diemai

new "Banana" lure

@ rofish

Sorry to have caused you so much brainwork ,:lol::lol: lol !

One thing I'd say , you are a true wire-bending artist , I like your multiple toweye design .

But I wonder , wether your lures would have a nice wiggle or only swim in a "wave" pattern on retrieve ?

They are quite flat-bodied , hence lack sideward stability , I suppose .

At least a wider lip portion would provide a better "grip" and counterbalance in the water .

I have pictured two similar lures to your designs for you to figure out better about my statement .

Both lures are made by unknown Finnish builders , got them in terms of lure swaps with my Finnish friend "Jio" .

Both of them have a nice , frequent wobble , and are obviously made of balsa , since they are quite light .

keep on carvin':yay: , greetz , Dieter

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0001.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

3740_thumb.attach

3741_thumb.attach

@ mark poulson

Hi , Mark

Guess , that you're not that far wrong with your "Frankenstein Lures" and monster names .

Now I know , why my fishing is so slow presently :yes::cry:!

THEY'RE TOO SCARED TO STRIKE :eek::eek::eek:!

Now , here are some real "Frankenstein" creatures from my very early luremaking days , about 12 to 14 years ago , don't remember for sure . Also don't remember about their action , haven't used them a lot , since back then I quickly learned , that it is impossible to overcome the laws of physics , lol:huh::huh::lol: !

But these ones pictured are not entirely rejects , I suppose , I remember to have littered some others , so I kept these for some reason :?:yes:.

Only remember the big black "pregnant" lure with the downward flat tail to wiggle a lot and cause a wake on the surface with its tail .

I have learned a lot by these "creatures" , so don't laugh , otherwise the monsters are comin' to git ya :eek::eek::lol::lol:!

greetz , Dieter

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

FRALU1_01.JPG

FRALU1_02.JPG

FRALU1_03.JPG

3745_thumb.attach

3746_thumb.attach

3747_thumb.attach

Alright , some more "monsters" :o!

The ones painted in a chessboard pattern are not as old , maybe 7 or 8 years , but I had problems with their linseedoil treatment .The colors yellowed , the liquid is coming up to the surface :(.

I guess , nowadays I have solved that problem by utilizing different kinds of paints and laquers .

Anyway , they're here to show , what a lurebuilders mind running wild is able to create , just like "Frankenstein" , like Mark said :lol::lol:, lol !

A square cross-sectioned lure just to be able to paint it in a chessboard pattern :drool::eek:!

The one with the metal-plate lip doesnt even work too well !

The small "Swim Whizz" type I carved together with the weird ones shown in previous post .

Actually this is the one , that kept me going on with carving back in these days :yes::yay:!

On first trip , first trial it produced a 33" pike , that was the evidence , that I needed to proceed making lures :yes:!

These "Frankenstein" creatures could never achieve that :(!

Greetz , Dieter

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

FRALU2_01.JPG

FRALU2_02.JPG

FRALU2_03.JPG

3748_thumb.attach

3749_thumb.attach

3750_thumb.attach

@ Luretrekker

Hi , Manu

Very nice lure you have built there , a great technical challenge , I suppose :yes:.

In the dark of the depths is really has something of a monster appearance ,:eek::lol: lol !

I understand , that the light is transmitted through light-leading cables , but what is the source of the light :??

I see something like a casing sticking out of the back of your "banana" , do you insert a chemical light ("Knicklicht" in German) , and if yes , is it one of 4,5 mm or 3,0 mm diameter ?

Or is it battery operated ?

Or is it a secret:huh: ?

Greetz , Dieter

Speaking of shapes, it crossed my mind that I may try this:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/rofish_2006/rofish_2006-4/bananas015.jpg

You could make it slimmer/taller, with/without a head, etc, as you like. I think this shape has the advantade that you can place the weight at the lowest points of the lure. I wonder it this shape has been tried before?:?

Another idea came to my mind after seeing Luretrekker's "winner" (the lure which produced a nice pike for him). That lure has a scar on the nose, and I think it does not come from a pike, but rather from the encounter with rocks or gravel, or similar. I think I could make a protective cap for the nose, using clear plastic sheet, which you could wrap around the nose using heat. Just an idea.

So Diemai & Luretrekker, this is all your fault:angry: :lol:

Rofish the link you posted looks very much like a Heddon Cousin lure

you carve it & let us know the action please.

Diemai,

I knew I would not be able to bend the wire as I wanted to from the first trial, so I made my hand first on some soft wire, to see how to proceed. I am not in a position to waste precious SS wire, since I cannot find such a material here.

As I already said, the 2 bananas do not have an action that I hoped for. They would mostly lean on the left and right, in a quite large action. But I will not give up. If after glueing the weight in the final position, they will still lack the "wobble" I expect from them, I will add a lip.

Nice monsters you have there. Any connection between you and Frankenstein?:lol:

Swede,

Sorry, I do not know the lures you are talking about. But I will surely try that shape. I hoped somebody has already tried it.

All you guys are true designers, very enjoyable and innovative creations.

Diemai, I did a few experiments with double lipped lures and can see how the duckbilled fattypus lure would have a good action (black pregnant lure).

The only thing missing from this thread is some video of bananas and some of the monsters too.

Dave

@ Rofish:

Yes at some bananas I used svivels. I didn't think about the lowered point of gravity in this case. But this is of course another effect. The idea behind this was just to minimize strike failures and lost fish during fighting. I had a bad feeling with bananas which have almost a boomerang shape when the middle hook was too close to the body...I believed I could hook more fish with this elongation.

@ Mark:

Yes it took a lot of time to build this one, but I don't really remember how long I worked, because it is some years ago when I created this lightning banana. ;-) I must say that I have never really fished it because it is a really big monster ;-) but it would be interesting to thest the lights furthermore in lures.

@ diemai:

Yes it was a real challenge to build this. Yes it is correct, I built in some light transmition cables...there are 5 cables on each side in the lure which lead the light. The source is a 4,5 mm chemical standard light which can be put into a aluminium slot on the back of the lure.

I have built another crankbait with LED light, but this is not a banana lure. There is a blue LED in a window on each side in this one ;-) :teef: Maybe I can find a picture...

Vodkaman,

this is exactly what I was thinking about...some videos. I'm goint to videotape the action of some bananas...but we have pretty bad windy and rainy weather in germany at the moment...not really the best conditions to videotape some lures ;-)

When there are good conditions during my next boating trip I will try to make some short videos...

Casting abilities of this one are not very good due to the shape...it is almost like a boomerang :-) and the action is very agressive because it is almost half a circle.

I didn't fish this lure very often...thus I can't say too much about catching fish with it...maybe I should try it again...but there are so many other nice lures I prefere at the moment...especially my swimbaits...they are real weapons. Then it's always difficult to try other things :-)