PremiumSwimbait

My swimbait

Wow... I'm impressed. Where did you learn to crave like that? An airbrush can get expensive plus the cost of a compressor, hoses. etc.

Although, that's not the only way to paint. There is the rattle can (spray paint) method used by members like rlcam. He puts out some really good repaints and can crave up a storm. Good luck and your painting friend can teach you some airbrush basics.

What I've found with jointed swimbaits is that having a really strong sealer is critical. The top coat and paint, no matter what you use, are going to chip due to the sections banging against each other at the joints. Not if, but when, at least in a wood bait.

If you use a really strong sealer, like epoxy that's thinned a little, and coat it well, then your paint scheme will last longer, as long as you scuff the epoxy surface with fine sand paper or a scouring pad, to allow a good mechanical bond.

Rattle can paints will work fine, and then another coat of epoxy for the top coat, and you're set.

Good luck.