huck

Spinning rod converted to acid wrap

I've been wanting to do a few things since learning to build rods, and as it turned out I had a need, and a couple of spare rods to help complete it. I dont know what the rod I chopped up was... something I bought in Hawaii as a beater for the surf. But this rod was a Shimano 2 piece 9' spinning rod rated 14-25lb - 3/4 to 4oz - med/heavy fast action.

The project

• Convert a spinning rod to casting rod.
  • Add a split grip
  • Try a tiger wrap
  • Try marbeling

I cut off the guides and re-wrapped them to create an Acid Wrap or Spiral Wrap rod. I only took off the first 3 guides and left the remaining 3 on. This way I can use the rod with the Jigmaster I added magnets to as a casting rod, but not have to relocate all the guides to keep the spine of the rod in the right place since it's a 2 piece.

Cut off the butt cap and drilled out the glue from inside of the blank. Then took another rod, and cut the blank in half, removed the guides, fore-grip, reel seat etc and left on the grip. Added glue and shoved it in the butt of the Shimano thereby creating a split grip.

Wrapped a tiger wrap in the split. Added 5 min epoxy putty to either side of the split to create a nice taper, filed/sanced then painted with a mix of epoxy and Testors paint to try to create marbel effect, which didn't really work as planned, but came out ok.

Kind of a sloppy job, but it'll work and now I can finally use that jigmaster on some leopard sharks and catfish.

guide.jpg

tiger.jpg

splitpaint.jpg

guides.jpg