcoat, that's just instructions for the typical furniture painter. I assume you're using acrylic paint. I used a brand from Michael's Craft shops formulated for acrylics. I spray and dry the base coat, brush on the crackle medium, then spray the topcoat. If I dry the topcoat slowly, I get small crackles. If I dry it quickly, they're large. The trick is getting both sides to resemble one another. I haven't quite gotten that part down yet!

base coat...has to be high gloss[spray can]any color..then while it's wet spray a coat of flat paint on[any color]...what happens is the gloss takes longer to dry while the flat dries fast..the flat will slide over the gloss crackling as it goes.

I just found this out by accident on the bottom of a foiled crank and it turned out quite good. I'm looking forward to playing around with this technique.

on mine it happened before any clear coats. I used cheap flat off white spray paint from odd lots on top of krylon brushed metallic spray paint. Got to watch it crackle which was pretty cool. Looking forward to experimenting.

you could also probably get a crackle(or other cool) effect by using different types of paints on top of each other before they are dry. The flat paint I used was enamel, not sure about the krylon. Are most spray paints enamels? Or some acrylics?

Is this the kind of crackle you are loking for?

I'm not sure if there are kinds of crackle or not, but this is done with the scrapbooking stuff from hobby lobby that ladies use to crackle pcitures. Easy to do, base coat, crackle paint (dip, brush or spray, top color.

I used createx paint.

s_s rattle craws.jpg

s_s rattle craws.jpg

s_s rattle craws.jpg

s_s rattle craws.jpg

s_s rattle craws.jpg

s_s rattle craws.jpg

s_s rattle craws.jpg

s_s rattle craws.jpg

3108_thumb.attach

VMAXX

I got mine at Hobby Lobby.

It is a small one bottle solution found in the scrapbooking section.

I heard about it on TU.

The one I have, you just paint the base (I use createx for all)

Then paint over it with the crackle paint.

Let dry

Paint top color (again createx)

The cracking begins as soon as the second spray coat starts to hit.

BJ

take a close look at that Spring Crawfish rattle trap in the pocture I attached on the comment and tell me what you think.

I wanted to make it look more like a craw and added a strand of rubber skirt as well as putting the eyes on the back so it moves like a craw.

I caught a lot on it this spring, and I'm now working on a summer one.

Ducbos,

I did take a close look at them and that is exactly the effect I have been looking for. :yay: They look great!!

The two I did up last weekend turned out better than I expected. Both were lipless cranks (Kinami and a trap). The Kinami started with an opaque yellow, then the krackle followed by createx bright transparent red...... I am calling it the lava flow.... The trap has a base of Parma Fastchange Blue, then the krackle, then the shoulders were finished with createx medium gray........ Looks just like a lightening storm. I have no idea whether or not they will catch a fish but then look great on this end..... If I can find some time to finish them up, I might be able to take a picture or two...

Again.... Thank you for sharing......

BJ

Didn't work for me with rattle can enamel paint...just trying to see if it would. Crackle bottle says to use over acrylic paint. As long as you stick to acrylic type paint it should work. I bought Delta Crackle medium 2 oz. $1.99 and Folk Art crackle medium 4 oz $2.99..they were out of Deco Art 2oz. $1.99 at Hobby Lobby...IMO works easiest to just brush on and let dry...Delta says to not let completely dry...Hope this helps.

What I have is FolkArt under $2 at Hobbby Lobby. 4 oz bottle #695

Don't worry how the crackle coat looks. It is not a clear coat like the final Devcon.

You're going to cover over it ant that layer of paint will crack.

It;s made for acrylic paint not vinyl or lacquer.

BJ's got - just give it about 15 minutes then spray the second color.

When I started with the Crackle thing I was trying to work out a way to paint baits like JAMAL does with all the mixed color swirls. Does anyone know how that is done? He hasn't decided to share the secret yet, but someone here will figure it out I'm sure.

I thought the crackle would work well for crayfish looking baits, but would love to see other ideas.