StoneCoal Tackle

Found this hiding in a piece of cedar!

Any of you who have been following my "StoneCoal Tackle busy winter" post in the Docks knows that I haven't made a lure yet this year! Well that's about to change (I hope) because last night while working on some work related stuff in my shop I spotted a splintered piece of cedar board that a friend from a local builders supply gave me a couple years ago. It was covered with dust but I cut a chunk off the end of it, ran it through the scroll saw, then across the bench sander, carved on it a little with my utility knife, hit it with some sandpaper and look what I found in there........................

Firstlurefor08.jpg?t=1211427117

.......My first lure for 2008:yeah::yeah:!!

If you've ever looked at the lures in my gallery pics you've no doubt noticed that I'm stuck in the past when it comes to lure making and usually make off the wall stuff based on vintage designs. So, this is not only my first lure for 2008 but it will be my first crank bait of this style.

Hope I can get back to it soon and finish it up.

I'll keep ya posted.

Carve on,

daymon

@ StoneCoalTackle

Hope , that you'd still find enough time to paint , rig and fish that lure .

If you'd stay away from lurecarving for too long , you might probably fall into deep depressions or other undefined illnesses:lol:(happens to me) !

@ pizza

I like your paint design , it is kept simple(spray cans , I guess), but yet looks very impressive , attractive and also realistic to me(I bet , to the fish either) . The applied metal flakes are really giving it the edge ,

great looks !

Greetz , diemai

I quite like the shape too! Not quite the same, but close enough.

3k5LKZGLOAMnFMvh8IgrWgxB3f29CgSe0300.jpg

This is stuff that I was preparing for the TU meet. In the box a bunch of prototypes that I was going to give a talk on, taking advantage of the hotel test tank, the bodies on the right were to be hand outs for fishing.

There is something about this shape, you just want to pick it up. I am searching for some inspiration to start work on them again.

Thanks guys for the kind words, it feels good to work on a lure again. Heres how I think I will proceed............

I'm thinking of sinking this egg weight in the belly at this approximate location and have the screw eye for the hook to run through it........

myfirstcranker2.jpg?t=1211666919

right now I'm thinking just one ( 1/0) hook because it looks like a tail hook would tangle pretty easily.

My next thought is what kind of lip to use?.... .....................

a rounded one.........

myfirstcranker3.jpg?t=1211668459

.....or a square one.................

myfirstcranker4.jpg?t=1211668552

Bigger? Smaller? Longer?

myfirstcranker1.jpg?t=1211668661

lure measures 3-1/4" with the square lip and about 3-1/2" with the round one. Any input is appreciated.

Carve on,

daymon

Daymon- Yeah --I like the square one, I think I will order some------------ and form a curve in them, and SEEEEEEEE how they run. Wish you could have made it to Clinton Dave, I like "13.7" , incidentally the pool was about 15' long, so may have been a test for lips, rather than lure characteristics , and in the 2 weeks I was there I saw one person (male) in it. pete

Hey Wickyman, welcome to TU! Looks like you, Dave and Pete are partial to the square lip so I believe I'll go with it.

Anthony, thanks for the hook and weight mods. If they are good enough for you and pikeman then I'll sure give'em a try.

I'm hoping to put the line tie in the wood just above lip...............

myfirstcrankerlapalamods.jpg?t=1211859962

.....hope it will work there. I've cut out another one of these in cedar and a couple out of basswood to whittle on during lunch this week. Maybe I'll try a few different things with lips, weight etc. on the others.

..............Like maybe a prop version for Rookie :lol:

crankerforrookie.jpg?t=1211859594

You guys have a good week and I'll try to make some progress on this thing.

Carve on,

daymon

Edited by StoneCoal Tackle
pics

Well guys, I finished one of my crank baits but it isn't the first one I cut out. This is one of the basswood ones, it's a little heavier than the cedar but I think it's easier to work with. I went with the square lip and the belly weight on this one is kinda between where I originally planned and where LaPala suggested. The paint is Krylon rattle can base with some black water colors brushed on and a couple red gill slashes. The eye is painted on. I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow and stop at a pond on the way home and give it a swim. Wish me luck.

Carve on,

daymon

108-002d.jpg?t=1212980069

108-002c.jpg?t=1212981444

Thanks guys, I took it for a swim on the way home from work monday evening and was pleased. Had to tune it a little but it straightened up and swam great. Fairly tight wobble and about a foot and a half deep on a slow retrieve. The water was kinda murky so I couldn't tell for sure but I think I could get it down to 5 or 6 feet on a fast crank. Although I can hook the hooks together by hand, they never tangled in the 25 or 30 throws I made with it. No strikes but I had an 8-10 inch bass follow it so I'm happy with it.

Have a couple more in the works so stay tuned for one in a brighter pattern, like ..............."Fire Crappie"...LOL:lol::lol:

Carve on,

daymon

PS

The house is coming along nicely, I'll see if I can get some more pics up this weekend.