diemai

new "Banana" lure

I didn't build any of these but I am definitely a fan of the "banana lure". These are all kwikfish in the 15 and 16 size that I use for chinook. Kwikfish are a wonderful lure, very stable in heavy current and yet they will still wobble when the tide has barely turned. The lure that is white with spots is killer!

I love the lures you are making diemai, particularly those without a lexan bill. You are definitely patient but I am sure the slow process is what you enjoy the most.

Jed V.

july4 002.jpg

july4 002.jpg

july4 002.jpg

july4 002.jpg

july4 002.jpg

july4 002.jpg

july4 002.jpg

july4 002.jpg

3420_thumb.attach

@ RiverMan

Really enjoyed to view your collection , what an array of colors :yay:! ! !

You are so right to say , that I enjoy seeing the lures slowly evolve under my hands very much :yes:!

But I must admit , that I don't take such an effort in painting them :huh::(!

At this stage I want them to be finished fast , because most likely I already have new ideas on my mind about what to try next and I can't always easily wait for long to put my ideas into shape:nuhuh: .

I know, it's kinda weird , but that's how it this:huh::huh: !

Greetz , Dieter

It's been quite a while , since I've posted here last , but that doesn't mean , that I'm not procceding with my "Banana" lures as well :yes:!

Only the paint failure of my swimbait kept me busy for some time , also the lure shown here(in pink) I had to clean off again , since that new yellow spray paint evolved crackles on it , too:( .

Like my swimbait in my other thread I also decided on brush-painting it with modelmaking enamels .

Off course such a finish can never make up with the airbrush beauties shown here on TU , but I am OK with it(local fish obviously too) , I'd rather prefer designing , constructing and carving lures rather them painting them .

Kinda sad , but true:huh::o !

For some other lures , that I am presently working on(also one "Banana" and the "SuperBug" knock-off) I am planning on a metal flake finish :wink:.

Never did it on wooden baits before , only on spoons , but I am sure , that it would work out on those as well , though it is also quite time consuming .

It requires several gloss coats to sprinkle on the glitter particles until achieving proper coverage , after some more coats to achieve a reasonably smooth surface :yes:.

Some other "Banana's" are almost finished so far(check second pic) , only want to apply some glitter jelly as well and after topcoat them !

Greetz , Dieter

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

PABASW_01.JPG

PABASW_02.JPG

3485_thumb.attach

3486_thumb.attach

Hi , folks

Here are some pics showing how I put on the first layer of the metal flake finish , that I mentioned in my previous post here .

Before this I have primed the lures as usual and sprayed on a silver base color , so it seems , that already with the first process a good coverage has been achieved , but I am sure , that I might have to apply a second layer :yes:.

When the epoxy coat , on which I sprinkled the metal flakes , has dried after one day , I'd shake off all loose glitter particles , so some gaps might still show up , and I'd have to repeat .

After I'd put on some more coats of epoxy to render the surface more smooth , so that I can spray on some contrasting colors on the belly .

I might as well put on metal flakes again , also in different colors .

I guess , I'm gonna do this on the backs of the lures , and only spray the bellies :wink:!

To sprinkle on the flakes , I put a slightly kinked clean piece of paper underneath to gather all particles falling aside , the kink acts like a kind of funnel to pour the flakes back into their container:wink: .

Greetz , Dieter

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

METFLA_01.JPG

METFLA_02.JPG

3502_thumb.attach

3503_thumb.attach

Hi , folks

Whilst I am still working on the metal flake finish of two of my new "banana" lures , I have just today completed the other four baits :).

They are rattle canned and brush painted(with modelmaking enamels) , but I haven't yet field-tested them .

Nevertheless they all worked fine during my bathtube tests for weighting them , still unpainted .

Only the one in pink with a blue head runs a little too moderate for my taste , I guess , this is because its body cross section is partly rather flat , so it is unable to "roll" as much as the other baits:? !

Anyway , I am still going to wait a few days more to cast them for first , I just want the topcoats to cure a bit more .

Greetz , Dieter

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

PIC_0003.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

PIC_0007.JPG

3519_thumb.attach

3520_thumb.attach

3521_thumb.attach

Allright , here are the other two lures !

I know , that I can never match the premium class A paintjobs to be seen here on TU , but I really enjoy making these lures , and sometimes I also catch fish on them , luckily:):lol: !

Greetz , Dieter

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0016.JPG

PIC_0019.JPG

3522_thumb.attach

3523_thumb.attach

3524_thumb.attach

Hi , folks

Finally my last two "Banana's" are now done with their "metal flake finish" !

Haven't applied this on wooden lures before , only on casting spoons .

I have found , that it adds quite a bit of weight to the lures , since apart from the metal glitter particles it requires some more top gloss coats as on "normally" painted lures . But not as much to render them to be sinking :nuhuh:!

Had to paint on the eyes of the lures , since decal eyes wouldn't hold onto the rough glitter surface very well .

Sometimes they do , but also the eyes locations on these lures are quite curved , it requires a rather plane surface for them to stick at all :yes:!

Next time I should cut eye sockets and leave them bare of glitter flakes , so I won't have that problem again :wink:!

Quite time-consuming to do and not very detailed , but in fact something different to offer to the fish !

Greetz , Dieter

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

BAMEFL_01.JPG

BAMEFL_02.JPG

BAMEFL_03.JPG

3558_thumb.attach

3559_thumb.attach

3560_thumb.attach

Well , here is the second "Banana" , it did not turn out quite as good as the previously shown "SuperBug" version , also the layer of metal flakes got a bit thicker , since I messed things up at first and had to redo it:( !

Also the sprayed-on "fishbone" pattern turned out to be a little too low on the flanks , but the fish won't bother , I guess:huh:;) !

Greetz , Dieter

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

BAMEFL_04.JPG

BAMEFL_05.JPG

BAMEFL_06.JPG

3561_thumb.attach

3562_thumb.attach

3563_thumb.attach

Fished that "SuperBug" version yesterday for the first time . Works great , dives deep , not even tow eye-tuning was neccessary:yay: .

The lure can be cast pretty far , then it would fly out on its back with the large bill acting as a sort of "wing" or rudder .

But also sometimes it would start to tumble , thus not go that far:( .

I guess , if using a casting reel(I was geared with a spinning reel),

the casting performance would still improve .

There will be more of these lures coming winter , also smaller versions , that's for sure :yes:!

Haven't caught on it that day , fish were reluctant as usual these days over here , only a small zander(walleye)of about 20" took a palm-sized homemade spoon !

Thanks to TU and especially LaPala :worship:!

Greetz , diemai

Not worthy Diemai, I believe I only contributed one post to this discussion. It's your own effort in experimenting and sharing the results that is worthy:yay:. We need more lure makers getting their hands dirty instead of wanting to get quick answers.

@ LaPala

You led my attention on this design , it is something , that I've been looking for since a long time:yes: :

A reasonably small lure , that can dive quite deep:yay: !

I know , it sounds a bit like ballyhooing , since I have only made this one so far and never even caught with it , but I am certain , that this design has potential for making more and also a bit smaller lures to meet my fishing demands:yes: .

Greetz , Dieter

Hi dieter,

this is the first time I see somebody build this kind of lures with enthusiasm...I like banana style lures very much...maybe because I started building lures with this style of bait! This is a forgotten lure...in germany.

As one can see there is a lot of interest in banana lures...it is really a special thing to model the sexy shape of a banana lure with wood!

Here some of my very old lures...I should start building some of them again :-)

Cheers Manu

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

2-1.JPG

3-1.JPG

1-1.JPG

3662_thumb.attach

3663_thumb.attach

3664_thumb.attach

@ Luretrekker

Hi , Manu

Very nice and beautiful "Bananas" you've got there , their shape is a bit different to my lures , yours are kept a lot slimmer in shape , but I guess that their swimming actions would be quite alike:yes: !

I only wonder , how you've rigged in the internal wire harness , into a slot at the belly or you even glued two halves together with the harness inbetween:? ?

No matter which way , seems to be quite finacky , but well worth the effort !

Happy to hear that you share my enthusiasm about this old lure-style , with their smooth body curves there really must be a kind of erotic issue involved , indeed :yes:!

But I guess , that I came to like them a lot , since many years ago on my first prototype I have caught some pretty nice pike within a few days , something , that any angler would always remember :yes:!

Kinda funny writing in English to a fellow German countryman , but well , this an American site:yes: !

Greetz , Dieter

@ Dieter:

Yes it's kind of funny, but that's what makes this site so interesting with lurebuilders from all around the world :tipsy:...and sometimes from the same little spot on the planet.

Your words in my mouth...I caught my best pike until now on my first banana style lure :-) and had some days with lots of strikes too...hm maybe I should fish again more frequently with them :-)

I just made a fast picture how I build the wire through construction...I flex a slot into the lure belly with a cutting disc on a dremel. The hint is to cut through the diving lip until the position of the front lure eye. The rest of the lure gets just a slot (not cut through). Then you are able to bend the wire and pass it into the lure. Then I seal the whole thing with 5 min epoxy again...works very good.

Many of my bananas are indeed more slim and have a very oval belly cross section. But bananas have a unique swimming action compared to other lures...I think this is one reason why they are that successful in waters with lots of fishing pressure...

The second picture I attached shows THE lure...the first banana that caught my best pike many years ago :-) very simple lure, but big results...

Tight lines

Manu

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

Bild-TU.jpg

MCL-1-1 Kopie.jpg

3667_thumb.attach

3668_thumb.attach

@ Luretrekker

Hi , Manu

Thanks for that sketch , I will surely try out to build one(or more) after your design and method , I'm curious about them :yes:!

You don't add any additional weights ?

I have made a few "ordinary" crankbaits this way , when epoxying the wire harness into the belly slot I have just glued in some small stripes of 1,0 mm roofing lead sheet into the slot as well (first harness , after lead !) .

The problem about this is , that you won't know the best weight size and location in advance , so it really is a matter of experience :?!

On my style of "Banana" lures I have found , that one or two small lead shots ahead of belly hook hanger or even under the lip enhance the stability and steady frequency of wobble:yes: .

Your first one already has some "scars of honor" , wish , I could find mine in one of my boxes down the basement so I could show you as well !

It looks similar to yours in terms of wear , anyway !

I remember that I had to replace one of its decal eyes already , since one pike has peeled it off:lol: !

Greetz , Dieter

@ LaPala

Great design and realistic paint job :yes::yay:! How about flavour :)?

Have you caught on it already , maybe even a trophy sized cheetah:lol: :lol:?

@ Luretrekker

Thanks for posting the weight locations of your lures:yes: !

Made my initial design sketch today at work , out of my memory , since I don't have web access there:nuhuh: .

But I guess , that it gets quite close , can't wait to start out carving , but before I have to paint and topcoat some lures !

Nice input for me , Manu , thanks a lot :worship:!

greetz , Dieter

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

LUTRBASK_01.JPG

3673_thumb.attach

@ Diemai:

Yes your side view could be a sketch from me...good memory :-)

Many of my bananas are made from cedar wood...this might be surprising but it worked great until now with its high bouyancy. I'm very interested about how the lure will work with abachi wood. This was of course one more reason for me to insert a wire harness.

Lapala,

I know Zalt lures. They are very popular in northern europe for pike fishing and they really catch fish.

I don't know why, but I never liked them very much...I don't like their action althought the pikes seem to do :-)

They run quite different than my bananas or for example the quickfish...much less agressive...maybe I can post a video soon.