The Natural

Bottom feed vs. top feed...

I studied up on airbrushes via past threads...nozzle diameter, models, etc...but I don't see where anybody mentions whether they are using top or bottom feeds. I thought top feed at first, but how would you switch paints effeciently? Hobby Lobby sells bottom mounted paint reservoirs pretty cheap, and it seems I could have a bunch of different colors ready to go. This seems like it would be critical in painting multi-colored baits.

Yeah, like boomah21 says, you have to clean it between colors and cleaning a gravity brush is easier and faster than a syphon brush because it holds less paint internally. The gravity brush will shoot paint at lower pressure because you are not using suction power to get paint into the mix chamber. That helps when you shoot finer lines at low pressure. A syphon model is good when you're shooting lots of paint, like if you need to basecoat 15-20 baits at a time and want to connect a large jar to the airbrush. For me, that doesn't happen often so I prefer gravity brushes. If I'm doing colors on 2-3 baits, 4-5 drops of paint in my gravity airbrush is often enough. You rinse more than that out of the paint tube of a syphon brush when you clean it. My Iwata has a 1/16 oz top cup and that's proven to be "just right" for my hobby painting.

I used bottom feed for 1 year!!! Then I finally purchased a gravity feed.... I wish all my guns were gravity.. Im slowly replacing them as money comes in..

Bottom feed is not that bad of purchase if you get a good deal on a good gun.. but in the long run..Gravity is the ticket! I agree with the rest of these guys!

The Rookie

Ditto on the gravity feed being the way to go. I used to fight with a Paasche VL syphon feed (arghhhhh!) & wasted paint like nobody's business but since switched to an Iwata HP-C+ WOW - what a difference!!! Also, the gravity feed is wayyyyyyyyy easier to clean which is also right up my alley:)

No one must me using the same brush as me, but my gravity feed is takes a lot more time to change colors then my bottom feed. Or maybe it's just me.

As far as painting, gravity feed all the way. Like was said, the ability to shoot at such low air pressure outweighs the cleaning issues I have.