JBlaze

Weighting a Bib/Bill

Random thought, but what if you drilled a hole, stuck a .22 shell in the hole upside down so the rim caught the edge of the hole and the case stuck out the bottom, shoved/melted some lead into it, and sealed it with epoxy? Would that work?

Don't know but, I like the idea. It just needs to be flat and thin. so as not to create a lot of resistance to the bill shaking back and forth in the water. This crank is thin on the bill end and I have put as much weight there as I can. the 1/32 is the additional weight I needed to get it to sit with the bill pointing down in the water and ready to dive.I put a pic of the crank in this post hope it comes thru. Crank #2 has been to the lake and has the action of a fleeing craw. #1 and #3 have had the bucket test #1 sits level in the water and #3 is a slow sinker. Will give them the lake test tomorrow if not raining.

Craw Cranks01.jpg

Craw Cranks01.jpg

Craw Cranks01.jpg

Craw Cranks01.jpg

Craw Cranks01.jpg

Craw Cranks01.jpg

Craw Cranks01.jpg

Craw Cranks01.jpg

3147_thumb.attach

To get a nice smooth "crown" on your lead you will need an anvil and a setter. Your anvil can be any soft piece of metal such as brass, copper, aluminum, etc. Take a 1/4-in drill bit and just lightly drill a concave place in your anvil material. Not too deep. Just deep enough to "dish" it. Next, take a 1/4-in bolt and concave the end of it just like you did your anvil. Drill your hole in your lip, place your lead through the hole and set it on your anvil. Using your setter (bolt), take a hammer and flatten your lead. Makes a nice, smooth dome.

Gene

The weight does not have to be smashed flat, just crimp it in the hole so it does not move. It will not add enough resistance to notice. You can trim the weight if needed to adjust the nose down position. Never mind, I like Lincoya's idea much better than my own.

Edited by benton B

You may make your own "suspendots" and "suspenstripes" in heavier quality by sticking carpet tape(glues on either side , very sticky thing) onto clean(not tarnished) roofing lead sheet .

Leave the outer protection foil of the tape untouched , so you can cut out required pieces with scissors and stick them onto bill !

Greetz , diemai

Gee Whil-ikers. Lots of great ideas here. I know these will work and look much better than what I did, " So simple a cave-man could have done it". I don't think my brain has evolved to cave-man status yet. Maybe these ideas will help someone else too.

Thanks again guys for all your help. John

Gene, I think your solution to my problem was the quickest way for me to get there and durable too. The tool worked like a charm and was very easy to make. The weight is very snug and it doesn't seem to have weakened or deform the C. Board bill at all. Pics attached. Thanks again. John

Lip Weight Setting Tool.jpg

Lip Comparison.jpg

Float Test.jpg

Lip Comparison.jpg

Float Test.jpg

Lip Comparison.jpg

Float Test.jpg

Lip Comparison.jpg

Float Test.jpg