STI

Painting Questions and Opinions

Hi All, I am new to the forum and have been doing research here for ideas on custom painting both plastic and wood hardbaits. I am a retired taxidermist and know how to use an airbrush to paint fish. I need to know what you all think about which taxidermy paints are best for the job. I used Poly Transpar Laquer paints which was the best around about 7 years ago, and I know the health concerns, but I used a respirator and have no problems that I know of. What do you recommend and what sealer and topcoat. Thanks, avid Bass Angler, owner of Southerntackle.com, Mike

Edited by STI
spelling

The only problem I had when I was using taxidermy paints is the lack of some of the "un-natural" colors. If you paint only taxidermy looking baits, then they are fine, but when you want something bright it can be hard to find the colors for it. The topcoat is up to you, I used about 3 different ones with the lacquer paints and never had a reaction between the paint and topcoat with any of them. There are many many topics on the forums where the "great topcoat debate" can be researched, and you can make your own decision from the information. No matter which one you choose its very addictive and fun.

If you do taxidermy, you're probably already a better painter than 95% of the rest of us.

I really don't know anything about lacquer paints, but, as for top coats, the choices, to me, boil down to durability and weight.

Epoxy is the toughest, most durable, but it's also the heaviest. It will not react to lacquer or water based paints, so it's a good choice.

Urethane clear coats are lighter, but not as durable. I don't durablity is as critical as weight on a crank, but on jointed lures it is more important.

Again, since you're already an accomplished air brusher, you've just about got it licked.

Make some test lures, or paint up a couple of pieces of wood or PVC and then try out different top coats, and see which one does what you want.

One word of warning. If you're making wood lures, a good sealer is critical, or your paint job and top coat will be for naught.

Post a sealer question here, and there are guys who have all the answers.

Good luck, and welcome.