carlosh

Surf Bait

I want to build a surf bait I can cast with a surf rod against the wind. The ideal weight would be 2.5 Oz., but I know I can't achieve that and still maintain a topwater lure similar to a Zara Spook in size. In any case, what should I build the lure body with if I want to keep the length at no more than 5 inches, yet achieve the greatest weight without sinking to the bottom? Once I'm in the ballpark I can play with additional weights to make some topwater and some suspending lures. I have a metal working lathe for turning wood and metal.

Carlos in Austin:whistle:

I want to build a surf bait I can cast with a surf rod against the wind. The ideal weight would be 2.5 Oz., but I know I can't achieve that and still maintain a topwater lure similar to a Zara Spook in size. In any case, what should I build the lure body with if I want to keep the length at no more than 5 inches, yet achieve the greatest weight without sinking to the bottom? Once I'm in the ballpark I can play with additional weights to make some topwater and some suspending lures. I have a metal working lathe for turning wood and metal.

Carlos in Austin:whistle:

You have a PM.

2.5ozs is 70gm. With 10% buoyancy, this means a body volume of 77gm/cm3 is required for a casting weight of 70gm.

I experimented with a computer model I have. Probably not the right shape, but will give you an idea of requirements. I have just cut a simple fillet rad around the edges, not pretty, but if you cut more fancy curves, you will be reducing the volume further.

TxApIwzqTqFBOlQECCWApJqvg4M9VrGQ0300.jpg

This picture shows a body of dimensions:

length 125mm, depth 40mm, thickness 20mm. Its casting weight is 44g or just over 1.5ozs.

To achieve 2.5ozs casting weight, the required body dimensions are:

length 125, depth 49mm, thickness 25mm.