24 replies to this topic

#21 benton B

benton B

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:34 AM

The nice thing about the circuit board lips is that you can buy some pre-cut. It saves a lot of time on a lure build. Those baits in the pic are not really fat bodies (1/2 stock was used) the pic is not that good. Those 2 baits weigh in the 1/8oz range and run pretty good but got some kinks to work out. I like the foil job you did to your baits, that takes some skill on baits that small.

#22 rofish

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

I don't know how big those coins are, but you surely don't know how big my hand is :)

#23 whittler

TU Supporter

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

Pizza, on a bait this small I have not had any trouble with 1/32" Lexan but on larger deep divers you can get a lot of flex. The bait pictured will have treble hooks, but on my personal baits I use a single octopus hook, like BobP they work great. This little bugger is 7/8" long and 1 tenth oz. I made a smaller one but lost it some where on my bench.

Posted Image

#24 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:13 AM

I've made some of the Jann's Netcraft or Lurecraft fat balsa mini cranks that are 1 5/8" long and fish them with either a single #6 treble or a small octopus hook on the tail only. I like the hooking power of the larger hooks and especially the snagless performance of a single octopus hook on the tail. For me, true micro cranks are for spinning rod experts only. Since I'm lousy with one, I make mine 1/4 oz so I can throw them on a baitcasting rod. That means the bodies must have enough bouyancy to carry the ballast required for a compact 1/4 oz bait - and that calls for a fat balsa body. The other factor is the angle of the lip. You need a large lip angle to wiggle a short bait with weight hanging on the tail. I use about 45 degrees. I did a batch with lips at about 20 degrees and they were a disaster. My hat's off to you guys who can build such nice micro crankbaits from scratch. I'm not sure I have the fine motor skills to do that.

#25 pizza

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Nice ones guys! The teeny tot is amazing whittler! I'm burnt out on the lil guys right now but I'll probably try a (sub)dime sized in the future. I'll definately be checking out single octopus hooks the next time I am at the store. Thus far I've been using a single #8 treble. Thanks for all the advice everyone.