BJBarron

Just cut them out today...

I too like to keep an open mind with body shapes. But it usually comes down to practicallities with me. Every part of the lure has a reason or explanation behind it. I only do lipped lures at the moment, so the nose has to have enough body to support a lip. Enough depth at the thickest part to hang the ballast low, this gives good vertical stability, the thickest part positioned where I want the ballast. A thin tail to minimise the resistance to movement from inertia and resistance due to area. I then shape the body profile around these design parameters to get a nice tactile shape. Having gone through this thought process, I usuall end up with the shape that most others have already arrived at before me.

having said all that, all your shapes pretty much fill the bill. I like the third one down. I have thought about using the body shape as a weed guard, similar to number 3, mounting the hook behind the deepest part of the body. Once you have built them all, you should report back with any differences in swim action.

Vman,

At the risk of getting booed off the stage, I have.......... :eek:

a vortex question.

Would hollowing out the curve on the bottom of #3, from the lowest point up toward the tail, so it had a concave shape, create a low pressure area and a unique action?

I've done that on the top of my swimbaits, from the line tie to the high point, to try and get them to have more action, like a lipless crank.

Have you an opinion?

Thanks for all the feedback. I cut some more of the number 3 out today kids got a hold of the ones i done the other day. I have thought about putting a grove frome the belly to the tail. Thats why i cut out about ten today some i can play around with them tonight to see what i get. Im going to do direct tie to the bait and were you tie to the bill. But again thanks for the comments.

This are the 2 i got done today. They have been sanded, water proofed, hangers put in, belly weights added, bill put in. They are suprsing well balanced. The real test will be when i take them out to the pond to see how they are going to really act. I dont think my bass in the pond has ever seen a crank before. Wish me luck. I dont think they are to bad for a first timer. The first pic the bill on the crank is 2x as big as the second, but they float the same.....

img064xi7.th.jpg

img065qh3.th.jpg

Mark. The short answer is no. The water around the lure acts as a 'system', each part affecting the rest. The flow balances out, like an equilibrium. It won’t allow separate, independent vortices to form unless it fits in with the system. This vague paragraph is clarified by the next.

I tried something similar when I was trying to figure out how hunting works. I fitted two lips, one at the front and one towards the rear. Each lip was a different width. The theory was that the different widths would generate vortices at different speeds. At certain intervals, the two vortices would be pulling in the same direction (in phase), later they would be pulling in opposite directions. I was hoping for a really erratic swim with some crazy zig-zag action going on.

The bait had a good strong action, but it was regular, like there was only one lip. The vortex at the rear lip was affected by the vortex from the front lip and so both lips worked at the same speed. Obviously, the vortices are not visible, so I am only theorizing (guessing) as to what is happening.

Good thinking though. I only experimented on this idea with half a dozen variations and by no means covered all the bases, so don’t allow my negative answer dissuade you from experimenting further.

Wow Vman, what is your day job? I love reading your long, technical, and indepth posts but most of the time I just can't follow. Keep them up though, I do pick up smidgeons of insight each time you unload vast amounts of knowledge in a post. Maybe if I read enough of them I will understand vortices a fraction of how well you seem to.

By the way, good looking baits, let us know how they swim!

Mike